SMF May 2021 Challenge - One Pot Wonder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the soap challenge for May is already taking regirstraions but it's not a feather pour and it's done in a slab mold not tall and skinny,its the column pour ladies.
Hi! This is a separate challenge from this forum, not related to the one from the soapchallengeclub.com for which there is a private Facebook group for discussions

the soap challenge for May is already taking regirstraions but it's not a feather pour and it's done in a slab mold not tall and skinny,its the column pour ladies.
I think you're a bit confused here. I suggest you go back to the start of this thread and read from the beginning. This challenge is only for this forum.

I think this is the second time you have confused SMF's monthly challenges with another group. The SCC one is not affiliated with SoapMakingForum.

THIS thread is about the SMF challenge for this forum.

ETA: Yes, @sabnazzy , the same thing happened in April when you posted on that thread. Perhaps you did not notice the responses last month where explained then as well.

Last edited:
How do you mean? Like placing a column embed in the soap while pouring? If that's the case, I'm thinking that pushing the embed into the soap, or even placing it mid-pour, is going to disrupt the pattern of the pour. I'm going to follow the lead of the Soap Challenge Club and say no column embeds, but if you want to place an embed on top of the soap, or on the soap face after cut you can - but if you add to the soap face after cut, one of your entry photos should include bars without the embed so we can see the full technique.

I’ve done quite a few of these with embeds, and it is possible to do it without totally disrupting, but it does change the flow some. I love this technique, I’m excited to see everyone’s goes at it.

Finished! When is the entry thread up? LOL

After i put it in the oven I used a knife from the sink to cut an orange to eat. It tasted like fragrance oil. 🤮
The following story has nothing to do with soap or fragrance oils, but it's a good story. Years ago I had an impromptu get-together with a friends at my house and thought I'd whip up some brownies from scratch. I bake a LOT and kept extra bags of flour in a pantry we had (we've since moved) above our washer/dryer. Made the brownies and served them to my friends. It tasted like soap!

Weird. The next day, because I couldn't figure out why they tasted like soap, and I was determined to crack the case of the soap-tasting brownies, I made a second batch. That, too, tasted like soap! Perplexed. So perplexed. Soooooo perplexed. A few days after that I used the flour for something else and when I opened the canister (I had poured the bag of flour into a large glass container that I kept in my kitchen pantry) it smelled like soap! It was the flour! Walked over to the pantry where I had gotten the bag of flour a few days prior to make the brownies and realized that I had a big box of fabric softener dryer sheets next to where I had stored my flour. The flour had absorbed the dryer sheets fragrance!

1. peachymoon - I’ve been wanting to try this! 😄
2. dibbles - I wonder what colors to put in my one pot 🤔
3. AliOop - this one has been on my Try List, too!
4. Tara_H - great excuse to keep trying this!
5. Vicki C - oh this looks like fun... 😬
6. Jersey Girl- Another technique I’ve been wanting to try! 😁
7. maxine289 -looking forward to this!
8. The_Phoenix - I was going to sit this one out...
9. bookreader451 - I have done this before and liked the results. I will carve out time this month!
10. The_Emerald_Chicken - I was thinking of trying this sometime. Now to find the time...
11. msunnerstood - I'm In!
12. catscankim - always wanted to do this, although I stink at wall pours
13. KiwiMoose - Woot! I'm in! It's been a while since I did a challenge
14. mommycarlson - I have tried and "failed" at this one a number of times......
15. Stephd31 - I've never done a soap challenge. This should be fun, I hope.
16. slpowers - haven't made soap in awhile - this one looks fun.
17. gladysjones - yea I'm eligible! My first challenge :)😬
18. Guspuppy - YES!!!!

Hey all, I don’t have a tall and skinny mold, but I fashioned one today by wrapping some cardboard in plastic wrap and then cutting a piece of plastic and a piece of silicone to create a flat side.
FD5DDA1A-3A57-461B-AAB8-7027F1BCDB62.jpeg
I made my challenge soap today and I think it worked. Probably a little leaked but overall it was a success and cheaper than buying another mold.

