SMF November 2019 Challenge - Spin Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great @Kosmerta!

Posted my entry. I'm allowed to edit and change the pic before the end date for entries, yes? Looking at it now I'm not very satisfied with the picture...

Really very nicely done @Dawni ! I have a special place in my heart for HP soap and I think yours turned out wonderfully!
All the entries so far are beautiful, I love this technique, it seems like every soap turns out nice even the so-called failures (especially @mommycarlson's 'failure' was amazing!!) And I'm really liking the blue theme that seems to be going on here.:cool:

@Mobjack Bay ahhhh! So pretty the blue on blue with the white! Elegant!

@SideDoorSoaps this is so earthy, it reminds me of moss and forests love it!

@Dawni you know, it’s beautiful! The orange is soft and compliments the blue, the muddiness is ok, it gives a water color feel to the soap

@MarnieSoapien love it! Such a lovely palette of color! Nice pattered through all the pieces!

Last edited:
@Kiti Williams, you have many colors that I love in your soap and I did as you.....I pasted emulsion
@szaza, WoW! You tackled a lot of colors and got nice bright yellow and orange
@DKing, I like your purple and pink and you nailed the 'grout' with they very thin lines with you charcoal
@SoapySuds, You've got a seashell hiding in your soap......cooool. I also see a swordfish at the top of your other bar with a pointed beaked bird on the bottom.
upload_2019-11-27_19-19-47.png

@mommycarlson, You nailed the depth of colors with your 6 choices, something missing in my 2nd attempt (I also chose 6 colors) but I know it was my EVOO that did it.
@Karmic and @bookreader451, Your color scheme might have been the same but both still both unique in design, I almost went with that very color set thining I need more soap for the fellows in my family. Lol, guess the gals will be getting more soap that the guys.
@dibbles, as usual, really nice soap and I too love how the colors wrap around the sides (and corners too). You also have a nice 'grout' going on in your soap.
@Mobjack Bay, I absolutely love the blues and purple.......not sure which I like best, those with little white or the bar that contains more.
@SideDoorSoaps, Lol, one of mine looks much like yours; my green didn't show up as well as yours. The twists and turns of ours are also similar which I had to show my hubby so he could see my soap's twin.
@Dawni, You CONTINUALLY amaze me with your HP soap! A nice bright orange, better than my orange and mine was not HP.
@MarnieSoapien, Yours made me think of my 2nd try, maybe it was just the orange and blue but I think the shapes of the twists also looked like the paths mine took.

So many lovely soaps and wonderful colors. It'll be hard to decide.

szaza - Your soap is psychedelic! I am a child of the 60's /70's, so this touches my soul!

DKing - Yours looks like some marble my Gran had, so pretty!

SoapySuds - Stark, bold swirls, very brave!

mommycarlson - Soft mellow colors! A sweet looking soap.

Karmic and bookreader451 - Tell us, did you 2 collaborate with you color choice? Simple but complex.

dibbles - That peach color really has great contrast with the blues.

Mobjack Bay - Sweet blues! Such a calming color combination.

SideDoorSoaps - Wow! This soap has things to say, and it not afraid!

Dawni - You are going to have to do a YouTube on how you do what you do with a HP soap!

MarnieSoapien - Your soap came out so well! I really like it!

Michele50 - Your swirls came out so fancy!

This is going to be a real challenge to pick the top 3!

@Michele50, thank you :) Also, annatto is awesome lol I like how yours turned out very much.

@Kiti Williams I don't believe I am experienced enough to attempt taping myself while soaping lol but a lot of the fluidity is because of the recipe itself, and in this case, additives that help with it. I've been testing my theory about the rice water/rice puree and I'll post about that soon.

None of the 3 attempts were as fluid as they needed to be, but each was my fault for one reason or another. Still yet, I did like the patterns of each. I was shooting for autumn colors here in Oklahoma--a bit of green to reds/maroons and then gold to yellow. I even added a tad bit of blue for the sky. This was my 2nd attmept.

The 50% EVOO messed with my colors, as I expected but hoped it wouldn't go too far in distorting them. What looks to be black is actually 'green,' all are actually a bit brighter. Even my backdrop that's a nice pretty light blue is washed out by my flash. Since I made all of these Sunday-Tuesday I was up cutting, planing and beveling them til about 3 a.m.

I found a larger box, 10.25" x 6.5" so more suitable for swirling. I did use my squeeze bottles but the batter got so thick b/4 I was done I ended up with almost 1.5 cups of batter I put in a silicone cylindrical cup and had 4 circular bars.

The top right and left bars are very much like the roads from town to our home out in the country; don't blink or you'll be offroad and airborne.
PB270220_3.jpg

My 3rd attempt. This got so thick b/4 halfway but I'm glad I didn't go with dragging a chopstick through it and call it quits. Had someone spun me around as forcefully as I did this, I would've thrown up. Batter flying :D and so much twilling that I even got a bit dizzy :confused: :).

I was determined to get some movement in the design and the way I jerked it around I was hoping for success at least in the middle area. I only 18% EVOO but still the colors didn't come through for me. This one I chose to make more of the TD than the rest, about the same amount of reds and green but less black and yellow. The green I chose (below) wasn't this dark, but rather, a pretty green. I think the tinted greenish oil mix messed with the colors. I have some pure olive oil on order now; I use to keep some on hand, time to do so again.
PB270197_3.jpg

Color was the main reason for choosing to submit my 1st attempt, while it had 'some' swirl I liked #2 and #3 more.

To have an idea of just how muted the colors were in some of my attempts, the 'reds' and green were in all of them and yellow in two of them. It's all a learning experience and I love learning.

IMG-6637.jpg

When I was pouring my entry soap, I also poured some leftover batter in a square mold and left it ungelled.
I think the patterns of this pour aren't as nice as the big mold and it was a lot of work to clean up all the soda ash (which left me with very unevenly sized bars) but the colors actually turned out a lot better than I expected. (The lighting on this picture is also way better than my actual entry.. sigh)IMG_20191127_112037.jpg

Did the voting start for this? I never got a link if it has. Not that I'd have any idea who to vote for. There's way to many excellent soaps

@Kiti Williams totaly wasn't planned to twin this but I'm really amused. Great minds think alike :cool:

Did the voting start for this? I never got a link if it has. Not that I'd have any idea who to vote for. There's way to many excellent soaps
I am in the same boat with not knowing how to vote. Sometimes I think I know which way I will vote, but then I will go back and look again and I change my mind....then I go back and it changes again. They are all really great so picking my favorites is a bit tough.

@Kiti Williams totaly wasn't planned to twin this but I'm really amused. Great minds think alike :cool:
I haven't gotten a link to vote either so maybe it hasn't been sent out yet. I'm like you, very hard to vote this time; I love all of them :eek:. Maybe we'll get to vote for the best 15, lol.

And the 'great minds think alike" entered my own mind when I noticed that you guys chose the same colors. I had to chuckle that there could very well have been 3 of them; I was going to go that same route.

I am sorry I am late posting the voting link. I totally forgot yesterday, although I did remember the day before. Today while driving south from Missouri where I met up with my husband for Thanksgiving, it suddenly came to me. Of course I had to wait until I arrived at my hotel tonight, which I have just done. Give me about an hour to get it all together and I will send everyone the voting link.

Latest posts

Back