SMF May 2020 Challenge Signup – Diagonal Slice Stripe with Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are my non entries. I did the layers with five separate batches (but poured two full loafs, which of course turns into 4 full loafs so it actually wasn't too bad when you take that into consideration. I had this grand idea of making like a his n hers matching set but ultimately when I put them together they look better kept among themselves I think. First one scented with BB Fresh Snow, the other two Eroma 50 shades.

View attachment 46424View attachment 46425View attachment 46426
They are stunning! I would never use them because they are to beautiful. I’d have them in a simple plane dish on display with a sign saying Look Don’t Touch. For your viewing pleasure only! ❤️

The entry thread is now closed - but if you have non-entries you would like to share, please continue to post them here!

ETA: The voting survey link will be PM'd to all who signed up in a few hours.

Here are my non entries. I did the layers with five separate batches (but poured two full loafs, which of course turns into 4 full loafs so it actually wasn't too bad when you take that into consideration. I had this grand idea of making like a his n hers matching set but ultimately when I put them together they look better kept among themselves I think. First one scented with BB Fresh Snow, the other two Eroma 50 shades.

View attachment 46424View attachment 46425View attachment 46426
These are really lovely, you got some fantastic lines! How long did you wait between each pour?

These are really lovely, you got some fantastic lines! How long did you wait between each pour?

If you mean the straight line section ... At a guess maybe half an hour? I poured each one at emulsion, which in my experience has been the key to getting nice straight lines. I then washed my bowls, waited for the lye to melt my frozen milk, and by the time I was ready to pour again the first layer had set up enough for me to carefully pour on top of

@Kafayat Adebowale oyeniyi no I'm sorry I dont ... I havent ventured into doing videos yet but I'd like to at some point!

@dibbles I am so intrigued by that line that you got in yours, where the two sides meet. I am going to have to have another go at this to try to emulate it, because I love it. I see you said that it happened in all of your soaps, did all of them have the main portion of that side coloured? I had the main portion of all of mine white, and I'm wondering if the line is there but we just cant see it since my base soap is white ... if that makes any sense at all. I'm struggling to articulate what is in my head (what's new?!). I'm wondering if the key in having that magic line pop up is to do with having the main portion of that side coloured.

@Kafayat Adebowale oyeniyi no I'm sorry I dont ... I havent ventured into doing videos yet but I'd like to at some point!

@dibbles I am so intrigued by that line that you got in yours, where the two sides meet. I am going to have to have another go at this to try to emulate it, because I love it. I see you said that it happened in all of your soaps, did all of them have the main portion of that side coloured? I had the main portion of all of mine white, and I'm wondering if the line is there but we just cant see it since my base soap is white ... if that makes any sense at all. I'm struggling to articulate what is in my head (what's new?!). I'm wondering if the key in having that magic line pop up is to do with having the main portion of that side coloured.
I’ll post a picture of the three tomorrow, but yes they were all colored. The other two were with a light color. I’ve had this happen when doing a soap with a lot of thin layers, each layer mixed separately, pretty cool oil temps and very cool lye temps, also colored and poured at emulsion/super thin trace. The first two I made for this challenge were poured at thin trace, but my entry was at or approaching medium trace and that line still appeared, suggesting trace isn’t necessarily the cause. I gelled all of the soaps.

@Primrose here is a picture of the other two soaps I made for the challenge, along with the entry soap (excuse the poor lighting). The line is harder to detect in the lighter colors but I think you can see it.

Attachments

• diagonal line.jpg
    diagonal line.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 27
@Primrose here is a picture of the other two soaps I made for the challenge, along with the entry soap (excuse the poor lighting). The line is harder to detect in the lighter colors but I think you can see it.

Thanks heaps - yep I can see it there. I really like it, especially in the darkest soap (the one that was your entry) :D

My daughters want to to try another batch with the stripped version in 6 to 9 lines.....I am soo gonna give it a try you know.....but working at low temp I get to work quickly

If you mean the straight line section ... At a guess maybe half an hour? I poured each one at emulsion, which in my experience has been the key to getting nice straight lines. I then washed my bowls, waited for the lye to melt my frozen milk, and by the time I was ready to pour again the first layer had set up enough for me to carefully pour on top of
Thank you, also, do you cover your layers and then put them in the oven or do you just wait the 30 mins then pour?

Thank you!! I'm so excited, especially since this truly is one of my favorite soaps I've ever made. Huge thanks, @amd for selecting this technique which pushed me to try it.

Congratulations to @Jersey Girl @Mobjack Bay and @Primrose - I loved all of your soaps. Huge congrats to all who entered - this was an intimidating technique, and everyone did a wonderful job.

Back