SMF May 2021 Challenge - One Pot Wonder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've unmolded mine but haven't cut it yet. Looking at the ends, the colours might be too muddled - will just have to wait & see. I too am not sure if I have colour choices that will be dramatic enough.

First attempt is molded! Here are some of my previous "failed" OPW, NOT made for this challenge. I love the look of this technique and have tried to nail it for some time now.

IMG_20210425_102537_492.jpg
IMG_20210425_102537_664.jpg
IMG_20210418_155418_120.jpg
IMG_20210418_154848_815.jpg
0320210803.jpg

I finally got to unmold and cut my first attempt after a long 73 hours and boy what a letdown! I figured the last color into the mold wouldn't have much feathering because the batter had thickened up quite a bit, but there was less than I expected throughout the entire loaf. It's a bummer because I forced myself to wait to start pouring because I was so worried it would be too thin and muddy the colors. Sometimes patience is NOT a virtue.

So for my next attempt I promise to: pour thinner, be a more careful on the handling of the mold while pouring, and use a wider mouthed pouring container.

I need to get a smaller TS mold too!

@mommycarlson they don't look like fails to me. The thing with the OPW is that there are so many different looks possible from this technique. The blue soap in the first picture especially is 😍😍😍
Thank you Dibbles 🙂 you know how you have a certain thing in mind and they don't look like you thought, or like the video you followed? That's why I say "failed". I also thought the photos illustrated that although I poured these soaps into a pitcher and then into a mold in the OPW fashion, they are still so different. Well, let's say a few were attempted pours haha. Here is the one with the Daisies after I "poured" it
0301211129.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Dibbles 🙂 you know how you have a certain thing in mind and they don't look like you thought, or like the video you followed? That's why I say "failed". I also thought the photos illustrated that although I poured these soaps into a pitcher and then into a mold in the OPW fashion, they are still so different. Well, let's say a few were attempted pours haha. Here is the one with the Daisy's after I "poured" it
Well, that happens 🤪 I do understand how it can be disappointing when you have something in mind and what you end up with isn't that. It is more common than having what you plan actually happen, I think. At least that is how it seems to work for me. The silver lining, though, is that I have come a long way in learning to accept what I end up with for what it is.

Thank you Dibbles 🙂 you know how you have a certain thing in mind and they don't look like you thought, or like the video you followed? That's why I say "failed". I also thought the photos illustrated that although I poured these soaps into a pitcher and then into a mold in the OPW fashion, they are still so different. Well, let's say a few were attempted pours haha. Here is the one with the Daisy's after I "poured" it
View attachment 57184

Id say that was a fabulous recovery!

Well, that happens 🤪 I do understand how it can be disappointing when you have something in mind and what you end up with isn't that. It is more common than having what you plan actually happen, I think. At least that is how it seems to work for me. The silver lining, though, is that I have come a long way in learning to accept what I end up with for what it is.
Yep, same here! And it's totally more common to not get exactly what you thought when you cut it

I made a mini OPW yesterday in my mini T&S mold using the botanical colorant infusions I started earlier this year. I haven’t used the mold much, but it works well for this design and with only 450 g of oils. It was a bit of a glug, glug, glug to the finish line of the pour, but when I cut it today I was surprised that it looks pretty okay. Too bad I didn’t take a photo of the batter in the pitcher! Since I just MB’d 3000 g of oils last weekend, I made another batch this afternoon using different infusions and straight lemongrass eo to be on the safe side. After reading a comment above by @ResolvableOwl, I decided to layer my colors in a 2 quart batter bowl so they would have plenty of room to spread out in concentric rings. I wish I had the setup to film the pour of 650 g of batter from a giant bowl into a mini mold. It was pretty awkward, but also satisfying to watch the different colors going over the spout simultaneously. With soap in the mold and documentation of the batter in the bowl, I guess I need to sign up for the challenge.

Back