SMF May 2023 Challenge: Spoon or Spatula Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gah! I've got a feeling mine won't qualify. I may or may not have time for a second attempt tomorrow. It was unbelievable! I might've just made my ugliest soap yet! I did two colors. One color was fragranced and set up FAST while the unfragranced just would not trace beyond light/med despite my sb's very best high powered effort. It was like plopping turds in ketchup and then attempting to use a spoon just made everything so. much. worse. I chopped at all the bits with my spatula to make the best of it so at least I'll have a great smelling functional soap because I doubt I'll let anyone see this batch, family included!
Note to self: Dragon's Blood accelerates. I had read that DB discolors which is why I only fragranced the darker colored batter, but I had no idea it accerates or I would have planned accordingly.

Last edited:
Gah! I've got a feeling mine won't qualify. I may or may not have time for a second attempt tomorrow. It was unbelievable! I might've just made my ugliest soap yet! I did two colors. One color was fragranced and set up FAST while the unfragranced just would not trace beyond light/med despite my sb's very best high powered effort. It was like plopping turds in ketchup and then attempting to use a spoon just made everything so. much. worse. I chopped at all the bits with my spatula to make the best of it so at least I'll have a great smelling functional soap because I doubt I'll let anyone see them, family included!
Note to self: Dragon's Blood accelerates. I had read that DB discolors which is why I only fragranced the darker colored batter, but I had no idea it accerates or I would have planned accordingly.
Good news, if you followed the rules, the soap qualifies as an entry whether it is ugly or not. I've submitted plenty of ugly entries in my day!

Oh man, I wish I wouldn't have taken a peak. It's even uglier than I imagined. I thought DB discolored to brown. That part is now dark green/brown! Looks to me like the top of a spinach pizza right now 🤦

I just took it out of the mold and pulled it out of the freezer paper. It looks like a brick of moldy cheese. I see a rebatch in my near future.
If the color is the problem, how is rebatching going to fix it? It's going to continue to darken as it is exposed to the air, so you may end up liking it's final color.

I ask, because I hate doing a rebatch, myself. I'd rather do a confetti or ciaglia.

If the color is the problem, how is rebatching going to fix it? It's going to continue to darken as it is exposed to the air, so you may end up liking it's final color.

I ask, because I hate doing a rebatch, myself. I'd rather do a confetti or ciaglia.
I not a huge rebatch fan, either, but I don't want to make an even bigger loaf of soap than this already is by making Ciaglia or confetti. I would've accomplished a more uniform bar of ugliness, I suppose.

@Servant4Christ I really like your soap it has a cool marbled kind of look to it! I think it turned out pretty good. Ive been wondering what dragon blood smells like.
Thanks. One of the bars reminds me of a silhouette of a tree from one of those Nature channel documentary programs. The others make me think of lava or fire and brimstone.

Shoot I am not going to have an entry again this month, gosh darn it. Well, here is a spoon swirl I made before the challenge, I was thinking of doing a crab for my entry, but no embeds allowed. Then I was thinking of other designs, mostly at 3:00 am which is when my mind gears up every day with amazing soap ideas. But time slipped away. The entries are all beautiful!

IMG_1764.jpeg

Here is the spoon swirl with mica lines that doesn't qualify. Three shades of pink with gold mica lines between the layers, scented in Midnight Peony.
View attachment 72789
I love the look of mica lines in this type of spoon swirl very nice I tried this with my first batch and loved it. Yours looks very nice love those pinks.

Back