SMF May 2019 Challenge - Tiger Stripes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have posted more than one photo in the entry thread and have a preference of which to use for the voting survey, either post here or send me a PM. I think most have already indicated in the entry post, but a few haven’t.

Oh yeah I forgot to indicate.. I prefer the close-up but honestly don't mind it it would be the other picture [emoji6]

Just a reminder this is the last day to get your entries posted. Awesome entries so far!!

Dibbles, I thought the closing date & time was tomorrow around midnight. I have one more batch that I planned to cut tomorrow based on this:
After the closing date May 28, 2019 at 11:59 pm CST

If not, I can enter another soap, but thought I still had a little more time.

If you have posted more than one photo in the entry thread and have a preference of which to use for the voting survey, either post here or send me a PM. I think most have already indicated in the entry post, but a few haven’t.

I'm fine with any pic dibbles, so I'll let you decide which one. Thanks so much for doing the challenge this month. It reminded me how much fun I have doing tiger stripes!

@KristaY --I have been looking at your post and trying to decide which one I like the best, I really like how your soap discolored but I also like how it started out. either one is very pretty!!!

I'm fine with any pic dibbles, so I'll let you decide which one. Thanks so much for doing the challenge this month. It reminded me how much fun I have doing tiger stripes!
I’m glad you had fun with the tiger stripes. I really like the colors of your soap when it discolored, so I’ll go with one of those.

Well I’m not going to make it this time as I’ve been at the BBC Radio 1 Big Weekend all weekend. I will definitely make more time for the next one though

I am so glad I can enter the one I cut this morning. It is so much more what I was going for. I will download the photos from my camera and get on that. Thank you for this challenge, dibbles. It gave me a chance to work on becoming more comfortable with, not only this technique, but with working on combinations of colors and discoloring FO's together to obtain variations of colors that I want in my goal. And to utilize my own photography as inspiration. I will explain some of that in my entry once I get it submitted.

I finally got my entry posted here. It may not be as good as many of you have done, but I am so happy with the results. It far exceeded my expectations while I was struggling with the last part of that pour. I started out with batter thin enough, and one color was in fact too thin (the portion colored with TD, surprisingly), but by the end fluidity was almost non-existent except in the batter with the TD. That is not my usual experience with Titanium Dioxide. Normally it always thickens the batter more than any of the other colors, except some greens.

My other Tiger Stripe soap was a very fluid pour that I was fairly happy with until I saw how well the entry turned out. They are about as different as can be. The colors are pale & blurred together because I didn't use enough colorant in the portions, which is why in the soap I made for my entry, I went heavy on the colorants. Also I used two completely different recipes. The one below was with a very slow-moving recipe with 52% soft oils and [31% Lye] concentration.

I do like the wispy look and actually wanted it, but next time I do the wispy Tiger Stripe, I won't use black walnut hull powder.

OMG this has got to have been one long week. so many beautiful soaps, its going to be hard to pick--do we pick one or 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc? I have the 1st one picked out unless of course there are some not out there yet. like I said this has been tough!!! everybody deserves a big "ATTA GIRL-GUY!!!!"

OMG this has got to have been one long week. so many beautiful soaps, its going to be hard to pick--do we pick one or 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc? I have the 1st one picked out unless of course there are some not out there yet. like I said this has been tough!!! everybody deserves a big "ATTA GIRL-GUY!!!!"
You will be able to vote for 3 :). It's still going to be hard to choose - I'm glad I don't have to.

I finally got my entry posted here. It may not be as good as many of you have done, but I am so happy with the results. It far exceeded my expectations while I was struggling with the last part of that pour. I started out with batter thin enough, and one color was in fact too thin (the portion colored with TD, surprisingly), but by the end fluidity was almost non-existent except in the batter with the TD. That is not my usual experience with Titanium Dioxide. Normally it always thickens the batter more than any of the other colors, except some greens.

My other Tiger Stripe soap was a very fluid pour that I was fairly happy with until I saw how well the entry turned out. They are about as different as can be. The colors are pale & blurred together because I didn't use enough colorant in the portions, which is why in the soap I made for my entry, I went heavy on the colorants. Also I used two completely different recipes. The one below was with a very slow-moving recipe with 52% soft oils and [31% Lye] concentration.

I do like the wispy look and actually wanted it, but next time I do the wispy Tiger Stripe, I won't use black walnut hull powder.

I love this. Don't change a thing. :nonono: It looks like wood grain....maybe white birch or white-washed pine. Actually, it reminds me of cypress, which I use in a lot of furniture building. The black walnut powder looks awesome, but I wonder now abrasive it might be in use. I admit, this isn't the most "tiger-stripey" think I've ever seen, but I'd consider this design as serendipitous and count my blessings. Was this just natural soap with black walnut as the only colorant?

Back