SMF March Challenge- Whipped Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some ITP but there are mica lines of the same color for each color I did. I used Mica as well for the purple lines in the other soap floating in the water. Thanks! Both the mica line soaps took a while to make because of having to do mica lines after each addition of batter. It was EVERYWHERE!

Last edited:
Some ITP but there are mica lines of the same color for each color I did. I used Mica as well for the purple lines in the other soap floating in the water. Thanks! Both the mica line soaps took a while to make because of having to mica lines after each addition of batter. It was EVERYWHERE!

I LOVED that soap! It was like a mountain scene from a children's book with watercolor illustrations.

failures

I cut both of these two soon. Not that it matters on the second since it looks like it has chickenpox. Not like I imagined. Did not even finish cleaning them.. sigh

1.jpg

2.jpg

Chickenpox?? Not even close! And I adore that color combo! They're both nice, actually.

I haven't even started on the challenge. Most of my little free time has been following Iditarod news, videos, standings, etc (another passion of mine, but this one is crammed into just 2 weeks of the year so gets focused attention). But it's winding down now and the weekend is coming. I have NO idea on design. But oh the rocks! And the mountains! I'm sure there are other great possibilities but they haven't occurred to me yet. Well, regardless I am really looking forward to whipping soap and using at least one of the enticing vixens that I've kept closed in the closet!

Hey, wait a second!!! I just saw the title of your entry post, Serene! I am thrilled that you blame me for your lovely soap. I really like the color combo of your non-entries (I have to as I made one very similar to that myself and liked the outcome) but I love the combo of your entry. The delicate blue-green with the brown and orange is a knock-out to me!

Last edited:
lol I was wondering when you were going to notice the title. Yes, I blame you for entering these crazy challenges.

I was just not happy with what kept coming out of the mold but decided to stop at 4 batches. It did not help that I am always jumping the gun, and taking it out of the mold too soon.

The one failure that really got to me was when I was using activated charcoal and the tea strainer opened up . I tried to clean it up but I was so mad that I just took hand fulls of the stuff and dumped it in the mold without a care. Here is a pic after "washing" the soap to get all the Charcoal around it. See the lovely craters? I am still cleaning activated charcoal from every surface around where I was soaping.

Sere

NAILED IT!.jpg

Ok, first soap in the mold and now I know the mess you guys are talking about. But I love the creamy texture! Makes me want to bake (which I never do). The other cool thing is I used a fragrance that I don't know the name or nature of because the label print washed out long ago from getting another FO on it. I've been reluctant to use it without knowing how it might affect my soap but this challenge was perfect (now watch, it will completely discolor my soap brown).

I did not have a clear design in mind (well I kinda did but had to abandon it for logistical reasons as usual). So my expectations are very low. Wouldn't it be nice if that expectation would suppress my drive to unmold this thing???

Well I have to share my embarrassing failure. I had such high hopes. What started out as simple ended in a huge mess. (yes I can laugh at myself). I was going to do a water scene, that grew to add water lillies, then I find an elvis statue, made a mold and added elvis. Had plans to pour the floating water part, add the lillies, elvis with a brick border and grass at his feet. Then I was going to spend the rest of the week tweaking, making vines flowers, a bird and rocks. Tonight I burned up two hand mixers and I am throwing in the towel on this project. But, I learned to make a silicone mold, soapy clay and had I finished the project I would have learned to pipe soap because I was going to pipe mortar between the blocks. So not a total failure :)

20160315_194401-1.jpg

20160317_205510-1.jpg

20160318_214112.jpg

I loving all of the creativity here (and of course the entry thread as well)! :)

Carabou, I'm glad that fragrance worked out for you. I know how that is, it's frustrating because you don't want to throw it away but then again, you don't really want to chance loosing a batch! I'm hoping it won't change color for you!

And LisaAnne, that looks like it was a huge undertaking! What you have looks great though! I'm sorry to hear you burned through 2 mixers on it. :(

Serene, I haven't worked with AC before but that almost makes me not want to try. On the other hand, I really actually like the texture that the "craters" give to the soap!

Penelopejane, (I'm a little late to this) I'm very glad to hear your DH has come out of surgery and is on the road to recovery!

Thank you everyone who is participating. :)

Oh, my -- and I thought I was pushing my limits by figuring out how to make floating rocks! LisaAnne -- if you ever get Elvis and the lily pond figured out, I definitely want to see it! Wow!!!

Posted my entry. I was hoping to have another try at it, but I don't realistically think I will. Love the creativity I'm seeing in the entries so far - great job everyone!

I may have you beat on the mess, Serene. After I did my entry soap, I was brushing my hair before bed and noticing that my brush was all green. I was a little perplexed. Then after I did my purple mica line one, my son came home and laughed because I had purple mica lines in my face, my hairbrush turned purple when I brushed my hair that night and when I dusted my pictures in the kitchen, I got purple "dust", not to mention the purple sparkles all over the counter.

LisaAnne, I was staring at your first picture wondering why/how you made a liver out of transparent soap. ;) I see it was your mold, but it made me laugh.

I'm amazed at the creativity in the entries! Such beautiful soaps. Lisa Anne, there's some amazing ideas there, it must have taken you ages! Looking forward to seeing your final entry. My one attempt so far is pretty boring but I probably don't have time to do another as I caught a bug from the kids:(. I am thoroughly enjoying looking at everyone's entries though :)

My final entry just might be a floating liver. Elvis got chucked. Was fun while it lasted. When the second mixer smoked he got tossed in the lye and batter. I think I've watched too many cake wars on food channel.

Latest posts

Back