SMF May 2019 Challenge - Tiger Stripes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just cut mine and I can honestly say it turned out better than I thought it would. Now, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's entries.
It's a very forgiving technique. It seems like unless the batter gets to glop stage, it mostly works out. You never know what you are getting until you cut - I have had some nice surprises when I cut batches that I thought were a total fail. Can't wait to see your tiger.

It's a very forgiving technique. It seems like unless the batter gets to glop stage, it mostly works out. You never know what you are getting until you cut - I have had some nice surprises when I cut batches that I thought were a total fail. Can't wait to see your tiger.
It's very colourful and a black light might make it look really amazing and trippy. ;)

OMG such amazing entries so far! I am almost scared to enter mine lol

Maybe I'll have another go...

@Marilyn Norgart your soap looks great! I think you could enter it as it does have stripes throughout the bars. I agree that a tiger stripe is difficult to achieve in a slab mold. The entry thread opens tomorrow and will be open for a week. I know you love to make soap - try again in a loaf mold :)
Agreed. 100%.

How long did you wait to pour between layers? That’s really cool.

I pulled this from the entry thread to answer here.

I made my whole batch, then separated into thirds in separate pour buckets. I worked with the rusty/orange layer first coloring then pouring at an angle.
Once poured I went to my second white and black pour buckets and mixed my color and started pouring. By then the bottom had set up enough it wouldn't break through, and I poured my first layer slowly over a spatula for extra insurance. But I didn't wait long in between layers.
My recipe is 60% hard oils and I soap pretty much room temp with both my oils and lye (oils warmed just until clear) but depending on the fragrance I still have time to do intricate swirls and such as long as I'm not dilly dallying. LOL

A reminder to folks who are posting comments on the Entry Thread. It is only for entries. All comments by others about the entries, should go on this thread, not the entry thread. It makes it very hard on the challenge host when they have to wade through pages of comments to find the entry photos.

Thank you.

.... and I feel it unfairly intimidates others entering the challenge to see the comments. I typically avoid the challenge thread because I don't want to read comments and get hit by "Artists Guilt" and not enter because I don't think anyone will like my entry. Maybe I'm the only one with this problem... :D or maybe not, but let's follow the rules, folks!

View attachment 39025 So, here’s the one I’m NOT entering... The idea was “White Tiger” in the colors of the Auburn University Tigers. It just turned out a little too minimal.
Amazing!

Why do mine always look like faces?? This is my 2nd attempt at the tiger stripe technique! I love these contests! Seeing all of the amazing talent and different styles is just so much fun!

Attachments

• 20190521_184725.jpg
    20190521_184725.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my entry for the “Tiger Stripe” gummy bear cold process soap contest, I used neon colorants & fruit loops fragrance oil melt & pour for the gummy bears fragrance & neon colorants used as well:) Smells so good!

Attachments

• 52CBEACB-ABEF-46E5-8BBB-05CC17774E41.jpeg
    52CBEACB-ABEF-46E5-8BBB-05CC17774E41.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 44
  • 0607EB5B-DC6E-4AB1-9A60-157E13475DC0.jpeg
    0607EB5B-DC6E-4AB1-9A60-157E13475DC0.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 43
Here is my entry for the “Tiger Stripe” gummy bear cold process soap contest, I used neon colorants & fruit loops fragrance oil melt & pour for the gummy bears fragrance & neon colorants used as well:) Smells so good!
I'm sorry, in order to enter a soap in the challenge you have to meet the requirement of 50 posts. When you reach 50 posts and want to take part in the challenges, copy and paste the most recent sign up list and add your name to the bottom.

Anyone is welcome to share pictures of attempts at the monthly challenges, and I'm glad you posted pictures of yours. It is a beautiful soap.

Latest posts

Back