SMF May 2021 Challenge - One Pot Wonder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut my second attempt last night. It is awful LOL. I'm not even going to show you all lol.

My first attempt, as bad as it is, is closer to what I wanted than the second. But I also didn't read instructions and didn't take a picture of the pot before pouring, so it doesn't qualify.

I don't know if I will get a chance at doing another fail. I don't have time for that with planning for markets. I need to focus my energy (and ingredients) on soaping non-experiments LOL

IF I happen to get a pitcher more suitable for doing this again, I may attempt one more. But I really need a pour spout. Pouring from my regular pot is not working at all, and the ones I have with spouts aren't big enough. I get more soap on the outside than in the mold. I actually ended up not filling up my mold the other night, and I usually have extra batter for half a dozen small sample-sized cavity molds.

Ha - I was able to unmold today and yes the soap completely filled up the cavities! 😊Now that it’s there I think I’ll leave it be and use it as is.

View attachment 57233
That’s a good idea, because they are a pain to clean otherwise.
And even if you succeed in cleaning them, you'd be in constant danger that the same thing would happen again with the next batch… FWIW, as long as that soap clog does not pose a danger (colour/fragrance wise) for new soap batters, a bit of laziness is in order.;)

I cut my loaf and while it's clearly a OPQ, the batter was too fluid and it's a bit muddled. But I think the fast pour was more of an issue as the layers are really thin - I think a slower pour would have made the layers thicker and more discernable. It is what it is! I recently bought a t&s mold and used it for this batch... I obviously didn't have quite enough batter to fiill it right to the top and the soaps are more square than tall, which is really disappointing. Looking forward to seeing everyone's entries!

I cut my second attempt last night. It is awful LOL. I'm not even going to show you all lol.

My first attempt, as bad as it is, is closer to what I wanted than the second. But I also didn't read instructions and didn't take a picture of the pot before pouring, so it doesn't qualify.

I don't know if I will get a chance at doing another fail. I don't have time for that with planning for markets. I need to focus my energy (and ingredients) on soaping non-experiments LOL

IF I happen to get a pitcher more suitable for doing this again, I may attempt one more. But I really need a pour spout. Pouring from my regular pot is not working at all, and the ones I have with spouts aren't big enough. I get more soap on the outside than in the mold. I actually ended up not filling up my mold the other night, and I usually have extra batter for half a dozen small sample-sized cavity molds.
I bought a 2 quart Rubbermaid pitcher, it was not expensive, but I haven’t tried it yet. I think my dollar store mixing bowls are too wide, but the pitcher might be too narrow.

Ha - I was able to unmold today and yes the soap completely filled up the cavities! 😊Now that it’s there I think I’ll leave it be and use it as is.

View attachment 57233
I used the corrugated plastic signs to make dividers for my mold during the Taiwan swirl challenge. I ended up using my hot glue gun to fill/plug the edges of the boards. It worked pretty well and made them a bit sturdier as well. I glopped the hot glue on the open edges and then turned upside down and pressed onto freezer paper to flatten and keep it from running. They clean up nice and are reusable. 😬🤩

I made my second try at OPW soap. I don't have a loaf mould and made one from a carton box lined with baking paper. The batter was too thin and I didn't get the nice layers I was after. Moreover, the carton leaked. I'm curious what I'll see when I cut it 🤔

I used the corrugated plastic signs to make dividers for my mold during the Taiwan swirl challenge. I ended up using my hot glue gun to fill/plug the edges of the boards. It worked pretty well and made them a bit sturdier as well. I glopped the hot glue on the open edges and then turned upside down and pressed onto freezer paper to flatten and keep it from running. They clean up nice and are reusable. 😬🤩
Oh, that’s a great idea! I have a bunch more signs... 🤔 sounds like I have a busy weekend in store. 😊

Question. Will non participators/voters get to see the final challenge entries after the voting is completed? I'd love to see them, but I don't know how that works. :)

Yes! You'll see a post from the organizer announcing the entry thread and that thread is viewable by everyone. Gentle reminder: No comments/replies allowed on the entry thread. :)

Also, here's a link that shows most of the past challenges:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-soap-challenges-across-the-years.72159/

Try this paint can pouring hack with your existing vessels to create a spout:

I feel so behind in the game right now. I haven't even watched the tutorial yet. My husband does go out of town soon, and I think I'll have time when I have the entire house to myself!
I just had the house to myself for almost 3 days, and instead of making soap, I mopped and dusted and vacuumed and did laundry - stuff I hadn't done in a month because of the surgery. So I also still haven't got there yet either! I hope to this coming week however, because my OT is really helping me use my hand more and more.

Prepared a third try of OPW soap, with the same colours as yesterday + indigo. I think I recognized the right trace now, added fragrances and divided the batter for colouring. I had bought three jars with a spout and could pour comfortably.
The soap may not look ideal but does come nearer to what the video shows.
The soap is happily sitting in the oven to go through gelling.

Latest posts

Back