SMF March 2021 Soap Challenge - Air Blow Technique aka Dutch Pour Technique aka Wind Blow Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I just made my entry. I loved my base, that being said, the rest of it is a bit much. I made my very fluid, 30% solution with a lot of OO. I got the white base down, the colored batter and then the white was thickened just enough to not blow very well.
I ended up using a pallet knife.
This is my one and done.

I finished my soap on Monday night but have been holding off on getting excited about how it turned out until I was sure it wasn’t going to ash. I went mold-less and the soap is really thin on the top, which would make planing it smooth pretty tricky. I had some trouble with a colorant (an oxide) for the slab itself that resulted in clumping. It’s a small 6” slab, so I went ahead and did the top without that oxide in my lineup. I like it! The recipe I used is on the softer side (s+p = 25) and behaved well. Given the fluidity of the batter and the small size of the slab, a large diameter straw and a glass pipette were enough to move the batter around. Doing the top was fun, but it goes super fast! I’m planning to make another one in a completely different color scheme this weekend so I can have more fun with this technique.

I finished my soap on Monday night but have been holding off on getting excited about how it turned out until I was sure it wasn’t going to ash. I went mold-less and the soap is really thin on the top, which would make planing it smooth pretty tricky. I had some trouble with a colorant (an oxide) for the slab itself that resulted in clumping. It’s a small 6” slab, so I went ahead and did the top without that oxide in my lineup. I like it! The recipe I used is on the softer side (s+p = 25) and behaved well. Given the fluidity of the batter and the small size of the slab, a large diameter straw and a glass pipette were enough to move the batter around. Doing the top was fun, but it goes super fast! I’m planning to make another one in a completely different color scheme this weekend so I can have more fun with this technique.

Im sure it will be awesome!

@Jersey Girl thank you, and I am looking forward to seeing many awesome soaps from this crowd!

This challenge has me itching to try this technique in a giant slab mold or with a canvas and acrylic paints. It‘s such a go big or go home kind of technique and working in a 6” mold doesn’t help. I have to keep reminding myself that 1) my soap rack is almost full and 2) I have no wall space left in my house to hang art work.

@Jersey Girl thank you, and I am looking forward to seeing many awesome soaps from this crowd!

This challenge has me itching to try this technique in a giant slab mold or with a canvas and acrylic paints. It‘s such a go big or go home kind of technique and working in a 6” mold doesn’t help. I have to keep reminding myself that 1) my soap rack is almost full and 2) I have no wall space left in my house to hang art work.
I’m hooked, too. Want to play around with acrylic paint pouring when I can find an appropriate space.

My first real attempt
E5D0F7E3-BE56-4C1A-B588-E272120A670F.jpeg
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Too many colors.To be fair, I was making dinner as I was doing this. Should have just held off another day. I was tired AND hungry AND rushed. Lesson learned...

I like it! Very Jackson Pollock 😁
You are being very generous. 🥰

I kept running into the kitchen from my garage to check on dinner and my batter became less and less fluid each time. I used a straw, so as the batter kept getting more and more settled, I had to blow harder and harder. Once or twice I worried I was going to pass out because I was getting light-headed.

Also, I set my straw down and didn't realize there was a smear of soap batter on the counter. Let's just say I was nursing a bit of a lip chemical burn all night.

It was all very comedic.

@The_Phoenix - oh YES - lovely!
hmmm - me thinks I'm doing the technique all wrong and cutting my soap wrong. Copying the method in one of the videos, I'm pouring very shallow so that I end up with a slab of soap that's only about 1 inch high/thick. So, then, my only way to cut it is across this shallow slab rather than through it, so that the top of the slab is the top of the soap and the bottom of the slab is the bottom of the soap. Hmmmm @earlene - am I doing it wrong?! :rolleyes:

@The_Phoenix - oh YES - lovely!
hmmm - me thinks I'm doing the technique all wrong and cutting my soap wrong. Copying the method in one of the videos, I'm pouring very shallow so that I end up with a slab of soap that's only about 1 inch high/thick. So, then, my only way to cut it is across this shallow slab rather than through it, so that the top of the slab is the top of the soap and the bottom of the slab is the bottom of the soap. Hmmmm @earlene - am I doing it wrong?! :rolleyes:
Yup, I came to the same conclusion that I was making too deep of a slab of soap. I’m not used to making soap that’s not supposed to be 3” tall. This batch is 2” tall and I think I need to cut it down to 1”. I’m not sure how I feel about that.

Yup, I came to the same conclusion that I was making too deep of a slab of soap. I’m not used to making soap that’s not supposed to be 3” tall. This batch is 2” tall and I think I need to cut it down to 1”. I’m not sure how I feel about that.
I was thinking you did right with the deeper slab, and that I did it wrong with the more shallow slab. I REALLY like the look of yours better. Mine just looks like a two sided soap, if that makes sense, and the beauty of the base is lost unless you turn the bar over. I looked quickly at the soap videos, and I think I'm seeing it done both ways - with thicker slabs and thinner slabs.

@earlene If we use soap previously made for base soap, does it need to be in a slab mold?
I was digging through my personal stash box earlier this week thinking I could find enough soaps to lay flat and tight into my slab mold, but they don't fit as tight as I would like. Can one do this on a cut bar face? [and by "one" I mean me, lol]
If it needs to be a slab mold, I'll make it work, but thought I would ask first!

Latest posts

Back