SMF May 2023 Challenge: Spoon or Spatula Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@AliOop The first soap with lemongrass and sage does not seem deserving of being shredded, sure, it wasn’t what you had in mind but it looks cool with that color combination, unless you are concerned the ricing created lye pockets or something along those lines.
Thank you for the kind words, Glenda! Unfortunately, the sides and bottoms of those bars have big gaps, because the batter was so thick that I couldn't get it fully pounded into the mold. Also, you can't really see it in the photo, but the uncolored lumps of batter in the colored top really clash (color-wise) with the yellow base. I do hope to try again with those colors!

Oh no I'm panicking @KiwiMoose I took the time to read everybody's messages and just found out I can't use mica lines which I did use in my soap oh boy I'm going to have to make another batch hopefully I find time because I'm so busy getting ready to go camping and I will begone all week end shoot! My soap looked nice too to bad. 🤪 .

Last edited:
Well it's 1:30 am in the morning after making soap all day I did it I made some new batches for the challenge I hope they turn out. I made 2 batches to choose from. I can cut tomorrow right before I leave for 🏕 camping. We'll here's a picture of the first batch I made for the challenge with the mica lines I really loved it I wish I could of entered it. It's a charcoal soap made with black licorice EO mixed with lavender EO I used 4 colors black, grey, white and a purple mica line in-between each layer. I used a tsp to swirl. I gotta get to bed now need to wake up at 4am.
20230509_093329.jpg

1. Servant4Christ
2. The_Phoenix - A spoonful of soap makes the grime go down the drain.
3. AliOop - This is my go-to rescue technique for those suddenly-thick batters. Ya never know how it will look but it's usually pretty!
4. dmcgee5034 - spoon swirl-tastic! Never done this one, so happy to learn it
5. Mx5inpenn - my 1st smf challenge was a spoon swirl
6. basti - an excuse to test my new mold i think
7. Cerelife
8. Vicki C 🌪
9. Nicolesica—I think life has calmed down enough for me to take up the challenge. Besides, I have several FO’s that accelerate like crazy, so a perfect opportunity to use them up!
10. The_Emerald_Chicken - It's high time I try this!...plus I need to be making more soap.
11. Blue 1969 - This one seems easy enough for a beginner like me to try - but as we know, sometimes it just looks easier than it is!
12. glendam - This one seems attainable for the time I can steal away for soap making
13. CLMP oh this looks fun can't wait!
14. Tammyfarms - my first challenge 😬. Mostly challenging myself to make more soap and experiment with techniques. Excited!
15. Mobajck - 2 soaps, 2 spoons, with too, too much anticipation…
16. VikingChick - I wasn't sure if I'd have time this month, but I do! I'll give it a shot....
17. Blufuz - finally! a technique fit for my complete inability to control trace 😅
18. Rhonda J - Been gone a long, long, long time - the perfect way to get things going again :D

Haha thank you! We were given an extra one on a Blizzard night a few months ago, so it got added to my army of plastic cutlery I use as soap tools. Waste not want not 😁
When i lived in the US I tried an Oreo Blizzard for the very first time (we didn't have Dairy Queens in NZ - and still don't even now, nor did we have Oreos here, but we do now) . OMG YUM!! I was hooked.

1. Servant4Christ
2. The_Phoenix - A spoonful of soap makes the grime go down the drain.
3. AliOop - This is my go-to rescue technique for those suddenly-thick batters. Ya never know how it will look but it's usually pretty!
4. dmcgee5034 - spoon swirl-tastic! Never done this one, so happy to learn it
5. Mx5inpenn - my 1st smf challenge was a spoon swirl
6. basti - an excuse to test my new mold i think
7. Cerelife
8. Vicki C 🌪
9. Nicolesica—I think life has calmed down enough for me to take up the challenge. Besides, I have several FO’s that accelerate like crazy, so a perfect opportunity to use them up!
10. The_Emerald_Chicken - It's high time I try this!...plus I need to be making more soap.
11. Blue 1969 - This one seems easy enough for a beginner like me to try - but as we know, sometimes it just looks easier than it is!
12. glendam - This one seems attainable for the time I can steal away for soap making
13. CLMP oh this looks fun can't wait!
14. Tammyfarms - my first challenge 😬. Mostly challenging myself to make more soap and experiment with techniques. Excited!
15. Mobajck - 2 soaps, 2 spoons, with too, too much anticipation…
16. VikingChick - I wasn't sure if I'd have time this month, but I do! I'll give it a shot....
17. Blufuz - finally! a technique fit for my complete inability to control trace 😅
18. Rhonda J - Been gone a long, long, long time - the perfect way to get things going again :D
19. sweethavenarts- another one gone for a while and getting back into it!

I've been waiting on mica to show up in the mail specifically for this challenge and it's not here yet. Somehow my package got redirected to the other side of my state by accident and is taking the scenic route to get here. So, I've recalculated everything and changed my plan entirely. We'll see what I come up with tonight because time's almost up.

Latest posts

Back