SMF May 2021 Challenge - One Pot Wonder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I was greatly inspired by @The_Phoenix ombre soap and I’m itching to make soap... so I’m going to try it today with my green tea powder. I change the super fat in my recipe from 5% to 3% just to see the difference... anything I should prepare for?

I’m kinda excited to vote! There are so many beautiful soaps to choose from!!!
I’ll be curious to see if the matcha powder adds color to the cured soap. I used spinach powder, green mica, and green oxide. It was a colorant team effort. 🤪

Recipe was 1% sf and a 1.9:1 water:lye ratio. I knew I’d be adding oil to disperse my colorants so a lower sf ensured that I didn’t end up with a over-sf’ed soap. Also, a lower sf helped it unmold more easily. The T&S silicone liner makes unmolding a softer batch tricky. I dented my entry batch trying to get it out.

I’ll be curious to see if the matcha powder adds color to the cured soap. I used spinach powder, green mica, and green oxide. It was a colorant team effort. 🤪
My matcha powder cure a brown color with dark speckles usually. I really like it for some reason. Plus I’m using a fo that cure to light tan according to the website. So we will see! I just really liked your ombré effect! Beautiful!

Well that didn’t go as planned. The FO accelerated a wee bit and I mixed up my measurement/color plan and it just all looks the same color... so we’ll see when I cut it, but pretty sure it not going to look anywhere near ombré or OPW- ish! 🤨🙄

ETA: cut picture

A7192C39-9823-4400-946C-7A8BE8A401E2.jpeg

I do love the color... can’t wait to see how it cures!

Last edited:
I just got a very cautiously worded PM
amd said:
May Voting Link
May I, or may I not? :rolleyes:

Thank you so much @amd for hosting this amazing challenge with all its surprisingly surprising outcomes! And thank you everyone who participated (within the challenge, and outside) for all the gorgeous results!
Once again, the most difficult part of any challenge is to somehow decide for 3 and against 18 (!!!) submissions.

😍😍😍😍😍

I couldn't resist! When my batter stayed fluid enough I hurried and grabbed the things I needed for a OPW, setting my mold into another mold box like someone here did (I can't remember sorry) and poured this watermelon soap. It acted so strangely after I poured it. The soap in the mold thickened up but the remaining batter in the pitcher stayed fluid forever. As I eased batter on top the batter was leaking a clear fluid. It all seemed to absorb back in as it was gone when I unmolded the soap. It's a new FO for me, Watermelon Sorbet from RE. Colors are Celadon, Summer Crush and Raspberry Red mixed with Really Red. All from Nurture.
This try I poured on the side of the pitcher.
0528210945a.jpg

0528210949.jpg
0528210949_HDR.jpg
0529211612~2.jpg

I couldn't resist! When my batter stayed fluid enough I hurried and grabbed the things I needed for a OPW, setting my mold into another mold box like someone here did (I can't remember sorry) and poured this watermelon soap. It acted so strangely after I poured it. The soap in the mold thickened up but the remaining batter in the pitcher stayed fluid forever. As I eased batter on top the batter was leaking a clear fluid. It all seemed to absorb back in as it was gone when I unmolded the soap. It's a new FO for me, Watermelon Sorbet from RE. Colors are Celadon, Summer Crush and Raspberry Red mixed with Really Red. All from Nurture.
This try I poured on the side of the pitcher. View attachment 57975
View attachment 57972View attachment 57973View attachment 57974
Thats amazing' seeds & all. 🍉🍉🍉🤗💫

I just voted for our May OPW Challenge. All the soap entries are fantastic and unique in their own special way, we are all winners' well done my fellow soaper's ❤️🤗💫.

@amd:
Thank you for hosting our May OPW Challenge & choosing a fun design 😘🤗.

It’s REALLY weird knowing that people are watching me make soap. And it’s a REALLY long video. Does making soap really take 35+ minutes? 😂🤣
Thank you for watching! Now I have to figure out how to shorten and narrate it. Hmmm.
One picture is worth a million bucks and one video is priceless! I like the “real deal“ videos so much better than the edited ones because I learn so much more. I can’t wait to see the cut soap. I’m sure it will be beautiful.

