SMF May 2021 Challenge - One Pot Wonder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Please copy & Paste, add your name along with the next appropriate number.)

1. peachymoon - I’ve been wanting to try this! 😄
2. dibbles - I wonder what colors to put in my one pot 🤔
3. AliOop - this one has been on my Try List, too!
4. Tara_H - great excuse to keep trying this!
5. Vicki C - oh this looks like fun... 😬
6. Jersey Girl- Another technique I’ve been wanting to try! 😁
7. maxine289 -looking forward to this!
8. The_Phoenix - I was going to sit this one out...
9. bookreader451 - I have done this before and liked the results. I will carve out time this month!
10. The_Emerald_Chicken - I was thinking of trying this sometime. Now to find the time...
11. msunnerstood - I'm In!
12. catscankim - always wanted to do this, although I stink at wall pours
13. KiwiMoose - Woot! I'm in! It's been a while since I did a challenge

9. bookreader451 - I have done this before and liked the results. I will carve out time this month!
10. The_Emerald_Chicken - I was thinking of trying this sometime. Now to find the time...
14. mommycarlson - I have tried and "failed" at this one a number of times......

My two pieces of advice after doing this for Amy’s challenge are: 1. to choose a narrow pouring jug instead of a wide one (it allows for better feathering effect), and 2. be mindful of the size of the mold (amount of soap), as it can get heavy at the beginning of the pour. (Don’t attempt to fill a 5 lb mold for example, unless you can muster the strength)
it is a fun technique, I had a fragrance that riced a little after pouring all layers, and I couldn’t stir the ricing out without destroying the pattern, but other than that it was a cool technique.
Are you not going to participate? I've attempted this design a few times. Considering buying a tall and skinny mold for this. Do you think it's necessary, or is a standard mold sufficient?

14. mommycarlson - I have tried and "failed" at this one a number of times......
15. Stephd31 - I've never done a soap challenge. This should be fun, I hope.

Are you not going to participate? I've attempted this design a few times. Considering buying a tall and skinny mold for this. Do you think it's necessary, or is a standard mold sufficient?
A standard mold works well for this technique. Here is a picture of the soap made by Tania of Soapish, which inspired this technique and is not in a T&S mold.
OPW Soapish.JPG

A standard mold works well for this technique. Here is a picture of the soap made by Tania of Soapish, which inspired this technique and is not in a T&S mold.
View attachment 56977
Thank you for your input, @dibbles. I woke up at 4 AM and all I could think about was choosing colors for this soap. I finally got out of bed at 4:53 AM and...well, as you can see, here I am.

I really want to make a "two and done": one with feathery lines, and one with more defined/thicker lines. My plan it to use my slower-tracing recipe for the former and faster-tracing for the latter.

One last tip I learned is to make more batter than your mold will need. Why? I think the term is "fluid dynamics": how liquid matter moves. As you pour, you want the fluid in the pouring container to push the batter into the mold, particularly as you eventually remove your object you set under the mold to tilt it at an angle. Otherwise, if you measure exactly for your mold capacity, you'll likely end up scraping batter out as you near the capacity of the mold.

16. slpowers - haven't made soap in awhile - this one looks fun.

Thank you for your input, @dibbles. I woke up at 4 AM and all I could think about was choosing colors for this soap. I finally got out of bed at 4:53 AM and...well, as you can see, here I am.
LOL! I couldn't get to sleep last for thinking of colours for this soap.

I don’t think I will get to participate. :-( May is beginning to look like a busy month! I did both of my attempts for Amy’s challenge in a tall and skinny mold as they recommended it then (it allows for the color layers to be more distinct). However I have seen versions done in a loaf mold and they looked cool as well. I have done tall and skinny molds with the end piece of a narrow cardboard box, you may want to try that first (it needs to be lined though).

I have done tall and skinny molds with the end piece of a narrow cardboard box, you may want to try that first (it needs to be lined though).
I made my first T&S mold out of the bottom of a cereal box (or maybe a cracker box? We generally don't have boxed cereal around). It was a lot of work, but I wanted to see if I would use it enough to justify purchasing one. I did, and now my Nurture T&S mold is one of my favorites.

16. slpowers - haven't made soap in awhile - this one looks fun.
17. gladysjones - yea I'm eligible! My first challenge :)😬

I made my first T&S mold out of the bottom of a cereal box (or maybe a cracker box? We generally don't have boxed cereal around). It was a lot of work, but I wanted to see if I would use it enough to justify purchasing one. I did, and now my Nurture T&S mold is one of my favorites.
Agreed! I use anytime I am putting elaborate embeds, so they don’t make holding the soap awkward

I did, and now my Nurture T&S mold is one of my favorites
Do you have the wooden mold and if so do the holes in the bottom really help with removing the loaf? I’ve been wanting to make a tall & skinny mold. Just trying to figure out what dimensions I want. It seems not one T&S mold is the same dimensions. I think I’m going to try one tomorrow that’s 2.5” x 4” and 10.5” or 11” long like the NS mold. It will give me an excuse to try this soap challenge out! 😂 Like I need an excuse! 😳🙄😬

Do you have the wooden mold and if so do the holes in the bottom really help with removing the loaf? I’ve been wanting to make a tall & skinny mold. Just trying to figure out what dimensions I want. It seems not one T&S mold is the same dimensions. I think I’m going to try one tomorrow that’s 2.5” x 4” and 10.5” or 11” long like the NS mold. It will give me an excuse to try this soap challenge out! 😂 Like I need an excuse! 😳🙄😬
Yes, there have been times when the holes in the bottom have really helped. This Challenge will probably be one of them, since the liner for this mold doesn't have a "lip" to cover the edge and prevent soap from slipping in between the mold and the liner. That is problematic when pouring down the wall for things like the T&S Shimmy, and the One Pot Wonder, among others. It's the only drawback of this mold! But all that to say, when soap DOES slip down between the liner and the side of the mold, it can cause the liner to stick to the mold. That's when the release holes at the bottom do help (along with the careful insertion of a butter knife between the liner and the mold).

Back