SMF May 2021 Challenge - One Pot Wonder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oof. My one and only attempt is CPOPing in the oven now. So far I'm happy with how the pour itself went (let's see how it looks when cut open). What was less than optimal that I ran into major false trace issues, and of course I can't just pop the OneWonderPot into a water bath or the microwave and give it a good stir 😬.
I guess my liberal addition of canola wax was an overshoot from the last soap that had too little hard oils and was still soft after three days in the mould.

Anyway, I noticed that OPW makes adorable spills!
View attachment 57302

And now I'm glad that I don't have to follow this thread with the bad conscience of provoking a hectic finale. 😌
hello,what is OPW
Oof. My one and only attempt is CPOPing in the oven now. So far I'm happy with how the pour itself went (let's see how it looks when cut open). What was less than optimal that I ran into major false trace issues, and of course I can't just pop the OneWonderPot into a water bath or the microwave and give it a good stir 😬.
I guess my liberal addition of canola wax was an overshoot from the last soap that had too little hard oils and was still soft after three days in the mould.

Anyway, I noticed that OPW makes adorable spills!
View attachment 57302

And now I'm glad that I don't have to follow this thread with the bad conscience of provoking a hectic finale. 😌
hello waht is OPW mean please? it looks like a lovely gemstone

You might be surprised when you cut. Sometimes it doesn't seem like they are blending, but they are! And you remembered the pre-pour photo, so that's a win right there!

You are so right! I actually love it! But, I loaded the pouring pitcher backwards. 😂 I still love it but I might need to have one more go and load it properly.

you people are always talking about a soap challenge,is this for a competion on this forum? thank you
Yes, we do a challenge almost every month, but you need to have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member [of the forum] for at least a month. See Rule #1 at the beginning of this thread. This is a "no prize" competition, only for the enjoyment of trying new techniques or creating soap that we may not normally try to make, so it's all in good clean fun.

Ok... so I am loving all the ideas about creating pour spouts and remembering to take the needed pictures for the entry thread!

I had a plan to tackle another attempt at this technique last night after I got home from market - I even had everything prepped so I could mix and pour! - but then I broke my foot when unloading the car (fortunately AFTER the market). I'm hoping that by the weekend I will at least be able to stand comfortably for the 15 minutes it will take me to make my soap. I might try the milk carton idea for pouring to see if I like that better than a funnel pitcher, which is what I was going to try for the small 800g batch I'm making.

Ok... so I am loving all the ideas about creating pour spouts and remembering to take the needed pictures for the entry thread!

I had a plan to tackle another attempt at this technique last night after I got home from market - I even had everything prepped so I could mix and pour! - but then I broke my foot when unloading the car (fortunately AFTER the market). I'm hoping that by the weekend I will at least be able to stand comfortably for the 15 minutes it will take me to make my soap. I might try the milk carton idea for pouring to see if I like that better than a funnel pitcher, which is what I was going to try for the small 800g batch I'm making.
Oh nooooo! I hope it’s not terribly painful.

Oh nooooo! I hope it’s not terribly painful.
It is, but manageable - if that makes sense. I've lived with chronic pain in the opposite hip for close to a decade now, so in the scope of things this is just one more thing to medicate for, lol. I'm more frustrated with the lack of mobility (walking with the boot is clumsy and cumbersome). Fortunately it's not my driving foot so there's that!

That's my twist on the OneWonderPot:

View attachment 57317

The DIY spout worked very well! Pouring was very precise, for the location and amount/flow rate, and it gave a nice mix with the tilt (the carton was less than half full with soap batter). One thing to optimise is the very tip, it was a bit too sharp. I would cut off the topmost cm if I intended to repeat OPW.

Thanks @Ladka for bringing me on the idea to abuse an (oat)milk carton!

The soap itself came out prettier than I had anticipated. Though, I have several things I'm not entirely happy about (besides the self-imposed provocation of false trace). But more on this once the entry thread embargo is lifted…
I never gave pouring spouts much thought until I started making soap and lip balms. The spouts below all produce different pours. The beautiful spout on the little cream pitcher in the lower right yields a perfect pour for lip balm and it’s the one I use to fill tubes. The spout on the glass measuring cup (upper right) is the worst at everything. It’s the only one of these five where the base of the spout is lower than the top plane of the container. I don’t know why that matters, but I have a difficult time controlling the flow of batter if I use that measuring cup. The slightly broader spout on the opposite plastic measuring cup offers more control and works well with soap that is at light to a early pourable medium trace. The long narrow-spouted pitcher is good for precision pouring of batter at emulsion and also works for pouring soap at light to early medium trace if I pour very slowly. I only use the stainless pitcher for weighing lye and have found that I do not have static problems with stainless. Possibly TMI!

