SMF May 2020 Challenge Signup – Diagonal Slice Stripe with Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never done a double cpop, but I don't think it would hurt anything. Although cpop might make it difficult to cut the stripe loaf, or the second cpop might make it hard to cut the strip portion. At least my recipe anyways is a lot harder after cpop, so I would be hesitant to do it that way if your soap is pretty hard. (Just thinking if it's hard after one round of cpop, would it be even harder after a second?) If you have a softer recipe I think it would be fine though.
Somehow, I doubt that. I think it might be fine. There's only one way to find out anyways. :)

I didnt enter but I gave this a try. I think if I have some time I will try and again and enter.
IMG_20200512_232321.jpg

I am so impressed with the pictures submitted so far. I am not trying this one as I have a lot of things on the go this month but I will be dropping in to have a look.
Best wishes to all the contestants :)

I used a 50%lye concentration (I mismeasured) for my practice run. It is still soft and I can't use the oven. It will be a week before I can make soap if I can't gel that sucker gelled.

You might have to explain what you doubt - and why...
I doubt it because it seems redundant that a gelled soap would become harder to cut if part of it was CPOP twice. I also acknowledged that theought should be tested to see if it would be harder to cut.

I doubt it because it seems redundant that a gelled soap would become harder to cut if part of it was CPOP twice. I also acknowledged that theought should be tested to see if it would be harder to cut.
For what it's worth my soap gelled 90% through the first time and 100% after I cut it and poured the top. Only thing I noticed was a glycerin river in the bottom red layer.

I doubt it because it seems redundant that a gelled soap would become harder to cut if part of it was CPOP twice.
It may depend on your recipe. I think mine would become harder - but I also use more water than some soapers and it's a very hard soap to cut under normal conditions. When I used to CPOP, I had to carefully monitor how long I left it in the residual heat from the oven - typically longer than 3-4 hours and I couldn't cut with a wire cutter, and I would have trouble with warped bars (with normal cure and aging i don't have problems with warping, so I assume this has to do with rapid water loss during CPOP). For my recipe, I think a second CPOP would further reduce the water content of a new soap, and make it harder. A softer recipe than mine and/or combined with a lower water content might not have the same result, agreed.

It may depend on your recipe. I think mine would become harder - but I also use more water than some soapers and it's a very hard soap to cut under normal conditions. When I used to CPOP, I had to carefully monitor how long I left it in the residual heat from the oven - typically longer than 3-4 hours and I couldn't cut with a wire cutter, and I would have trouble with warped bars (with normal cure and aging i don't have problems with warping, so I assume this has to do with rapid water loss during CPOP). For my recipe, I think a second CPOP would further reduce the water content of a new soap, and make it harder. A softer recipe than mine and/or combined with a lower water content might not have the same result, agreed.
Okay, I guess that would make sense. I have almost no extra water in my current soap and I have to try and gel it about 200F. It certainly seemed to help and it was the second attempt after failing at 170F. It also made apparent a crucial mistake I made with this batch- I didn't disperse the honey the right way.

I used my cake wire to cut it; like in the video. I would have botched it six ways to Sunday if I had tried to cut it with a knife🔪.
I had the same problem and didn't see the point in making pretty soap then butchering the cut! In the end I treated myself to a multi cutter! I like instant gratification!!

Well I made a couple of layered loafs tonight so that's a start! We shall see how it all goes tomorrow. Gosh layers are tedious, and it takes every inch of my fibre to NOT drop a hanger through it hahahaha

I have a question... How long is too long between the two batches? I made my layered batch last night and unmoulded today. Haven't cut it yet. Off to work tomorrow for a 14hr day so my next decent chance to finish it is in a couple days time. Should I wrap the layered batch or will it be fine?

Back