SMF March 2021 Soap Challenge - Air Blow Technique aka Dutch Pour Technique aka Wind Blow Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a photo of my second attempt..

View attachment 55555

Interestingly, on both this one and attempt number one, I am seeing some separation of the base layer from the underlying soap...
Oh that's so pretty!! I have my black soap vibe on today and I'm just loving this! You're really making me want to try this technique again but I swore I was moving on 😝

The entry thread is now closed to new submissions and the voting link has been sent to the participants. Voting is open from now through the 30th, and I will post the winners no later than March 31st. Sooner if all participants vote before the voting closes.

Goo luck everyone! All your entries are gorgeous and I am sure choosing only three will be tough.

Omg I missed the entry deadline! Things have been crazy and I thought it was today but later. Anyway I did it and I will post it here.

it was supposed to be a rocky waterfall

Attachments

• EA73C19F-1809-40B7-BD7C-D0F3DE1A09FD.jpeg
    EA73C19F-1809-40B7-BD7C-D0F3DE1A09FD.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 24
  • D39C4192-0D76-443A-BC5B-4BEC479B57DB.jpeg
    D39C4192-0D76-443A-BC5B-4BEC479B57DB.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 26
  • BF316814-C1B2-4ABD-9EFE-D23B47866A3E.jpeg
    BF316814-C1B2-4ABD-9EFE-D23B47866A3E.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 64658456-4E55-4DDC-8239-9CCA8CAEAB53.jpeg
    64658456-4E55-4DDC-8239-9CCA8CAEAB53.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 39
So looking at everyone’s entry I know have a question for @earlene. I didn’t plane the top of my soap thinking it wouldn’t be allowed because it would alter the design. But the other entry tops look so smooth. Is it because they managed to keep the batter fluid or because they planed the top design? If I can plane the top of my soap I want to edit my entry photo! Lol!
I'm sorry. I don't know how I missed this post this morning!

I'd love to see how your planed top looks, though, so please post it here. I've already posted the voting link and people have already started voting, so I guess it's too late to make the change. I'm sorry.

Omg I missed the entry deadline! Things have been crazy and I thought it was today but later. Anyway I did it and I will post it here.

I am so sorry you missed the deadline, bookreader451. Your soap is beautiful. What blowing tool did you use?

I'm feeling so sad for you & I know just how you feel. Last month challenge I had experienced the very same, I was confused on the time challenge closed & missed the deadline. Your soap is beautiful & love the name too. ❤🧼🤗.

I'm sorry. I don't know how I missed this post this morning!

I'd love to see how your planed top looks, though, so please post it here. I've already posted the voting link and people have already started voting, so I guess it's too late to make the change. I'm sorry.

I am so sorry you missed the deadline, bookreader451. Your soap is beautiful. What blowing tool did you use?
I used a blow dryer but it thickened quickly

So looking at everyone’s entry I know have a question for @earlene. I didn’t plane the top of my soap thinking it wouldn’t be allowed because it would alter the design. But the other entry tops look so smooth. Is it because they managed to keep the batter fluid or because they planed the top design? If I can plane the top of my soap I want to edit my entry photo! Lol!
I didn't plane mine either, which is fairly evident on the backs of my soap. Well, ok, to be perfectly clear, I don't have a planer. :)
I will say my soaps are generally smooth unless the batter gets too thick on me - ETA: or the cling wrap gets wrinkly or dips onto the soap top (which is what happened to my base layer).

Ok, Thank you for confirming. I havent seen one like this before of the previous challenges, so, I have confused.

Take a look at this thread. It is called SMF Soap Challenges across the Years. It shows the links for every challenge thread and every entry thread since SMF started the Soap Challenges. If you click on the links to the entry threads, it will show you the soaps that were entered into the challenges.

Take a look at this thread. It is called SMF Soap Challenges across the Years. It shows the links for every challenge thread and every entry thread since SMF started the Soap Challenges. If you click on the links to the entry threads, it will show you the soaps that were entered into the challenges.
Thank you @earlene, I have bookmarked the thread, all the pouring techniques and pretty soaps at one place :)

I forgot to add: Both I and Hubby liked the "non-smooth" surface of your soap. Your texture was so even and on the whole surface of the soap, rather than on just one side as with a sculpted loaf top, which made it so fetching. I'd like a planer to fix sides that aren't quite straight and such, but I wouldn't plane soap like yours. Hubs' commented something close to: "Wait, what's that one with the "textured" top? I really like how they did that." And, there ya go. :)

I forgot to add: Both I and Hubby liked the "non-smooth" surface of your soap. Your texture was so even and on the whole surface of the soap, rather than on just one side as with a sculpted loaf top, which made it so fetching. I'd like a planer to fix sides that aren't quite straight and such, but I wouldn't plane soap like yours. Hubs' commented something close to: "Wait, what's that one with the "textured" top? I really like how they did that." And, there ya go. :)
Thanks and I appreciate the comment.. I just love this soap so much even though it doesn't look like I pictured in my head! I just wanted smooth tops with flowers blowing in the wind! The color scheme is just my favorite! I'm just in a personal battle with my soap batter and its need to accelerate! We are working it out though!

I planed mine to remove some of the soda ash; however, they were fairly flat to begin with. I didn't remove of all of the soda ash as that would have required multiple passes on the planer since mine only removes a very thin layer at once. Avoiding fragrance helped keep the batter very fluid. I think the texture adds to the design though, and I really like that bright neon pink in yours, with the black.

Congratulations, winners! I am announcing early because all the voters have voted.

And this may be a first: Everyone is a winner!

Out of the 6 entries:

First place: we have a 3-way tie for first place: glendam, The_Phoenix, & Mobjack Bay

Second place: Primrose

Third place: we have another tie: KimW and violets2217

Congratulations to everyone who participated and chose to vote in this difficult competition. Recognizing each and every one of the entries is a testament to how beautifully you all demonstrated your mastery of this (I hope) newly learned skill.

AND congratulations to all who participated and contributed to the thread, in spite of not being able to enter or missing the deadline (for which I am sorry.)

ETA:
Based solely on this month's hostess' whim, an Honorable mention goes to bookreader451, who missed the entry deadline, but created a gorgeous soap using a blow dryer. See her photos in her above post.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back