23495E02-9B58-4EF1-97C2-19031F255A2E.jpeg

16CEC78F-E7D9-4457-97E3-4D28F386807D.jpeg

I never gave pouring spouts much thought until I started making soap and lip balms. The spouts below all produce different pours. The beautiful spout on the little cream pitcher in the lower right yields a perfect pour for lip balm and it’s the one I use to fill tubes. The spout on the glass measuring cup (upper right) is the worst at everything. It’s the only one of these five where the base of the spout is lower than the top plane of the container. I don’t know why that matters, but I have a difficult time controlling the flow of batter if I use that measuring cup. The slightly broader spout on the opposite plastic measuring cup offers more control and works well with soap that is at light to a early pourable medium trace. The long narrow-spouted pitcher is good for precision pouring of batter at emulsion and also works for pouring soap at light to early medium trace if I pour very slowly. Possibly TMI!

View attachment 57346
View attachment 57347
Fantastic information AND pictures! Thank you so much.

The spout on the glass measuring cup (upper right) is the worst at everything.

View attachment 57347
I think the spout where it is lower than the sides only works well with non-viscous liquids, like water, milk, oils, juices, jello before it starts to gel, stuff like that. Pouring thicker viscous fluids, like pancake or waffle batter, never worked well for me from the large Pyrex measuring pitcher I used to mix them in. The idea was great - it holds a huge amount; it has a sealing lid & it can be stored in the fridge. But pouring from it was too messy, so I always had to use a ladle.

The mixing bowl I used for my 2nd try had a short spout which caused me to spill about 1/2 cup of batter down the outside of the mold, but the diameter of the bowl was better than my first try (I hope).

I did just order this Amazon mixing bowl for future batches. Has anyone used one like it before? The spout is longer than the ones I have.

I also tried a new FO on #2 from NS - Lavender & Sage - and it smells awesome. I hope it has staying power!

@amd, sorry to hear about your foot :eek:

I also tried a new FO on #2 from NS - Lavender & Sage - and it smells awesome. I hope it has staying power!
If it's anything like NG's it does! All of my lavender customers love the scent from NG - I've gone through two bottles (16oz each) in less than a year and just ordered my 3rd. How did NS version perform in the batter? NG slows trace way down, to the point that I now mix the batter and walk away for 5 minutes before I even think about pouring (and I use it in a buttermilk & honey recipe that usually needs to move fast to get into the mold!).

If it's anything like NG's it does! All of my lavender customers love the scent from NG - I've gone through two bottles (16oz each) in less than a year and just ordered my 3rd. How did NS version perform in the batter? NG slows trace way down, to the point that I now mix the batter and walk away for 5 minutes before I even think about pouring (and I use it in a buttermilk & honey recipe that usually needs to move fast to get into the mold!).

It didn't accelerate at all. I don't know about slowing it down though. I'll try it again when I'm not so stressed with a challenge! My first try I poured too thick (different FO) so I was worried about that happening again. It was weird because by the time I poured the 4th layer into the pouring container the first two layers started rippling up so I thought it was getting too thick, but as I poured it into the mold it was still pretty fluid, hopefully not too much so.

I've been wanting to order more Peach Bellini Bikini from NG but was waiting until I needed more items due to the shipping cost. I'm going to add this to the list because if it smells anything like this AND decelerates I'm getting me some!

ETA: OMG - what a price difference in NG vs. NS on this one. I'm definitely going to get some!

Last edited:
ETA: OMG - what a price difference in NG vs. NS on this one. I'm definitely going to get some!
Holy crap! I just looked up NS out of curiosity... YIKES! And also... how did I not know about Peach Bellini Bikini? It sounds fantastic! And now sad because I already placed my NG order... sigh. Anyways... back to the challenge folks!

I did just order this Amazon mixing bowl for future batches. Has anyone used one like it before? The spout is longer than the ones I have.
I have ones like that from the dollar tree, but yours look sturdier! But I do like them when I'm doing a big batch with lots of colors. They pour really well. The spout is wide enough that I don't slop batter all over when I pour too fast. I didn't use them with this pour because it was too much batter, so yours must be bigger too!

I have ones like that from the dollar tree, but yours look sturdier! But I do like them when I'm doing a big batch with lots of colors. They pour really well. The spout is wide enough that I don't slop batter all over when I pour too fast. I didn't use them with this pour because it was too much batter, so yours must be bigger too!
I have four of the dollar tree version, agree these look much sturdier. I went on a quest to figure out what Lisa of I dream in soap uses for her OPW. She was nice enough to respond when I asked her but couldn’t remember - but I wonder if it is this: ANYDAY John Lewis & Partners Plastic Measuring Jug, 1L at John Lewis & Partners
John Lewis is a UK company and they don’t have a US outlet. Too bad - these look great and are inexpensive. I ended up buying this jug in a few different sizes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G6TMI2C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
but I like the looks of the John Lewis one better.

I went on a quest to figure out what Lisa of I dream in soap uses for her OPW.
I wouldn't swear to this, but when I watched her videos before I was pretty certain they were the same ones that I got from Tesco. They look just like hers and come in a couple of different sizes.

Back