SMF March 2021 Soap Challenge - Air Blow Technique aka Dutch Pour Technique aka Wind Blow Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The top is poured and blown! I’ve decided my lung capacity is well below a healthy level! My hair dryer didn’t move anything once I poured, so I got out the straws! My reusable stainless steel bendy ones worked good and I moved the batter without passing out. I tried to go for a specific design, but just ended up doing whatever.... This is my entry! Definitely not trying again! I love love love the colors I chose & It was fun and made me feel “artistic”, but definitely difficult! Good choice @earlene!

The top is poured and blown! I’ve decided my lung capacity is well below a healthy level! My hair dryer didn’t move anything once I poured, so I got out the straws! My reusable stainless steel bendy ones worked good and I moved the batter without passing out. I tried to go for a specific design, but just ended up doing whatever.... This is my entry! Definitely not trying again! I love love love the colors I chose & It was fun and made me feel “artistic”, but definitely difficult! Good choice @earlene!
I thought the same of my lung capacity, it looks like my allergist doctor is right...looking forward to seeing your entry and all of the rest too.

1. The_Phoenix - I have a feeling my family won't see much of me for the next 26 days.
2. KimW - Thank you for hosting, Earlene! Hope your visit with MIL is pleasant.
3. AMD - hopefully I don't blow this (oh, wait... that's the opposite of what I need to do...)
4. glendam - this sounds intriguing and I need an excuse to make more soap
5. Mobjack Bay - YES, YES, YES!!!
6. bookreader451 - Always willing to try something new.
7. SPowers - I was going to beg off this one til I saw the micas & more video! she's a girl after my own heart and I also liked the straw idea... no more new equipment for me and I know I drop my hairdryer right into the middle of my mold!
8. violets2217 - I’m all in! Ready to up my game! 😬😳
9. Primrose - blown away by the fact that I've actually made soap for the first time this year!

I know I probably don't meet the requirements, but how do I find if I have 50 posts, so I can enter next month?

I know I probably don't meet the requirements, but how do I find if I have 50 posts, so I can enter next month?
Your "stats" are just below your username below your Avatar/Pic. Looks like you qualify:

:)

Your "stats" are just below your username below your Avatar/Pic. Looks like you qualify:

:)
Oh, ok!! Thank you! Some of these challenges are so outside of my skill level, but I'd love to give them a try sometime!

Oh, ok!! Thank you! Some of these challenges are so outside of my skill level, but I'd love to give them a try sometime!
Well, this one has proven to be the most fun for me. I actually settled on my entry after just two attempts, which is a first for me, and this only because I wanted better colors. :) This method might just edge out InThePot swirl from its spot in my usual soapy designs!

Last edited:
Well, this one has proven to be the most fun for me. I actually settled on my entry after just two attempts, which is a first for me, and this only because I wanted better colors. :) This method might just edge out InThePot swirl from its number 2 spot in my usual soapy designs!
I might have to give it a try sometime then! Is it too late to enter this month? I'm not sure when my latest supplies order might arrive 😬 (I don't currently have any colours)

I might have to give it a try sometime then! Is it too late to enter this month? I'm not sure when my latest supplies order might arrive 😬 (I don't currently have any colours)
Well, bummer. You do need at least four colors, but you could always get four colors with: 1st color: Low water in your lye solution (1:1), 2nd color: Hi water in your lye solution (2:1), 3rd color: a touch of activated charcoal (capsules can be found at most pharmacies) for a gray/grayish blue, 4th color: more charcoal for a darker gray/black. Look up "ghost swirl" here on SMF and on internet for more info on "Hi/Lo" and getting different shades by just adjusting the water amount in your lye solution. Then there's food coloring...which I will use now and then and I've never had problems with staining wash cloths, skin, etc. Just some thoughts! ETA: Cocoa powder too for a color - just thinking of things you might already have or be able to easily get!

I think you can enter up to the entry thread closing, but I'll tag @earlene for confirmation on that.

You can always try the technique without entering and post your results to this challenge announcement thread. :) Would love to see what you make using this technique!

You do qualify for next month's challenge.

Corsara, please read the PM I sent you. I do look forward to seeing any attempts you make with this technique, but since you didn't have 50 posts when this challenge was posted, you will have to wait for next month's challenge to compete in an SMF Challenge.

If you do try this technique, please review the safety precautions, as this would be considered an advanced technique and may be ambitious for a new soapmaker, considering the fact that blowing raw soap can be risky.

You do qualify for next month's challenge.

Corsara, please read the PM I sent you. I do look forward to seeing any attempts you make with this technique, but since you didn't have 50 posts when this challenge was posted, you will have to wait for next month's challenge to compete in an SMF Challenge.

If you do try this technique, please review the safety precautions, as this would be considered an advanced technique and may be ambitious for a new soapmaker, considering the fact that blowing raw soap can be risky.
Thanks @earlene! I probably won't attempt this month's challenge, that does sound pretty advanced! I can't wait to join in in the future!

The Entry Thread is open. I posted it early as I mentioned in this post, rather than upon my return because it sounds like others are ready to post AND I woke early. One of these days, I'd like to get a better sleep pattern going again. In spite of myself, I almost always wake up when Hubby leaves for work and am rarely able to get back to sleep.

Just a reminder of those who have entered this Challenge so far. If you meant to enter & have not added your name yet and you qualify, please copy/paste & add your name (I made that mistake myself once - forgot to add my name to the sign-up list.):

1. The_Phoenix - I have a feeling my family won't see much of me for the next 26 days.
2. KimW - Thank you for hosting, Earlene! Hope your visit with MIL is pleasant.
3. AMD - hopefully I don't blow this (oh, wait... that's the opposite of what I need to do...)
4. glendam - this sounds intriguing and I need an excuse to make more soap
5. Mobjack Bay - YES, YES, YES!!!
6. bookreader451 - Always willing to try something new.
7. SPowers - I was going to beg off this one til I saw the micas & more video! she's a girl after my own heart and I also liked the straw idea... no more new equipment for me and I know I drop my hairdryer right into the middle of my mold!
8. violets2217 - I’m all in! Ready to up my game! 😬😳
9. Primrose - blown away by the fact that I've actually made soap for the first time this year!

Now that the entry thread is open, here's my first attempt. I carried on with the technique even though I realized quickly that while the slab looked like a flag, the individual bars would not. Ah-whoopsies. I could have used just one or two bars, but the colors were a big miss too. Many thanks to @Tara_H for the idea of using a cake turntable! What a mess I would have made without it.
FullSizeRender (62).jpg
FullSizeRender (63).jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back