SMF May Challenge- Interpretation, not Imitation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Welcome to May's SMF Soap Challenge!

PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST (and ALL Rules)-

General Rules:
1.The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be PM'ed to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's when the voting begins.

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome!

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

SMF Challenge General Rules
· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
· Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
· The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
· Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The thread will open on May 18, 2016 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)
· After the closing date May 25, 2016 the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced on May 31, 2016. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.
· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.
· Newbie, Saponista, Lionproncess00, Sonya-m and GalaxyMLP reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for for voting.

MAY CHALLENGE- INTERPRETATION, NOT IMITATION

For this challenge, you will look at the pictures below and choose one to use as the basis for your soap. Find something about one that catches you- a mood, a tone, a feeling, a movement, a line, or whatever your mind goes to. You will then make a soap, using the color palette of the photo you choose, that tries to capture that essence you noticed.

This challenge is not at all about repeating a picture in soap. I WILL get on you if you try to make a copy of the picture and I chose pictures that would make that difficult, to deter you from trying. This is about how you interpret something you see and put it into soap. I want your spin on it. I know there is voting at the end, but the voting should be the last thing on your mind. This is about your personal experience with the picture and with your soap. Your interpretation may be extremely abstract or it may be very detailed in its own way but should try to elicit in the viewer something about what attracted you.

You may use any mold.
You may use any technique.
You may use cp/mp embeds.
You must use a minimum of 4 colors and all colors you use MUST be present in the picture you use. If a color is not present in the picture, you may not use it. Be as accurate as you can.
You must dip heavily into your creative side.
Your entry will consist of a copy of the picture you drew from and a picture of one bar of soap, more than one bar if you like, but one bar minimum. Tell us anything you like about the making of your soap, because everyone loves some backstory and/or info.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZvcA0evJaQ[/ame]

Making the scale soap. Not the best framing of the video but it's too late now.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pAEzcfiYlE[/ame]

Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 10.20.02 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 1.19.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 8.30.30 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 11.32.25 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 11.33.36 PM.jpg

Last edited:

1. Sonya-m - no clue where I'm going with this yet but excited to see where I end up!

1. Sonya-m - no clue where I'm going with this yet but excited to see where I end up!
2. MySoapyHeart. *Puts on safetygear, cracks fingers, stares into camera* Ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille...

2. Penelopejane - I'd really, really like to put up an entry for this challenge. It's colours though so I'm not sure...

2. MySoapyHeart. *Puts on safetygear, cracks fingers, stares into camera* Ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille...
3. Penelopejane - I'd really, really like to put up an entry for this challenge. It's colours though so I'm not sure...
4. Navaria- gonna sign up so I can at least vote, time permitting I'll participate. Gonna be crazy this month!

Last edited:

3. Penelopejane - I'd really, really like to put up an entry for this challenge. It's colours though so I'm not sure...
4. Navaria- gonna sign up so I can at least vote, time permitting I'll participate. Gonna be crazy this month!
5. maya- I'm with Navaria on this. I will see if I have enough time. But I realllllllllly wanna!

All the pictures are missing and have a broken image icon. I will have to have a look on the PC when I get home. I've tried restarting the app to no avail. :(

5. maya- I'm with Navaria on this. I will see if I have enough ttime. But I realllllllllly wanna!
6. LisaAnne I know what I want to do and if I can't pull it off it will one very ugly soap. Which is fine, I make lots of those.

5. maya- I'm with Navaria on this. I will see if I have enough time. But I realllllllllly wanna!
6. dibbles - Dusting off my thinking cap...

7. Steve85569 - No idea but I know I'll make a couple of batches for this ...

7. Steve85569 - No idea but I know I'll make a couple of batches for this ..
8. snappyllama- Am I the only one worried that I'll pick one inspiration picture but my soap will be suited for a different one?

Looks like LisaAnne posted while I was typing. Adding her back in.

6. LisaAnne I know what I want to do and if I can't pull it off it will one very ugly soap. Which is fine, I make lots of those.
7. dibbles - Dusting off my thinking cap...
8. Steve85569 - No idea but I know I'll make a couple of batches for this ..
9. snappyllama- Am I the only one worried that I'll pick one inspiration picture but my soap will be suited for a different one?

9. snappyllama- Am I the only one worried that I'll pick one inspiration picture but my soap will be suited for a different one?
10. KristaY-My creative light bulb needs higher wattage for this one.....

I posted the video of making the scale/feather soap. It took forever to upload. Again, not necessary for the challenge so skip if you'd like. It's over 13 minutes long of pouring....yawn!

11. mzimm- I'm an idiot with colors, and a kindergartener in technique....sounds like two perfect reasons to join in!

11. mzimm- I'm an idiot with colors, and a kindergartener in technique....sounds like two perfect reasons to join in!
12. doriettefarm - I'm pretty stoked about this challenge after reading the rules and seeing the inspiration pics. There's a technique I've been wanting to try that lends itself perfectly to one of the pics . . . plus I've got all the right colors!

12. doriettefarm - I'm pretty stoked about this challenge after reading the rules and seeing the inspiration pics. There's a technique I've been wanting to try that lends itself perfectly to one of the pics . . . plus I've got all the right colors!
13. Judiraz- It may take all month to figure this out! #13 wasn't good last month...hope I have better luck in May

13. Judiraz- It may take all month to figure this out! #13 wasn't good last month...hope I have better luck in May
14. BlackDog - Nothing to be ashamed of, newbie, I have a wookie at my house too.

Back