SMF May 2019 Challenge - Tiger Stripes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the May 2019 SMF Soap Challenge – Tiger Stripes!

If you choose to participate, you will be creating at least one soap featuring the Tiger Stripes technique.

PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST (and ALL Rules)

General Rules:

1. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign-up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be sent by private message (conversation) to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's (conversations) when the voting begins.

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome and may be posted in this thread.

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

SMF Challenge General Rules

To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this).

Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced).

The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts, where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.

Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.

Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date.

The Entry thread will open on May 21, 2019 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)

After the closing date May 28, 2019 at 11:59 pm CST the winning entry will be chosen using Survey Monkey and the winner announced on May 31, 2019. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We would love to see anything you have produced.

Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.

All the challenge mods reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The May 2019 SMF Challenge is the Tiger Stripes technique.

Rules for this month’s challenge:

Create a soap using the Tiger Stripes technique throughout the entire soap. Soaps with tiger stripes in only a portion of the soap will not qualify.

You must use at least two colors; one of the colors may be the natural, uncolored soap.

You can pour your tiger stripes down the center of the mold with the mold sitting flat, or you can pour your tiger stripes along one wall with the mold sitting flat or tilted.

You can use a hanger (or other tool) to create a swirl within your soap, but the stripes should still be clearly visible and the predominant feature.

This is a challenge best suited for CP soap, but if you can figure out a way to achieve it with HP or MP go for it!

Below are photos and links for examples, but a search on YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram will turn up many, many more. The first two pictures are of soaps with and without a hanger swirl, made with the mold sitting flat. The second set of pictures are of soap I started pouring at emulsion, thin lines were poured and the mold was sitting flat. The next picture shows the mold slightly tilted. This was poured at thin trace. The next pictures of the white, black and gold soap show the batter at the thickest trace I used, thicker lines were poured and the mold was tilted.

Have fun! I can’t wait to see what you create!

Attachments

• Tiger Stripe with Hanger.jpg
    Tiger Stripe with Hanger.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 191
  • Tiger Stripe Challenge.jpg
    Tiger Stripe Challenge.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 179
  • P1010783_1917.JPG
    P1010783_1917.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 174
  • Rhubarb & Sugar Cane.jpg
    Rhubarb & Sugar Cane.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 785
  • P1010788_1912.JPG
    P1010788_1912.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 178
  • P1010789_1913.JPG
    P1010789_1913.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Frosted Birch & Juniper.jpg
    Frosted Birch & Juniper.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 186
  • P1010792_1906.JPG
    P1010792_1906.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 179
  • P1010793_1907.JPG
    P1010793_1907.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 181
  • Lavender and Tea Tree.jpg
    Lavender and Tea Tree.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Last edited:
1. Primrose - not my most favourite visual design however I'd like to try something new

I'm pretty sure I'm a challenge addict. The moment we get the results of the last challenge, I'm looking on the board to see if we've got a new one hahahahaha

1. Primrose - not my most favourite visual design however I'd like to try something new
2. MarnieSoapien - RAWR!

2. MarnieSoapien - RAWR!
3. Cellador- Purrrfect
4. earlene - I've only done this once, and it's time to try again.

2. MarnieSoapien - RAWR!
3. Cellador- Purrrfect
5. amd - this really will be a challenge for my fast moving recipe!

2. MarnieSoapien - RAWR!
3. Cellador- Purrrfect
6. In like Flynn -

And I was so proud of this two years ago!]

full

I went looking for because it looked so familiar when I saw the one you included in the first post, dibbles. I even bragged about it in this thread. Well, at least I'll get to see how much better I can do. I hope! I do know I poured too thin at the time I made that soap, which created the wispy bleedy lines. But I never did get around to trying it again, so I am glad this challenge gives me that opportunity!

2. MarnieSoapien - RAWR!
3. Cellador- Purrrfect
6. jcandleattic - In like Flynn

2. MarnieSoapien - RAWR!
3. Cellador- Purrrfect
7. Dawni - hmm.. let's see if I can get this done in HP

Otherwise, I guess I have another CP soap coming up lol

2. MarnieSoapien - RAWR!
3. Cellador- Purrrfect
8. steffamarie - I've been thinking about doing a tiger stripe! You read my mind!

2. MarnieSoapien - RAWR!
3. Cellador- Purrrfect
8. steffamarie - I've been thinking about doing a tiger stripe! You read my mind!
9. mommycarlson - count me in!

2. MarnieSoapien - RAWR!
3. Cellador- Purrrfect
10. Marilyn Norgart--not a fan of contests but I will try this one

2. MarnieSoapien - RAWR!
3. Cellador- Purrrfect
10. Marilyn Norgart--not a fan of contests but I will try this one

@Marilyn Norgart think of it as more of a group learning experience than a contest :)

2. MarnieSoapien - RAWR!
3. Cellador- Purrrfect
10. Marilyn Norgart-i am in!!

2. MarnieSoapien - RAWR!
3. Cellador- Purrrfect
10. Marilyn Norgart-i am in!!
11. Misschief - we shall see...will I have time?

Back