And it’s a REALLY long video. Does making soap really take 35+ minutes? 😂🤣
Yes. Tbf, I was more attentive throughout this time than with many other (shorter) videos. No stupid music, no boring chatter. Nothing for the impatient, yes, but neither is making the soap. Videos like this just tell the watchers with every unabridged second how reality really is. Would she – does she? – can't she? YES THANKS that you fished out that two stubborn crumbs of dirt out of the batter in the beginning! A “good” video would have cut such a thing out. Things happen by strategic cut, time-lapse, annoying post-processing subtitles, and magic. Not with you (except the infinite supply of spatulas 😍).

It's past 2am here, and this was the perfect ASMR-ish conclusion for a long day. Thanks for sharing! 😀🤗😌

One tiny technical thing that bugged me when you beat the SB: somehow A-V is out of sync by about 100 ms. It was easy to fix for me, but so should it for you. My inner perfectionist would be very thankful if you have the chance to fix that audio delay.

Yes. Tbf, I was more attentive throughout this time than with many other (shorter) videos. No stupid music, no boring chatter. Nothing for the impatient, yes, but neither is making the soap. Videos like this just tell the watchers with every unabridged second how reality really is. Would she – does she? – can't she? YES THANKS that you fished out that two stubborn crumbs of dirt out of the batter in the beginning! A “good” video would have cut such a thing out. Things happen by strategic cut, time-lapse, annoying post-processing subtitles, and magic. Not with you (except the infinite supply of spatulas 😍).

It's past 2am here, and this was the perfect ASMR-ish conclusion for a long day. Thanks for sharing! 😀🤗😌

One tiny technical thing that bugged me when you beat the SB: somehow A-V is out of sync by about 100 ms. It was easy to fix for me, but so should it for you. My inner perfectionist would be very thankful if you have the chance to fix that audio delay.
Fix the audio delay? Ummm, that’s way above my pay grade.

Yeah, those two flecks are an embarrassment. I think they were pieces of soap. And I’ve never had that happen. Go figure, right? I saw them immediately. Normally I’d have stopped what I was doing and fish them out immediately but, seeing as I was recording myself I didn’t know what to do! I couldn’t leave them in there!

Anyway, I hope @Vicki C got something out of the video. 😁

Kitty Baby got home okay last night, but before that she was so much enjoying the excitement of the moment that she bounded across the lawns for 1/2 the block and back again several times, running like a rabbit being chased. It was as it she had taken a stimulant. I remember a kitten we had when my boys were little, who charged around the house, climbing the walls and running along my wool drapes like in a cartoon. It was hilarious. Only that was indoors.

She finally came to me after Hubby went inside and I sat in a chair waiting for her and singing to her. She was ready to come inside and eat some wet cat food. I may have even said something along the lines of, "Kitty Baby, do you want to come in and eat?" But either way, she came inside and I was relieved!

After I get some relief from the headache I currently have, I'll post my pics I started on yesterday. And I'll try and decide which soaps to vote for, but I may not do that until tomorrow because I really don't want to make my headache worse.

@DKing, I am sorry to read about your Dad's diagnosis. I do understand the shock to hear those words and what it does to a daughter and the rest of the family. My prayers are with you.

Thank you for the challenge, @amd. I had no idea this was going to be so hard to achieve a desired look.

Totally unedited. First video of me soaping. 😱 Made OPW blue ombré.

This was so much fun to watch! Thank you. Can’t wait to see the cut. 😬

It’s funny, I have the same 6 liter container, same white mixing bowl, same spatulas (smaller version) almost the same scale. I like your mini SB, mine is battery powered but yours looks niftier.

Yes. Tbf, I was more attentive throughout this time than with many other (shorter) videos. No stupid music, no boring chatter.
My husband noted that as well - “It’s nice that she doesn’t feel the need for chitchat.” Agree.

This was so much fun to watch! Thank you. Can’t wait to see the cut. 😬

It’s funny, I have the same 6 liter container, same white mixing bowl, same spatulas (smaller version) almost the same scale. I like your mini SB, mine is battery powered but yours looks niftier.
. My mini sb. I love this little thing! And it’s a plug-in which I really like.

I’m excited too! Can’t wait to see yours too. 😁

Back