SMF May 2022 Challenge - Infinity Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@earlene Thanks so much for illuminating the differences In the techniques, with the added bonus of a soap making history lesson.

(Please copy & paste the list into a new post, then add your name along with the next appropriate number.)

1. AliOop - I love this technique!
2. Mx6inpenn - I haven't done this one in a looooong time!
3. Jersey Girl- Another one I haven’t tried. I hope my caterpillar gets here this week!
4. Sunibee (aka Sunitta B) .. looking fwd to doing this again... Loong time
5. ScentimentallyYours - Hooray, infinity swirl was already on To-Do list!
6. Soaplover - I am looking forward to this Challenge. Blessings!
7. LisaBoBisa - great way to kick off summer break!
8. gardengeek - can't wait to try this out
9. Mobjack - the infinite color options are now swirling in my head!

I asked the same question.
It appears to me as if it has evolved to that, but originally, I believe it started out the same as the Infinity Swirl, and later as soapers became more inventive, the multi-color mix in at least one of the sections began to be the norm.
[/QUOTe

Thanks for the clarification and the links. I did see November 2021 Mantra Challenge site yesterday...wowza! Such talent!

I notice in several videos on the mantra swirl, the dividers are not always evening spaced, but in the Infinity swirl, it looks like they are supposed to be evenly spaced. However, with home-made dividers sometimes a prefectly equal distance is harder to obtain, so it's fine if they are slightly unevenly spaced.

But for this SMF Challenge, we are doing the simpler Infinity swirl, where the colors in each divider are one single solid color.

I did my first try today. Halfway through my figure eights (right in the center of the loaf) my brain disconnected from my hand. I don't know what my hand was doing but it's obvious it wasn't what is was supposed to be doing. I was able to recover in the last third of the loaf so hopefully I'll get a few good bars from both ends.

I had a set of dividers for the mold I used today so they are spaced evenly. There's not much working space with a tall skinny mold divided into 3 sections but I do like how the colors seem to swirl into the adjacent colors more. And I'm glad the colors are solid per divider, makes it easier for learning a new technique.

Thanks again and Happy Mother's day everyone!

I did my first try today. Halfway through my figure eights (right in the center of the loaf) my brain disconnected from my hand. I don't know what my hand was doing but it's obvious it wasn't what is was supposed to be doing. I was able to recover in the last third of the loaf so hopefully I'll get a few good bars from both ends.

I had a set of dividers for the mold I used today so they are spaced evenly. There's not much working space with a tall skinny mold divided into 3 sections but I do like how the colors seem to swirl into the adjacent colors more. And I'm glad the colors are solid per divider, makes it easier for learning a new technique.

Thanks again and Happy Mother's day everyone!

I am looking forward to seeing how they look in a T&S mold versus the wider loaf mold.

@earlene Thanks so much for illuminating the differences In the techniques, with the added bonus of a soap making history lesson.

(Please copy & paste the list into a new post, then add your name along with the next appropriate number.)

3. Jersey Girl- Another one I haven’t tried. I hope my caterpillar gets here this week!
10.linne1gi - I'm going to try! Still unpacking boxes in our new house.

10.linne1gi - I'm going to try! Still unpacking boxes in our new house.
11. Relle - time is getting away, first try at this.

One and done didn’t quite work out due to a of lack of contrast in the color scheme, but re-do two is entry worthy. I used a new to me FO, a modified recipe and a lower lye concentration than usual becuase I wanted to try adding more sugar than I have been. I’m happy to report that WSP’s FO Lemongrass and Green Tea seems to have done its job of decelerating trace.

I tried this last month when I got some sample sets from Nurture Soap. I first used the Brazilian clays an experiment again with palm oil instead of my usual lard, it was such a soft soap! Maybe I will try out my neon sample set for this challenge… 🤔
F01B128E-4E26-43F5-9686-00B0F90F0E7F.jpeg
ETA: after reading more closely, I do believe the soap above is indeed a mantra swirl! My bad! 😳

Last edited:
@Relle, I am so sorry to read about the lye burns! I hope they were minimal and not extensive.
That's what I get from trying to do soap before going out to lunch, I had 1 1/2 hrs to spare and thought I had enough time as everything was already prepped ahead. I didn't factor in things going wrong. I got soap across my chin, must have splashed up from the stick blender, a blister between my fingers and another on top of my hand. Next time I won't do soap unless I'm home for the day. They're not too bad, flushed with water, the one on the chin is still noticeable, but that doesn't worry me, it is what it is.

Lotus & Willow, they said. Beautiful scent that does not accelerate, they said. 😩

Beautiful, yes. Slow-moving? Not exactly. So despite soaping at low temps, splitting just at stable emulsion, and hand-stirring from there, we have another chunky Infinity Swirl. Not sure if I have the will to try again.

Lotus & Willow, they said. Beautiful scent that does not accelerate, they said. 😩

Beautiful, yes. Slow-moving? Not exactly. So despite soaping at low temps, splitting just at stable emulsion, and hand-stirring from there, we have another chunky Infinity Swirl. Not sure if I have the will to try again.
For a simple technique, it looks like a lot are having trouble with their soap. I used Lychee/Black Tea as I know it doesn't accelerate, but had other issues ☹️. I suppose you'll have to figure out if it's worth the time to have another go.😣

Back