SMF May 2020 Challenge Signup – Diagonal Slice Stripe with Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some ready to cut tonight, before I decide which I will enter. This has been a fun challenge and everyone's soaps have turned out beautiful!

Here are my non entries. I did the layers with five separate batches (but poured two full loafs, which of course turns into 4 full loafs so it actually wasn't too bad when you take that into consideration. I had this grand idea of making like a his n hers matching set but ultimately when I put them together they look better kept among themselves I think. First one scented with BB Fresh Snow, the other two Eroma 50 shades.

FB_IMG_1590678054580.jpg
FB_IMG_1590678058611.jpg
FB_IMG_1590678066691.jpg

Here’s the other soap I made for the competition. I used only natural colorants - indigo, annatto and finely chopped calendula petals and swirled (sort of...) using a chopstick. It’s scented with Somali Rose (MMS), which accelerates and has a golden color that was fine for this soap. It was the perfect FO for this soap because each layer set up just in time for me to pour the next layer after it was measured and mixed.

View attachment 46397
This is...wow! So beautiful and beach-y!

I never liked this particular design when I saw it before, but seeing all these lovely entries has changed my perspective. Way to go, all you brave souls who gave it a whirl!

Can you run some water on it .that might help
What about steaming it, @Arimara?
Running water won't help right now. The bars are little crumbly and I don't trust that I would have as good a grip now. I also lack the means to steam these bad boys and refuse to use the only sieve I have for some soap, at leas this bar. I really don't like the scent I used.

Edit- I have ash on top (not shown) and stearic areas, I believe. And the soap is ugly at the moment.

Attachments

• 20200528_140742[1].jpg
    20200528_140742[1].jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Finally I am done people...thank you so much for the support.
Orange layer is annatto infused in oil...the green layer in the middle is chrolerra infused in oil while the last ash or purple layer is allante root powder infused in oil ....All infusion are over 6 months old.....for the swirl on top I removed the allante out.
First time trying this technique and I am willing to try more to learn better.For oil I used beef tallow I rendered at home myself,castor oil,coconut oil and some olive pomade. I also used some fragrance and sodium lactate.
I still need to figure out how to get smoother bars from beef tallow 🤔🤔.....

Glad I could participate

Attachments

• 20200528_132042.jpg
    20200528_132042.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200528_132407.jpg
    20200528_132407.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 43
Running water won't help right now. The bars are little crumbly and I don't trust that I would have as good a grip now. I also lack the means to steam these bad boys and refuse to use the only sieve I have for some soap, at leas this bar. I really don't like the scent I used.

Edit- I have ash on top (not shown) and stearic areas, I believe. And the soap is ugly at the moment.
I've read that you can take a bowl of boiling water, place it along with your soap in a plastic tub or cooler to help get rid of ash. I haven't tried it myself so I can't verify that it works.

Here’s the other soap I made for the competition. I used only natural colorants - indigo, annatto and finely chopped calendula petals and swirled (sort of...) using a chopstick. It’s scented with Somali Rose (MMS), which accelerates and has a golden color that was fine for this soap. It was the perfect FO for this soap because each layer set up just in time for me to pour the next layer after it was measured and mixed.

View attachment 46397
Absolutely beautiful! Balance of subtle color and line is stunning!

Finally I am done people...thank you so much for the support.
Orange layer is annatto infused in oil...the green layer in the middle is chrolerra infused in oil while the last ash or purple layer is allante root powder infused in oil ....All infusion are over 6 months old.....for the swirl on top I removed the allante out.
First time trying this technique and I am willing to try more to learn better.For oil I used beef tallow I rendered at home myself,castor oil,coconut oil and some olive pomade. I also used some fragrance and sodium lactate.
I still need to figure out how to get smoother bars from beef tallow 🤔🤔.....

Glad I could participate

@Kafayat Adebowale oyeniyi
Make sure you put these pics in the Entry Thread. This is the sign up thread!

These are my non-enties. I actually like the colors of these soaps better, but the drop swirl is a bit off and the bars are wonky🙄
Polish_20200528_203809330.jpg

These are my entry and non-entry next to each other.
Polish_20200528_204259104.jpg

These are my non-enties. I actually like the colors of these soaps better, but the drop swirl is a bit off and the bars are wonky🙄
View attachment 46434

These are my entry and non-entry next to each other.
View attachment 46435
I’m not seeing a photo with your post in the entry thread. Is it just me? All of your colors are pretty and the cochineal is fantastic!

@bookreader451 I absolutely agree on liking the hanger swirls in this challenge. What's stopping you from doing one? I remember your Ione swirl was very pretty.. 😉
@Mobjack Bay it's there, I just checked again😉 I also really like the cochineal color. It's a lot more intense than I expected. I'm a bit disappointed in indigo though, not sure what went wrong there. It looks greenish brown instead of aqua blue.

Back