SMF March Challenge- Whipped Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I think so Arimara. Not sure why I didn't think of that. I see a lot of floating soap making this month. My soap from last night is dense, smooth looking and floats!

Shhh....sculpting whipped soap was going to be my trick.... :p I'm going to use my orchid fo that is a real pita (two attempts made - of nonwhipped - and still can't soap in the mold before it becomes concrete). And just for the extra challenge.... I might throw in some goats milk for the first time ever.

I got really stoked today when I started. My lard is whipped. My lye is ready. Yet the two shall not meet. I don't have a hand mixer! In my infinite wisdom, I tossed it when I bought my Kitchenaid. So, the lye will go into a plastic pitcher with a lid and the lard will go into a bowl with a lid until I get to the dollar store. My Kitchenaid whisk is aluminum. Fortunately, I did remember that before the lye. I was looking for the hand mixer while that puppy was working its magic. My lard looks so pretty!!

image.jpg

1. FlybyStardancer
2. Sonya-m - super excited to try this!!
3. amd - I have no idea what I've gotten myself into But I'm doing it.
4. traderbren - can't wait to whip it good!
5. Misschief - Oh, such fun!
6. Snappyllama - I cannot wait to try my hand at whipping up a batch.
7. Lisa Anne
8. Newbie- "So excited to use a PITA FO!" said no soaper ever. Until now!!!!
9. Wildcraft Garden - ooh I'm excited to try this out!
10. TeresaT - I've been wanting to try to make whipped soap but didn't know how. I'm out of 100% lard soap and need to make more. I can use clove EO again. This is perfect!
11. Steve85569 - I wasn't going to and then somebody said castille - and 'whip it good'
12. Judiraz- Ready to whip myself into a frenzy!
13. CaraBou - Grapefruit Lily! (and Ginger Pear and Moroccan Fig... to save the inevitable failures)
14. Arimara- Scary...
15. Serene- for the kitties.
16. Saponista - Do I dare try my nemesis FO Sugar Plum? There's no way I will be using it for anything else soap related so maybe I will risk it.....
17. Rowan - very scary, but I loove being scared...
18. Penelope Jane - When something is goin' wrong you must whip it.
19. dibbles - Found cheap mixer, will see what happens

Haha! Thats so funny! I had to look that up becasue I didnt know what it sounded like but its fits perfectly!

I tried to add royalty free music into my video but lets just say that didnt work very well. I decided to just leave it without!

I'm really glad you liked the video. This is only the second one I've done. But, I started really looking into what I liked/didn't like on soaping videos on youtube and I modeled it after ones I liked. I thought my first video (the one for the september challenge) was too jerky and all over the place. I taped my camera into the kitchen cabinet above my head for this tutorial.

It worked so surprisingly well that I decided to start filming myself regularly. I've filmed myself doing 5 soaps since then. I also have more time then I used to now for soaping so I thought this might be a good way to showcase me soaping/soaps.

On the note of filming myself, I wasnt able to make that HP castile whipped soap today as I forgot I had a new market to go to today. I will get to it tomorrow and post the video by saturday though!

1. FlybyStardancer
7. Lisa Anne
10. TeresaT - I've been wanting to try to make whipped soap but didn't know how. I'm out of 100% lard soap and need to make more. I can use clove EO again. This is perfect!
11. Steve85569 - I wasn't going to and then somebody said castille - and 'whip it good'
13. CaraBou - Grapefruit Lily! (and Ginger Pear and Moroccan Fig... to save the inevitable failures)
14. Arimara- Scary...
16. Saponista - Do I dare try my nemesis FO Sugar Plum? There's no way I will be using it for anything else soap related so maybe I will risk it.....
20. Soapswirl - I'm sure I have a few pesky FOs to revisit...

Once my husband wakes up from his nap, I'll be trying a small batch of floating soap. I am totally uninspired right now (as well as being sick) so I figure that making a small batch (8 oz of oils) may get the creative juices going.

Well, that was a learning experience. My small batch is in the mold. I kept it very simple for the trial batch. My recipe was:

50% Lard
15% Coconut oil
10% Avocado oil
10% Mango butter
10% Olive oil
5% Castor

I melted the coconut and mango together, then let them harden back up. After an hour on the counter, they still weren't. So I put them in the fridge while I whipped the lard. I kept checking the CO and mango and they were NOT cooperating at all so I slowly incorporated them into the lard and stuck the whole bowl in the freezer for about 20 minutes. That finally got everything hard enough that I could get nice firm peaks. Then I added the soft oils, a cube of coconut milk, and the lye.

Once poured into individual molds, I put the tray in the fridge for a couple of hours, until I went to bed. This morning, they're almost hard enough to unmold. I unmolded on bar; you can see it's still a bit sticky so I'll leave them alone and try again this evening... if I'm that patient. I'm home sick again today so you can be sure I'll be hovering over them.

Float challenge 1.jpg

Float challenge 2.jpg

1. FlybyStardancer
7. Lisa Anne
14. Arimara- Scary...
20. Dixiedragon - my 2 previous challenge attempts have been a bust.

1. FlybyStardancer
7. Lisa Anne
14. Arimara- Scary...
20. Soapswirl - I'm sure I have a few pesky FOs to revisit...
21. Dixiedragon - my 2 previous challenge attempts have been a bust.

I have to wait til tomorrow to make a practice run. I also have to check some oils and consider a colorant. I'm between debating turmeric and cheapie saffron + a FO with some vanilla.

Why do we not want this to gel? I always gel my soaps. Usually force-gel in the oven, so sticking this in the fridge after I fill the mold will be strange. I'm using all lard. Should I make the mold cold before I fill it? I stopped at the Dollar General on my way to work this morning, so I'm going to feed the dogs and leave them in their kennels while I "get my soap on" tonight.

This is my first batch since I've adopted Max. The girls never lie in the kitchen while I'm working; however, he is my shadow. If I'm washing dishes or cooking, he's right there on the floor. He's definitely going to have to be kenneled when I soap. Fortunately, all (four) of the dogs are well trained and don't mind being kenneled.

You won't need to chill your mold. The texture of the batter is firm if you whip it a lot and thick but pourable if you whip it somewhat less. It doesn't heat up but I suppose if you use a heater of an FO, it makes more sense to pop it in the fridge to prevent any heating. I've left mine out without problems but the FO's were not big-time accelerators. Putting in the fridge is good insurance.

Waiting for Ms. Lenaree to sign up so we can get her all charged up to soap again! She's got two new molds to break in, too.

This is like working with big blocks of marshmallow fluff that mated with styrofoam! It's so airy and a little fragile although I suspect in a few days it will be hard as a rock due to the recipe.

Sorry about the dog hair. I have three big shedders and i am always covered in it. I could never sell, obviously.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back