Was I supposed to use a tall and skinny? Shall I do it again?
No not at all I’m sure yours is perfect! I got insecure looking at all the entries from Amy Warden’s challenge so I decided to try to make one.

Ended up buying a T&S mold. I haven't bought a mold in a very long time--hope my other molds don't get jealous. I want to see how this technique looks in a taller mold, so I'll hold off on another attempt until that arrives.
haha yeah especially seeing how it’s a “tall and skinny” mold. Hopefully the other molds won’t gang up and sabotage it.😄

Was I supposed to use a tall and skinny? Shall I do it again?
I haven't cut my soap yet, but what I've experienced is that with a standard mold, you don't get as many layers. Also, the layers, I believe, "build" differently than in a standard mold. This is such a weird pouring technique. When you start pouring, you're sure that you screwed it up and that there won't be any layers because of how the colors first start to leave the container. And then, by some funky miracle, all of the colors start to meander towards the spout and create that cool stripey effect.

9. bookreader451 - I have done this before and liked the results. I will carve out time this month!
10. The_Emerald_Chicken - I was thinking of trying this sometime. Now to find the time...
14. mommycarlson - I have tried and "failed" at this one a number of times......
18. Guspuppy - YES!!!!
19. Violets2217 - I’m in! Resistance was Futile!!!!

No not at all I’m sure yours is perfect! I got insecure looking at all the entries from Amy Warden’s challenge so I decided to try to make one.
Me, too, kinda. Comparing the two (standard vs. t&s), the effect in the t&s just looks nicer. I've wanted a t&s mold anyway because I've had a design idea in mind and my standard mold ain't cutting it.

Sorry, 9-bar standard mold! I still love you! You were my first-born and I'll always treasure your importance to me as a beginner soap-maker.

Last edited:
18. Guspuppy - YES!!!!
19. Violets2217 - I’m in! Resistance was Futile!!!!
20. MarnieSoapien - I love how this looks and can't wait to try it!

I made my first attempt a couple of days ago and hit a few bumps. First, I poured the colors in the opposite order I had planned, even though I wrote myself a note about it on the recipe printout. 🤦‍♀️ I think I chose a good recipe and FO, it was slow-moving and I had plenty of time to work. (Wish I'd used that recipe for the Lollipop Swirl!) But anyhow, when I was done pouring and went to move the mold into the oven, I remembered I needed the oven to make salmon at night and just popped it into the toaster oven, which doesn't keep it nearly as warm, so I don't believe it gelled. :( The colors looked sorta dull when I unmolded it, AND I think I unmolded it too soon. The structure was fine, but I realized it was super soft. Haven't cut into it yet, but I guess if anything, it was a nice practice run.

Also, after reading the new comments about T&S molds.. I also didn't realize this works best with a T&S mold. I don't know how that didn't occur to me. I have the basic little long loaf mold that makes square soaps. Hopefully it's cute anyway! I feel like the ones I've seen that don't go perfectly are still so beautiful. ^^ Can't wait to see people's attempts!

First, I poured the colors in the opposite order I had planned, even though I wrote myself a note about it on the recipe printout.
I created a storyboard for myself to plan the order for pouring and then realized I got the order completely backwards. I guess you have to remember “the last shall be first” for planning the pour.

I created a storyboard for myself to plan the order for pouring and then realized I got the order completely backwards. I guess you have to remember “the last shall be first” for planning the pour.
That’s the note I wrote myself! Lol. I think next time I just have to write the names of the colors in the order I need to pour them. In the moment, I was too focused on other parts of the process to realize my mistake. >.<

I don't believe it gelled. :( The colors looked sorta dull when I unmolded it, AND I think I unmolded it too soon. The structure was fine, but I realized it was super soft. Haven't cut into it yet
You could probably still CPOP it at this stage then, especially if you haven't even cut it yet.

Latest posts

Back