SMF November Challenge 2020 - String Pull Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primrose

Reaction score
Welcome to the November 2020 SMF Soap Challenge. This month’s challenge is the String Pull Technique.

PLEASE READ ALL RULES for the challenge.

SMF Challenge General Rules

1. To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and have been a SMF member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this).

2. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign-up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry. The sign-up list will be posted in this thread.

3. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be sent by private message (via SMF conversations) to registered participants ONLY, so please check your messages when the voting begins.

4. Please do not post photos of your entry until the entry thread is opened. Non-entry photos are always welcome and may be posted in this thread. The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts (other than your entry) where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members, and provide helpful hints you learned along the way.

5. Your soap must be made after the monthly challenge has been announced.

6. You are allowed to change your entry photo until the entry thread closes. If you decide you want another try after you post your entry, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

7. In the spirit of advancing our soap making skills, all members who sign-up for an SMF Challenge do so with the expectation that they will make every attempt to make a soap for the challenge. Writing about your experience in the challenge is encouraged. By doing so, each participant has a better knowledge of your process when voting. We do understand that sometimes things come up in our lives and throw our plans out of whack, however signing up with no intent to participate and only to vote is not in the spirit of the challenges and is not allowed.

8. Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced), but please do post your experiences in the main Challenge thread and be prepared to be encouraged to continue trying.

9. Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please keep your comments polite.

· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The entry thread will open on November 21, 2020 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter).

· After the closing date on November 26, 2020 at 11:59 pm GMT the winning entry will be chosen using Survey Monkey. Voting will be open from November 27 through November 29, 2020 at 11:59 pm GMT, and the winner will be announced on November 30, 2020. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload pictures of your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We always love to see anything you have created.

· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfill the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible, your entry will not be included in the voting.

· All the challenge mods reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.

SPECIFIC RULES FOR THE November, 2020 CHALLENGE

For this challenge you will be creating a design on the surface of a bar of soap using the string-pull technique. Your original bar of soap does not need to be made this month or specifically for this challenge; if you have some spare bars around at home and would like to decorate them with this technique for this month's challenge, that is fine. The string pull part MUST be made during the month of November.

Please enter a picture of at least two bars of soap that you have made with the technique and also show or discussion what material you used for the string pull.

There are no restrictions on design or colour.

The String Pull Soap Technique

The string pull soap technique is based on the acrylic painting technique. I have to admit that I have been wanting to try this for some time, and intended to before this challenge. However, I've been in the process of moving house so I havent been able to. As such, I will also be experimenting with this technique during the month of November. Feel free to experiment with different levels of trace, different designs and also different types of "string" to see what effects you get.

Below I will link a couple of videos showing this in soap, but if you search you tube you can get some great ideas from the acrylic painting videos also.

Good luck and I cant wait to see the discussion and what everyone comes up with

https://www.lisasnaturalherbalcreat...-in-soap-making-acrylic-string-pull-technique

Sign-up list:

1. AliOop - this one has been on my list to try for a long time!
2. Dawni - I want to try this!

So nice that we can practice/use on older bars of soap.. Good way to spruce them up I think, especially if you have plain ones lying around. I sincerely doubt this is doable in HP lol so I've gotta get my CP game out from the closet lol

Sign-Up List:

3. Peachy Clean Soap - I'm in, yay.
4. bookreader451- 10 down 2 to go! I am in
5. glendam - I have plenty of blank soaps!
6. catscankim - these are so pretty

Sign-Up List:

7. linne1gi - I've been wanting to try this technique.

8. msunnerstood - Count me in!

9. peachymoon - Excited for this one.

10. Gardengeek - I have a theory...string theory.

10. Gardengeek - I have a theory...string theory.
11. dibbles - I'll try it...

I experimented this weekend and found that thicker soap works better. I did get a lot of soda ash though. I am wondering if you can pop it into the oven for a few to help the unsaponified soap and avoid soda ash.

At least the bars are made and my new log splitter works great!
[/QUI thought it was a baking show
That’s good to know about thicker trace. I have seen soaps in the oven getting more soda ash actually, but that was from someone else’s video. I have not done it myself

Latest posts

Back