SMF May 2020 Challenge Signup – Diagonal Slice Stripe with Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't wait to see what my second soap looks like! I made the first one using infused oils. The colors are pretty and the stripes are level, but the swirls don't look crisp enough for this type of soap design. So, I'm giving it another try with oxides and clays. I discovered that one of the FOs I have is perfect for making layered soap. I've been making my layers one at a time, adding the FO at about the halfway mark on the way to a very light trace and hand stirring the rest of the way before I pour. The layers are nicely set up by the time I have the next layer ready to pour. I guess the soap goddess wanted me to get over my fear of making layered soap :).

Who am I kidding? Of course I'll participate..
1. Jersey Girl- Always up for a fun challenge. Never tried a stripe yet so now is as good a time as any!
2. dibbles - I see some 'learning opportunities' in my future
3. Bookreader451 - Staying true to my goal and trying another challenge
4. Primrose - always up for a new challenge
5. kafayat.learning is soo much fun
6. MarnieSoapien - I already have an idea or 5
7. jstheidi- I’m going to give this a try, never done stripe so I hope I can pour straight.
8. Arimara- @Mobjack Bay I'm adding her back in unless she posts otherwise.
9. Anstarx- I really need to try layers
10. jcandleattic - I'll give it a try...
11. Sonya-m - oops, copied the wrong post and took space 10 in error
12. earlene - It has been SO long; I have to participate!
13. Mobjack Bay - I managed to get soap in the mold, so I'm in.
14. szaza - fomo just kicked in

I’ve moved the pics of my non entry soaps to this thread to avoid any confusion on the entry thread. I’m not sure it was ok to put them there so I figured I’d be safe and move them. These are scented with BRV
068F2F20-B7ED-4C03-884D-F656FBA4C4AD.jpeg
24583630-CECA-4C1F-9DD6-D55CDA1D61F0.jpeg

I’ve moved the pics of my non entry soaps to this thread to avoid any confusion on the entry thread. I’m not sure it was ok to put them there so I figured I’d be safe and move them. These are scented with BRV
I was confused at first until you said the purple was the entry. Any one of them could have been, the were all lovely.

Here’s the other soap I made for the competition. I used only natural colorants - indigo, annatto and finely chopped calendula petals and swirled (sort of...) using a chopstick. It’s scented with Somali Rose (MMS), which accelerates and has a golden color that was fine for this soap. It was the perfect FO for this soap because each layer set up just in time for me to pour the next layer after it was measured and mixed.

9FC7C1B9-7FF4-40AF-950A-D9BFCE3C4FF5.jpeg

Now I have developed cold feet to submit my not too beautiful entry 🙄🙄🙄🙄
@Misschief is right, you should enter your soap. The challenges are meant to be fun and provide an opportunity to try something that may be new to you, or to build on your skills. There is something beautiful just in trying.

Here’s the other soap I made for the competition. I used only natural colorants - indigo, annatto and finely chopped calendula petals and swirled (sort of...) using a chopstick. It’s scented with Somali Rose (MMS), which accelerates and has a golden color that was fine for this soap. It was the perfect FO for this soap because each layer set up just in time for me to pour the next layer after it was measured and mixed.

View attachment 46397

This is way cool! Reminds me of the beach!

@Misschief is right, you should enter your soap. The challenges are meant to be fun and provide an opportunity to try something that may be new to you, or to build on your skills. There is something beautiful just in trying.

I agree, although I notice Kafayet you need one more post to participate (minimum of 50 posts) ... I'm not sure if your entry one counts as the last one or you need to do one more LOL

Latest posts

Back