SMF March Challenge- Whipped Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will he be Fat Elvis or Young Elvis?

Omg! Poor elvis, I took his legs off and his head fell off. So it is torso elvis.

Although my favorite elvis is leather elvis when he was seated on stage. I remember when he died, ladies went wild. Wore black armbands and such.

Here's my first attempt. Not the "entry".
I will post an entry in a few.
Real interesting technique...

DSCF1754.jpg

DSCF1756.jpg

Argh!! Oil disaster! My hard oils were too soft as the house is warm so put them in the fridge for a short time before whipping them. I thought they were chilled enough but after adding the liquid oil it's very runny and not at all whipped looking!!

I know the soft oils are in there now but do you think if I refrigerate overnight then whip I will get a better consistency? Or is this batch a lost cause?

I melted my solid oils together and then cooled them in the freezer (taking them out twice to stir). It only took 30 minutes before they were ready to whip. I think it will work fine too.

Argh!! Oil disaster! My hard oils were too soft as the house is warm so put them in the fridge for a short time before whipping them. I thought they were chilled enough but after adding the liquid oil it's very runny and not at all whipped looking!!

I know the soft oils are in there now but do you think if I refrigerate overnight then whip I will get a better consistency? Or is this batch a lost cause?

I had the same issue and put it outside until it firmed up enough to whip it again (sub zero temperatures outside, why take up fridge space). It doesn't make any difference to the finished soap that I could tell.

I just cut my soaps after appx 36 hours. It was so sticky and tacky yesterday, I decided to wait. I used higher water with the hopes it would not break (33% lye), and I used 55% lard (I believe) with the hopes the lower stearic would help with my plague of breaking.
It didn't.
My soaps fell completely apart on cutting. I managed to get one bar that held together and will be entering it. So sad because it is a lovely soap. Onto the next challenge I suppose:cry:

I had the same issue and put it outside until it firmed up enough to whip it again (sub zero temperatures outside, why take up fridge space). It doesn't make any difference to the finished soap that I could tell.

I did think about putting it in the garage but went with the fridge instead. It worked fine and whipped nicely

But...

The pain in the a** FO I used is still a pain in the a**!!

I had plans for a design but the FO clearly had other plans!! It has been squished, squashed and pushed into the mould - it's not gonna be pretty!!

Just been to the fridge and there are little puddles of liquid on top of my soap - I'm wondering if I didn't combine my oils and lye water well enough and it's starting to separate? Oh dear

I would give it time. 77 F is still pretty cool, I thought maybe the soap was overheating.

Try taking it out of the fridge in a few hours if the temperature of the soap doesnt go up from the 77 F in the fridge. Keeping it at room temp without insulation will help it harden up a bit faster and might help the seepage re-absorb as long as the soap is not overheating.

Red Sky at Morning......

Every so often a soap "speaks" to you. Lion princess's soap reminds me of a grey sky and a grey, stormy sea. Great job!

I've just had to rebatch mine cos it was a crumbling mess when I cut it. It was a miracle I managed to get pics!! I did grate some up and keep it to add as confetti so it may still float in its new form

Latest posts

Back