SMF May 2021 Challenge - One Pot Wonder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have ones like that from the dollar tree, but yours look sturdier! But I do like them when I'm doing a big batch with lots of colors. They pour really well. The spout is wide enough that I don't slop batter all over when I pour too fast. I didn't use them with this pour because it was too much batter, so yours must be bigger too!

The Dollar Tree near me doesn't have any good pitchers. I went to all the dollar stores and couldn't find anything with a longer spout. I'm like Goldilocks, one is too short, one is too long, and maybe my new one will be just right!

Wow, a removable handle! I wonder what that's going to be like. I await reports on your experience using that product!

Good news: I am using my thumb more and more (dominant hand) and although I won't try to single-handedly hold a pitcher of raw soap batter with only my right hand, I am more confidant that it will be easier than previously anticipated. So I plan to make my one-pot-wonder soap this week!

I don't know if I will ever need to use the bowl w/o the handle but at least I have the option. I really was interested in the spout length and depth, it falls in between what I already have.

I used it tonight on my 3rd OPW attempt. One thing I don't like is the markings on the inside of the bowl are raised so they interfere with scraping the batter out. I will say there's a lot going on with this bowl - the top edge slopes down from the front and then back up to the back, the shape is oblong and the sidewalls are angled. Made for an interesting pour! The spout length worked out good so I didn't make as big of a mess as I did the last two attempts. Due to the diameter of the bowl you can only see the top two layers in my before photo but at least I remembered to take it!

Here is my riced and accelerated soap from yesterday. I was unable to do the OPW into the pot so this is an in the pot plop! I did pour it into the mold in OPW style. I love all the cool swirls! The embeds are my homemade clear soap colored with yellow mica.
0519210750a~2.jpg

Wow' most impressive on your creative ideas put into actions. About this deep frozen Butane Gas!! Which I know nada about' however Ü just kicked up "Soaping To A Whole New Level" Freezing Soap In A Nano Second Between Layers!!! Wow exciting. I'm gonna go out on a limb & guess your degree is in Chemistry of one form or another?. :nodding:

Soooo... that's how a creative mind works! I'm in awe! 😍😍

Wow' most impressive on your creative ideas put into actions.
Now if I only had some luck with colouring soap and would be a bit more conservative with recipes, the result would also look decent. :rolleyes:

Soooo... that's how a creative mind works! I'm in awe! 😍😍
Oof. If I only knew. Too often I lie in bed at night, and then such ideas pop into my mind and keep me from eventually falling asleep.

Here is my riced and accelerated soap from yesterday. I was unable to do the OPW into the pot so this is an in the pot plop! I did pour it into the mold in OPW style. I love all the cool swirls! The embeds are my homemade clear soap colored with yellow mica. View attachment 57413
Thats beautiful soap' Love the embeds too.

Now if I only had some luck with colouring soap and would be a bit more conservative with recipes, the result would also look decent. :rolleyes:

Oof. If I only knew. Too often I lie in bed at night, and then such ideas pop into my mind and keep me from eventually falling asleep.
Wise-Owl'
I'm looking forward to viewing your OPW masterpiece. 😍 😀🎷

I just had the house to myself for almost 3 days, and instead of making soap, I mopped and dusted and vacuumed and did laundry - stuff I hadn't done in a month because of the surgery. So I also still haven't got there yet either! I hope to this coming week, however, because my OT is really helping me use my hand more and more.
I totally understand. I squandered away my three-day alone time cleaning as well. The house just needed it, and I couldn't bear to do something fun while looking at the mess. I hope your hand is doing well and you've been able to make your soap!

I totally understand. I squandered away my three-day alone time cleaning as well. The house just needed it, and I couldn't bear to do something fun while looking at the mess. I hope your hand is doing well and you've been able to make your soap!
Thank you. Each day is better, but no soap today. Tomorrow is my plan. For some reason I couldn't get to sleep last night, after moving from the couch where I was nodding off, to the bed. So I was up until after 4 am. Not safe to make soap on 5 hours sleep, at least for me at this time. I should be so exhausted by the end of the day, that I should be able to sleep well tonight.

I plan to set up as much as possible tonight, so I can get started early tomorrow. Anyway, that is my plan. I have my colors already picked out and set aside, so all's left to do is to get the oils & so forth ready tonight (after Hubby retires for the evening).

Well. I don't think my epic fail is AS epic anymore. Although it's not challenge worthy I don't hate it. I do have some q's tho I might post to the beginner board. For now, I was stoked to see this cut after the gloopy mess I made of the pour. Not a bad looking bar I can use and give away.

Attachments

• Imagepipe_7.jpg
    Imagepipe_7.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 33
  • Imagepipe_5.jpg
    Imagepipe_5.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 30
All set up & ready to go. Kitty Baby is napping so I can soap without worrying about her wandering in. It started raining while we were outside this morning and after she had successfully hunted, which also helps tire her out. But with the rain, she tends to sleep more during the day.

However, my hand is really stiff. I thought if I got my first set of hand & finger exercises out of the way early I'd have more agility and less stiffness. But it didn't turn out that way. I'll take my arthritis med & ice it for awhile and see if I can get it comfortable enough to get going on this soap before she gets up again.

Here is my riced and accelerated soap from yesterday. I was unable to do the OPW into the pot so this is an in the pot plop! I did pour it into the mold in OPW style. I love all the cool swirls! The embeds are my homemade clear soap colored with yellow mica. View attachment 57413
I LOVE this one!!! It immediately reminded me of Van Gogh's "Starry Nights" painting.

I though, need to kick myself in the butt and get going on my challenge soap! I WILL make an entry this time!!! No excuses!!!

I LOVE this one!!! It immediately reminded me of Van Gogh's "Starry Nights" painting.

I though, need to kick myself in the butt and get going on my challenge soap! I WILL make an entry this time!!! No excuses!!!
My daughter said the same thing about the starry night painting 🙂 I need to make a second one myself, it's "planned" but other things keep taking priority. Hopefully by this weekend. Good luck to you!

Entry thread? My brain is broken over what order to put my colors in the pot!! Lol. Anyone else struggle with this?? I write it down and have still done it backwards. 😱

ETA: when I couldn't get my gloves on this morning I should have just put everything away! I was on the front seat of the struggle bus from the start. From gloves sticking to my sweaty hands to dropping everything and spilling FO to ricing soap batter, it was just a hot mess over here. Attempts 2 and 3 are in the molds and I am done! I will just have to continue living vicariously through all of you who can do this pour 😂🤗

Last edited:
Back