SMF May 2021 Challenge - One Pot Wonder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
too late to enter, but this is my opw attempt using rhubarb to colour a salt bar
opw salt rhubarb.jpg

i have enjoyed see how amazing you all have made this technique

My too-late-to enter post:

Here is my second attempt, which was going to be entered just on principal, because I tried. It certainly didn't come out as well as I had hoped, but thank you @amd for the challenge.

For this try, I decided to do two layers of pours into the mold, again using a T&S mold (from cmzaha's de-stash a few months back). I chose these 5 colors:
Glitzy Green Neon (Micas & More)
Bodacious Blue (Micas & More)
Tangerine Wow (Brambleberry)
Electric Bubblegum (Brambleberry)
Yellow Vibrance (Nurture Soap)

The first four colors are neons, and the last is not. Because the neons can get very bright, I used less that than previously so the soap wouldn't be too glaringly bright. I used the same 5 colors in both layers, but in a different order poured into the pour-pots. Here are the photos of the 2 different Pots, where I have identified the order the colors were poured into the pots:

First layer prep:
1622378177076.png

The arrow shows where I poured each color down the wall of the vessel. This pot is so tall, that I had to tilt it to get the colors in and still see what I was doing. The 5 colors are visible in their individual cups toward the top of the photo.

The second layer pot using a smaller vessel:
1622378394800.png

As you can see, the batter was thickening up quite a bit by the time I poured the colors into the second layer Pot. This gave the first layer time to rest and settle a bit in the mold while I poured into the smaller vessel.

8 bars of the finished soap:

1622379183884.png

I will try to master this technique in the future. Thank you for the challenge, amd.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I used Mahogany Teakwood FO, which actually smells like a man's aftershave and not like I was hoping it would. Not a good match for these colors at all, IMO. But I think my husband will be fine with that.

Oh, and now that the voting survey is fixed, I was able to vote. 21 entries and so many gorgeous soaps. It's amazing the variations that one can get from this pour. Everyone's entries and rejects were great!

My too-late-to enter post:

Here is my second attempt, which was going to be entered just on principal, because I tried. It certainly didn't come out as well as I had hoped, but thank you @amd for the challenge.

For this try, I decided to do two layers of pours into the mold, again using a T&S mold (from cmzaha's de-stash a few months back). I chose these 5 colors:
Glitzy Green Neon (Micas & More)
Bodacious Blue (Micas & More)
Tangerine Wow (Brambleberry)
Electric Bubblegum (Brambleberry)
Yellow Vibrance (Nurture Soap)

The first four colors are neons, and the last is not. Because the neons can get very bright, I used less that than previously so the soap wouldn't be too glaringly bright. I used the same 5 colors in both layers, but in a different order poured into the pour-pots. Here are the photos of the 2 different Pots, where I have identified the order the colors were poured into the pots:

First layer prep:
View attachment 57991
The arrow shows where I poured each color down the wall of the vessel. This pot is so tall, that I had to tilt it to get the colors in and still see what I was doing. The 5 colors are visible in their individual cups toward the top of the photo.

The second layer pot using a smaller vessel:
View attachment 57992
As you can see, the batter was thickening up quite a bit by the time I poured the colors into the second layer Pot. This gave the first layer time to rest and settle a bit in the mold while I poured into the smaller vessel.

8 bars of the finished soap:

View attachment 57994

I will try to master this technique in the future. Thank you for the challenge, amd.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I used Mahogany Teakwood FO, which actually smells like a man's aftershave and not like I was hoping it would. Not a good match for these colors at all, IMO. But I think my husband will be fine with that.

Oh, and now that the voting survey is fixed, I was able to vote. 21 entries and so many gorgeous soaps. It's amazing the variations that one can get from this pour. Everyone's entries and rejects were great!
Nice Visual & Description, We'll Done. 🤗🧼🙌🏼

Latest posts

Back