• July 15, 2020 USA date. 1am EST to approx 3am EST Server will be off line for maintenance.

SMF May 2019 Challenge - Tiger Stripes

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I love this. Don't change a thing. :nonono: It looks like wood grain....maybe white birch or white-washed pine. Actually, it reminds me of cypress, which I use in a lot of furniture building. The black walnut powder looks awesome, but I wonder now abrasive it might be in use. I admit, this isn't the most "tiger-stripey" think I've ever seen, but I'd consider this design as serendipitous and count my blessings. Was this just natural soap with black walnut as the only colorant?
Thank you, Daryl. I've used black walnut powder before as a brown colorant, but I don't really remember how abrasive it was. I think I've only used that soap on my hands, though. Co-incidentally, it was in a soap I was trying to get a wood grain look with the swirl, funny that. Anyway, no it wasn't the only colorant I used. But I used far less colorant in it than in my entry soap. I used two micas from Steph's Micas & More: orange coral and clementine, but in much smaller amounts. And because the batter was so fluid and so slow moving, the colors really did merge into each other than I had planned.

I do like the wispy effect, though and am glad I got it because I wanted to know if I could actually re-create it (having done it in the past, but not purposely.) Maybe next time I try this, I'll use a more woody fragrance. But even with White Jasmine as the scent, I am loving it.

DWinMadison

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Daryl. I've used black walnut powder before as a brown colorant, but I don't really remember how abrasive it was. I think I've only used that soap on my hands, though. Co-incidentally, it was in a soap I was trying to get a wood grain look with the swirl, funny that. Anyway, no it wasn't the only colorant I used. But I used far less colorant in it than in my entry soap. I used two micas from Steph's Micas & More: orange coral and clementine, but in much smaller amounts. And because the batter was so fluid and so slow moving, the colors really did merge into each other than I had planned.

I do like the wispy effect, though and am glad I got it because I wanted to know if I could actually re-create it (having done it in the past, but not purposely.) Maybe next time I try this, I'll use a more woody fragrance. But even with White Jasmine as the scent, I am loving it.
The only times I've used black walnut powder it was to get brown. I ground it more finely than it came using a mortal and pestle and infused it into oil in a water path. Sadly, my local natural grocery has closed, so I don't have ready access to roots, herbs and such to use a natural colorants.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The survey has been created and the link and passwords have been sent. Please vote for your 3 favorites, and only check the box next to the entrant's name. Hopefully someone can help me get this fixed tomorrow.

Also note - the password is case sensitive.

KiwiMoose

Reaction score
The survey has been created and the link and passwords have been sent. Please vote for your 3 favorites, and only check the box next to the entrant's name. Hopefully someone can help me get this fixed tomorrow.

Also note - the password is case sensitive.
uh -oh I should have read this before I send you a PM about which box to check

Dawni

Reaction score
I also should have thought to come read this first lol good thing I went with my gut n ticked next to the name.

Congratulations to everyone! Job well done, all the entries were amazing and I had a hard time choosing.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please check your messages. A new survey has been created to hopefully fix the issues. I am the first to admit I can be quite hopeless with technology.

If you voted in the previous survey, please take a minute to revote in the new one. I am so sorry for all the problems.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Boy was voting hard. So many beautiful Tiger Stripes!

No problems, dibbles; tech stuff can be a real pain! Thank you so much for this challenge. It was great fun.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think everyone now has the link and password. If I missed you, let me know.

Latest posts