SMF November 2022 - Trees

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So WHO in their right mind would enter their very first SMF challenge just because they couldn’t resist adding a PUN??? ME, that’s who. Sigh.
I really didn’t have time to make another soap. Let alone a “one and done” with a new-to-me recipe and a new-to-me technique. But I did it! And because I am, if nothing else, a follower of rules, I will post a photo.
If nothing else, I learned a couple things 😆 - and to lift my spirits, a friend who was visiting saw the latest soap and said, “cool! You made trees!”. She thought they look like trees painted by some of the famous Canadian Group of Seven artists. And by golly, they DO! So I will be presenting my windswept Canadian landscape to you next week. Haha!

So WHO in their right mind would enter their very first SMF challenge just because they couldn’t resist adding a PUN??? ME, that’s who. Sigh.
I really didn’t have time to make another soap. Let alone a “one and done” with a new-to-me recipe and a new-to-me technique. But I did it! And because I am, if nothing else, a follower of rules, I will post a photo.
If nothing else, I learned a couple things 😆 - and to lift my spirits, a friend who was visiting saw the latest soap and said, “cool! You made trees!”. She thought they look like trees painted by some of the famous Canadian Group of Seven artists. And by golly, they DO! So I will be presenting my windswept Canadian landscape to you next week. Haha!

Attachments

• 21C628B9-6DC7-424F-8AB7-D94969E18DF3.jpeg
    21C628B9-6DC7-424F-8AB7-D94969E18DF3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Oh my gosh the entry thread is open, I’ve made NO soap, and my guests who arrive in three hours will be here for a week (grandkids and their parents). I’ll do my best but may end up being a cheerleader only for this one. Can’t wait to see the forest of everyone’s trees! 😊🙏🏼🥰

@AliOop I’m sure they would enjoy watching you make a challenge soap 🙂. I’m hoping to have time to make my soap tonight or in the morning. My company is scheduled to arrive in the early afternoon tomorrow and I’m still washing floors, dusting baseboards and cleaning 🚽.

ETA: My soap is done and I'm happy with how it turned out. YAY! It's not as pretty as the one that inspired me, but I didn't want to copy that one exactly.

Last edited:
Ok, after a day of cleaning the house, picking up family at the airport, one grandkid getting injured in the trampoline park, another tossing his cookies (too much sugar), finally everyone was tucked in. So, I made soap! I am hoping it turns out to be a TREE soap so I have an entry. 😁 It was a complex design (for me, anyway).

Not sure there will be another opportunity for another try, especially since I would have to wash soapy dishes first. I must have 20 spatulas, three stickblenders, and uncounted mixing bowls, and all are in the to-be-washed tub. Oh well, I had fun planning it and making it, no matter how it turns out inside.

Well, the tops looks nice, the sky looks great, and they smell quite Christmasy. But there are no trees - just green blobs. 😭 Trying to decide whether to attempt a funky fix, or just make another batch. Right now I'm too full and so happily tired after a house full of company all day. Maybe tomorrow. :)

1. Mobjack - There’s a tree soap I have wanted to make since the moment I saw it. I hope I can pull it off!
2. AliOop - An idea is taking root (pun intended). :)
3. Marsi - branching out 🍃
4.VickiC - yes! 🌳
5. The_Emerald_Chicken - I wood not want to miss out on this challenge 🪵
6. Catscankim - I have a few ideas floating around my head (I might branch out and find a new technique)
7. Mx5inpenn - don't leaf me out! 🌿
8. Janesathome - Wooden miss it! (I’ve been pining to do a tree soap)
9. gitalis - just in time 🎄

I love all the entries so far. It's putting me in the Christmas mood!

@mx5inpenn I had been wanting to try that technique of pouring into a toilet roll for a while now, I think I've seen a video of this and I've been intrigued ever since. I was hoping to try the same technique for the challenge but life got busy this month too. So it's still on my to-try list :)

@Mobjack Bay I love your pine trees! They came out nice! And for the future, feel free to use the same color palette, I would be flattered.

I have not had time to make soap lately, but last week someone asked me to make some Christmas themed soap slabs (for gifting, I doubt they will be used). This is one of them and later I realized it would have fit in the challenge theme.
I was looking for inspiration online and this music box was what I liked the most, but I went with polar bears instead of penguins.

@melonpan Here is a link to the video of the pine trees with toilet paper rolls, in case you want to try it in the future.
4B8F4947-AE6F-4CE1-AC84-BA9C29FB841E.jpeg

@Mobjack Bay I love your pine trees! They came out nice! And for the future, feel free to use the same color palette, I would be flattered.

I have not had time to make soap lately, but last week someone asked me to make some Christmas themed soap slabs (for gifting, I doubt they will be used). This is one of them and later I realized it would have fit in the challenge theme.
I was looking for inspiration online and this music box was what I liked the most, but I went with polar bears instead of penguins.

@melonpan Here is a link to the video of the pine trees with toilet paper rolls, in case you want to try it in the future.View attachment 69736
Wow! So beautiful and creative! 😍

I am so excited to be here. Just checked all the soaps & the techniques everyone is using. So much to learn! Thanks !

For everyone's amusement, here is my non-entry. This was an attempted reverse feather swirl, but as you can see, no feathering happened, not in reverse or forward or any direction whatsoever. 😆

SMF Challenge Nov 2022 non entry.jpg

My entry soap is marginally better, although I feel badly that it is the same color palette as @Mobjack Bay. I really did make the first soap before you posted your entry, and I didn't have enough creativity to come up with a new color palette for the second try. I can now relate to @Zing's struggles with this technique. It just doesn't look that hard, but apparently there is something to it that I'm missing.

Also, both soaps stayed very soft for days - quite unusual for me. I'm at the end of my lye masterbatch and am thinking that perhaps there was enough air in the container that some of it converted into soda ash, leaving the solution quite a bit weaker. I did make a new batch this weekend, so we will see what the next batch of soap may do.

Back