SMF March Challenge- Whipped Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made my second attempt tonight. We'll see if the individual molds I used play nice... they didn't for the salt bars I made earlier this month. And while I'm not 100% happy with how things went, I still think it went better than my last attempt. lol I don't have the will for a third attempt. Next time I make soap, it will be with a different technique!

Well, I have to say... I am not in love with whipped soap. The texture just bothers me. It's fluffy. Weirdly fluffy. That just seems strange. Perhaps I over whipped it?? Maybe it will cure out stiffer?? One thing, it floats! So there's a modicum of success.

I guess it didn't help that my design is just sad. Don't you just hate when the lovely intention in your head turns into a mess in reality?

I will say, piping with it was nice. I ended up making a few cupcakes with my overage. Maybe I'll enter those instead of my loaf. They look slightly better. One bonus of whipping soap, I got a very vibrant white without adding any TD.

It was a fun challenge though, and I'm really happy I tried it. Whipped soap has been on my bucket list, and this challenge finally compelled me to get off my keister and do it. Thanks for that! :)

The texture just bothers me. It's fluffy. Weirdly fluffy. That just seems strange. Perhaps I over whipped it??

I love the soft fluffiness. I kept whipping to get it higher. I have found it a challenge to work with colors since it behaves so differently than normal cp. It certainly gives more pastels.

I made batch 2 today, and went with the idea of suspending crumbles from batch #1. I'm not optimistic it will look good but I still had fun with it. I wanted to have a little non-whipped batter to add streaks of color, and thought maybe I could heat some whipped soap to get it. But alas, I was not patient or ingenious enough so it stayed cream soap and I ended up folding it in. I don't think that will look very good but now I know.

I used the rest of the "mystery FO" in this batch (no discoloration in batch 1- yay!), along with Moroccan Fig. Smells really good. I should be able to cut after work tomorrow.

Last note to make: creamed soap screams for sculpted tops. Normally I don't do those, but I just couldn't resist with either of these batches. But unfortunately I have no experience making a nice textured top, so I'm afraid my attempts were rather lame. Shoulda done some youtubing first.

Do you guys think if I make my soap tomorrow I will have time to unmould and cut by Saturday?

I think it depends on your recipe and FO. Mine was ready to unmould and cut in 16 hours and still crumbled on the edges! Even if yours takes longer to set up, it should give you enough time. It's definitely worth giving it a go. Good luck.

I did it! I think of this as Nizzy's soap but took the challenge serious. I used vanilla oleoresin as the scent (OMG. YUM.) it darkened a little bit when I added it, but I am ever hopeful it will remain lighter, although I am fine with darker soap, too. I did 75% of y usual weight for my mold, it didn't seem as fluffy but I think it will still float. This is for fun, and not part of the contest (which I think is closed, anyway.) love.

I loving all of the creativity here (and of course the entry thread as well)! :)

Carabou, I'm glad that fragrance worked out for you. I know how that is, it's frustrating because you don't want to throw it away but then again, you don't really want to chance loosing a batch! I'm hoping it won't change color for you!

And LisaAnne, that looks like it was a huge undertaking! What you have looks great though! I'm sorry to hear you burned through 2 mixers on it. :(

Serene, I haven't worked with AC before but that almost makes me not want to try. On the other hand, I really actually like the texture that the "craters" give to the soap!

Penelopejane, (I'm a little late to this) I'm very glad to hear your DH has come out of surgery and is on the road to recovery!

Thank you everyone who is participating. :)

How does one find the entry thread to see what is being made?

Wohoo! Elvis lives! And he will FLOAT!!!

My batch #2 was worse than my first. No contender from me. I'm out of gas (and natural light) though so it'll be awhile yet before I can post my pics.

I have to laugh when I work on him, not sure how it will go! :)

Your in Alaska? Been twice, love it up there!

I managed to get another try in. It's still very zappy from yesterday since I didn't cpop and actually used 33% lye concentration. Hopefully I can unmold it tomorrow and cut and get it entered if it ends up being decent.

Latest posts

Back