SMF November 2022 - Trees

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primrose

Reaction score
Welcome to the November 2022 SMF Soap Challenge!

Its about this time every year, I attempt to make a reverse hidden feather swirl (tree swirl) as part of my Christmas soaps ... sadly I do not have that particular talent and my tree fails every year 😂

But it got me thinking about how many different ways we can do trees in soap ... so this month's challenge is to create a "Tree Soap" - a soap which has one or more trees in the design. This is a pretty open challenge - you can use any technique you would like - CP, HP or M&P. Some examples for inspiration are below. The only thing that is NOT acceptable would be pouring into a single tree mould (I want to see you challenge yourself and try different techniques to create your vision).

Examples:

Cherry Orchard by @Tara_H
Tara H.jpg

Woodgrain Soap by @Mobjack Bay
Mobjack Bay.jpeg

Feather swirl tree soap:

Christmas tree cupcake soaps:

Soap shapers:

Embeds and layers (how amazing is this soap!):

Apple Tree soap (embeds and layers)

Intaglio/Carved Soap

Intaglio Soap Making - Soap Carving - Soap Challenge Club

By @Salted Fig

Salted Fig.jpg

To participate, please read the general and specific rules below.

SMF Challenge General Rules

1. To enter you must have been a SMF member for at least one month and have a minimum of 50 posts at the time the Challenge is posted (sorry but no exceptions on this). Supporting Members can enter immediately, the time and post requirements are removed.

2. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign-up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry. The sign-up list will be posted in this thread.

3. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be sent by private message (via SMF conversations) to registered participants ONLY, so please check your messages when the voting begins.

4. A separate entry thread will be created and this is where you will post photos of your entry soap. Please do not post photos of your entry until the entry thread is opened. Post pictures of your entry soap only in the challenge entry thread.

Non-entry photos are always welcome and may be posted in the general challenge thread. The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts (other than your entry) where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members, and provide helpful hints you learned along the way.

5. Your soap must be made after the monthly challenge has been announced.

6. In the spirit of advancing our soap making skills, all members who sign-up for a SMF Challenge do so with the expectation that they will make every attempt to make a soap for the challenge. Writing about your experience in the challenge is encouraged. By doing so, each participant has a better knowledge of your process when voting. We do understand that sometimes things come up in our lives and throw our plans out of whack, however signing up with no intent to participate and only to vote is not in the spirit of the challenges and is not allowed.

7. Please add your name to the sign-up list if you wish to participate (you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have made), but please do post your experiences in the main Challenge thread and be prepared to be encouraged to continue trying.

8. Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please keep your comments polite.

Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date.
  • Note: all times listed are Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and it is your responsibility to convert times to your own time zone.
  • The entry thread will open on November 21 by 1:00AM GMT (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter).
  • After the closing date on November 27 at 11:59PM GMT the winning entry will be chosen by a voting survey. Voting will be open until November 29 at 11:59PM GMT and the winner will be announced on November 30. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
  • If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload pictures of your soap to the general challenge thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We always love to see anything you have created.
  • Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfill the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible, your entry will not be included in the voting.
  • All the challenge mods reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.

Specific Rules for this Challenge:

1. This month’s challenge is to create a soap with one or more trees as the focus point of the design.
2. You may use any soap technique you wish to achieve your vision - cold/hot process, melt and pour, swirls, embeds, soap dough, carving, scrapers, sculpted layers ...
3. You may NOT simply pour into an individual cavity tree mould.
4. You may use any number of colours that you wish.
5. Please include a photo of at least two (2) bars in your entry photo.
6. If you would like to add additional photos of the entry soap, a photo or other image of your source(s) of inspiration, a description of the techniques you used make the soap, or any other details about your inspiration or process, please do!

Good luck and I look forward to seeing how creative you can get!

Please copy & paste the list into a new post, then add your name along with the next appropriate number.

1. Mobjack - There’s a tree soap I have wanted to make since the moment I saw it. I hope I can pull it off!

Please copy & paste the list into a new post, then add your name along with the next appropriate number.

1. Mobjack - There’s a tree soap I have wanted to make since the moment I saw it. I hope I can pull it off!
2. AliOop - An idea is taking root (pun intended). :)

3. Marsi - branching out 🍃

I hope I can squeeze in a soaping session this month (finally) as I've been wanting to re-do one of my past soap and it includes a tree! Also, there is a tree technique video I have saved years ago and I still haven't got around to try it. Such an inspiring challenge!

4.VickiC - yes! 🌳
5. The_Emerald_Chicken - I wood not want to miss out on this challenge 🪵

@Vicki C Thank you! i remember your batter accelerating last time Or was it just the discoloration?
I actually plan to redo this design with a 3d printed triangle in a single cavity mold. If it works I might enter the challenge or at least post it here.
I had terrible acceleration with Winter Wonderland - but I love your idea and execution. Might have to have another go for this challenge. Here’s how mine came out. Folks, don’t try this at home unless you know your fragrance will behave!
Post in thread 'Best woods balsam / pine / Christmas tree fragrance'
Best woods balsam / pine / Christmas tree fragrance

4.VickiC - yes! 🌳
6. Catscankim - I have a few ideas floating around my head (I might branch out and find a new technique)

4.VickiC - yes! 🌳
6. Catscankim - I have a few ideas floating around my head (I might branch out and find a new technique)
7. Mx5inpenn - don't leaf me out! 🌿

4.VickiC - yes! 🌳
7. Mx5inpenn - don't leaf me out! 🌿
8. Janesathome - Wooden miss it! (I’ve been pining to do a tree soap)

Last edited:
@Primrose I have a question about the challenge rules. The guidelines state "a soap which has one or more trees in the design." One of the inspiration photos is a woodgrain soap. Is a tree part (such a woodgrain or leaves) sufficient, or should the soap include an entire tree in the design?

@Primrose I have a question about the challenge rules. The guidelines state "a soap which has one or more trees in the design." One of the inspiration photos is a woodgrain soap. Is a tree part (such a woodgrain or leaves) sufficient, or should the soap include an entire tree in the design?
EC - I don’t necessarily think the entire tree needs to be in the soap, as long as the main design of the soap is a tree or part of a tree I think is fine (which is why I included the wood grain soap)

Back