SMF November Challenge 2020 - String Pull Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am loving the entries so far, including the creative use of more than one colour! Well done!

You have about twelve hours still to get your entries in 😁

Thank you for hosting this months challenge @Primrose . I love this technique!!

Here is an attempt that didnt make the cut. I tried to add some gold colored batter for contrast, but it ashed up and isnt quite what i had envisioned.
57A4472E-6996-411C-890E-2CDAFE8064A6.jpeg

@Catscankim they are still very pretty. The one on the bottom right is especially nice I think. I think ash is a hazard of this technique. When I made the feathers for my entry soaps, it was with batter saved from another batch. I forced gel on that other batch with a heating pad and heavy blanket. The feathers were put in there as well and they haven’t really developed any ash on them.

My official entry doesn't have ash...yet. I cpop for a while, so hopefully that helps. also might help that i took pictures before ash formed. I feel like they might not get ash at this point, or maybe minimal. Wasn't sure about sticking them in the oven, with already done soap and raw soap on the top. We shall see... Its an experiment LOL.

I love your feathers. Is that from an actual feather or are you that good? Either way, they are awesome.

Lovely entries, and yes, it is harder than it looks. I had planned to enter, but put it off.

However, it was an adventure: I went around the house taking the pull chains off of our ceiling fans because both stores where I looked for them in my little town, only carried the gold colored ones. So I exchanged some of the (hopefully) stainless steel ones on our fans for the gold-colored ones from the store. I suppose time will tell if they really are stainless steel or not, if they show some sort of reaction to the lye. Oh, and I also used a very thin necklace chain as well. Perhaps I will post my attempts here later; I haven't uploaded the photos to my computer yet.

But I have to say, I just love dibbles' feathers.

I love your feathers. Is that from an actual feather or are you that good? Either way, they are awesome.
Check out the acrylic painting string-pull videos on YT - they show how to make feathers, owls, butterflies - mostly with beaded chain rather than actual string. And def not as easy as they make it look! 😜

Aw, thank you! Not feathers - I used cotton kitchen twine. As @AliOop said, there are some YouTube videos (acrylic paint) showing how to pull the string to make a feather. Be warned - fluid acrylic paint videos are another rabbit hole to fall into.

Latest posts

Back