SMF March 2022 Challenge - Column Pour Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To sign up for the challenge, please copy and paste this list into the next post, adding your name with the next number.

1. Jersey Girl- Coming out of my cave to try this one. ♥Haven’t used my slab mold yet!
2. AliOop - How can I resist when Jersey Girl is back??? 🥰🥳
3. Vicki C, oh YAY I want to improve my techniques for this 😊🌸🌺🌼
4. Mobjack - will be a first for me!
5. Mx6inpenn - something new!
6. Kathy_VaO - First time with this technique. Can I use rectangle slab mold?
7. Gecko - I am making soap this weekend and have a 6" Slab Mold that I haven't tried yet.
8. PepperJack - haven’t much experience with slab molds 🤪
9. KiwiMoose okey dokey I’m gonna do this one.
10. Leanne.reynolds922
11. ~Dragonfly~ - first challenge for me. I'm so nervous haha
12. Microchick - lots of firsts for me...first challenge, first column pour, first time using a slab, first batch since June.
13. Heather McClain- oh so many ideas already!! Can’t wait!! I have never attempted a column pour
14. Kaymay - this is a new technique for me, looking forward to it
15. ResolvableOwl - Who else will try hard to leave half of the pour unswirled? (tip 7)
16. Jenny Sparks- I’ll give it a go! I’ve been meaning to try out this technique
17. peachymoon - I’ve sat on this for a while, but I wanna give it a try!
18. Whittany Nicholas - Allons-y!
19. Ladka - this is such an interesting technique!

I made my one attempt on Monday. The batter got so thick, you guys! 😂 But it's ok, the colors seemed to be what I wanted. I only "scalloped," I did not swirl them as a point of personal preference. I hope that's ok for the entry. :s I didn't think much of it until now, I had just decided to stop there when watching tutorial videos about it 'cos I like how it looks before all the extra swirling. I won't be able to see how it turned out until the final day the entry thread is open 'cos I soap at my boyfriend's and it's in his oven over there. Got my fingers crossed. 😅

I made my one attempt on Monday. The batter got so thick, you guys! 😂 But it's ok, the colors seemed to be what I wanted. I only "scalloped," I did not swirl them as a point of personal preference. I hope that's ok for the entry. :s I didn't think much of it until now, I had just decided to stop there when watching tutorial videos about it 'cos I like how it looks before all the extra swirling. I won't be able to see how it turned out until the final day the entry thread is open 'cos I soap at my boyfriend's and it's in his oven over there. Got my fingers crossed. 😅
That's exactly what I meant when I said next time I won't swirl. 'Scalloped' is a great term! I figure - why go to all the effort of a column pour if you're going to swirl the top anyway so no-one will notice it?

To sign up for the challenge, please copy and paste this list into the next post, adding your name with the next number.

1. Jersey Girl- Coming out of my cave to try this one. ♥Haven’t used my slab mold yet!
2. AliOop - How can I resist when Jersey Girl is back??? 🥰🥳
3. Vicki C, oh YAY I want to improve my techniques for this 😊🌸🌺🌼
4. Mobjack - will be a first for me!
5. Mx6inpenn - something new!
6. Kathy_VaO - First time with this technique. Can I use rectangle slab mold?
7. Gecko - I am making soap this weekend and have a 6" Slab Mold that I haven't tried yet.
8. PepperJack - haven’t much experience with slab molds 🤪
9. KiwiMoose okey dokey I’m gonna do this one.
10. Leanne.reynolds922
11. ~Dragonfly~ - first challenge for me. I'm so nervous haha
12. Microchick - lots of firsts for me...first challenge, first column pour, first time using a slab, first batch since June.
13. Heather McClain- oh so many ideas already!! Can’t wait!! I have never attempted a column pour
14. Kaymay - this is a new technique for me, looking forward to it
15. ResolvableOwl - Who else will try hard to leave half of the pour unswirled? (tip 7)
16. Jenny Sparks- I’ll give it a go! I’ve been meaning to try out this technique
17. peachymoon - I’ve sat on this for a while, but I wanna give it a try!
18. Whittany Nicholas - Allons-y!
19. Ladka - this is such an interesting technique!
20. Relle - I'm in, last minute, 1st challenge.

I had 2 fails to begin with but I'm going to show them anyway. I'm going to start making some small test batches of soap to figure out colors. I'm trying to keep away from micas and use infused oils but my colors are way too light so far. I need to figure out just how much I can use to get good color instead of all these pastels. Don't get me wrong, I like pastels but I want some brighter colors too.

So fail 1. I was having a very clumsy day, which I posted about before. When I dropped one of the infused oils, the actual herbs splashed into the batter so I've got specks everywhere. I think I also got my oil weights off because I got flustered from the drop, which I'm thinking may account for the white in the pink area (?).

Fail 2, I thought I'd get cute and try to do column pours in each cavity by using a straw as the column. I put soap dough in each end of the straws, which didn't work out too bad, except for that one straw that refused to stay in place. I think I didn't have the bottom cut straight enough so it kept tilting. I finally gave up and took it out. Because I had dumped my himalayan rhubarb oil, I tried making a quick batch of oil using the heat method and using it the same day, which didn't work. Again, colors 1 - me 0. I tried using a pipette to pour the batter over the straws but then it started thickening up, so I changed to a small paper cup with one side pinched almost closed. Fun fact, if you have too much batter in the cup, it doesn't work very well. The pic with the straws looks...um.. let's go with odd :)

I can't cut straight for the life of me, so I'm waiting to get my Caterpillar before making any more. It's all good, they'll all get used anyway :) It was a learning experience, which I'm always up for

Attachments

• fail1b.jpg
    fail1b.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 10
  • fail1.jpg
    fail1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 11
  • fail1c.jpg
    fail1c.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 12
  • fail2c.jpg
    fail2c.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 11
  • fail2b.jpg
    fail2b.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 11
  • fail2a.jpg
    fail2a.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 10
None of those look like fails to me! The straws were an interesting idea; I had seen something similar with bits of PVC pipe that had paper taped over the top holes.

Last edited:
Are there any restrictions to sharing images of our entries on social media platforms? I didn't want to share it on my other accounts and end up breaking rules I overlooked. 😅

Are there any restrictions to sharing images of our entries on social media platforms? I didn't want to share it on my other accounts and end up breaking rules I overlooked. 😅
We ask that entries not be shared anywhere before they are posted in the entry thread here. After that, I don't see a problem.

Back