SMF March 2017 Challenge- Black Background Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ladies and gentlemen I present to you my non-entry, batman soap :

2rp8lue.jpg

Evidently, I dropped both bars on the floor after taking the picture. These were the only ones who had no partial gel or bleeding from the coffee grounds. :mrgreen:

I posted mine. I almost thought not posting, as is not up to par with you all here! But is done .... I tried to make CP, and used safflower oil, and my batch was ruined twice. So I gave up .... never happened with my other recipes :(

I wanted to edit my entry to add a photo of the cut soap, but the Edit Button is missing. What's up with that, does anyone know?

Okay, it's a new thing on the forum, I did not know about until reading a note on the 'Delete Button is Missing' thread. What I ended up doing was quoting myself and adding the new photo at the bottom of that new post.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Because I wanted my soaps to be planed smoothly on the outer surfaces before taking more photos, I bought a Mandoline at Walmart and ended up with worse looking soap than I started with. That contraption goes back to Walmart tomorrow. Totally useless for making smoothly planed soap surfaces!

Anyway, here a couple of soaps I made that didn't make the cut:

This one has bits of trimmings from my Alaska Travels soap. I like how it turned out.
Black%20Background%20with%20Blue%20Rebatch%20bits%202017March05_002.jpg

This one is a bit more orange in person and the color scheme is for the San Francisco Giants, as I had Spring Training on my mind when I made this soap. It's a simple hanger swirl.
Black%20Background%20Soap%202017March16%20with%20Clementine%20mica.jpg

While I was at it with black soap batter, I decided to try out making black tires on a pink sports car:
Sports%20Cars%20and%20other%20soap%202017March16.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to edit my entry to add a photo of the cut soap, but the Edit Button is missing. What's up with that, does anyone know?

Okay, it's a new thing on the forum, I did not know about until reading a note on the 'Delete Button is Missing' thread. What I ended up doing was quoting myself and adding the new photo at the bottom of that new post.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Because I wanted my soaps to be planed smoothly on the outer surfaces before taking more photos, I bought a Mandoline at Walmart and ended up with worse looking soap than I started with. That contraption goes back to Walmart tomorrow. Totally useless for making smoothly planed soap surfaces!

Anyway, here a couple of soaps I made that didn't make the cut:

This one has bits of trimmings from my Alaska Travels soap. I like how it turned out.
Black%20Background%20with%20Blue%20Rebatch%20bits%202017March05_002.jpg

This one is a bit more orange in person and the color scheme is for the San Francisco Giants, as I had Spring Training on my mind when I made this soap. It's a simple hanger swirl.
Black%20Background%20Soap%202017March16%20with%20Clementine%20mica.jpg

While I was at it with black soap batter, I decided to try out making black tires on a pink sports car:
Sports%20Cars%20and%20other%20soap%202017March16.jpg

Your first soap is how I wanted mine to turn out. That's some beautiful soap. Did you simply add trimmings or did you also swirl it ?

Just in case it was forgotten... the link at the top still says ~ Last Look At February 2017 Challenge Photo Entries ~

It would be nice to have it changed so I can have a quick link to view all the beautiful entries. ;)

Ugh. I'm having a very difficult time deciding which soap to enter. I did 2 batches that qualify, one that was specifically for the challenge and 1 that was continued practice on a technique I've been trying to get down that I would have made anyway. I'm not perfectly happy with either.

Hello ladies and gents,

I am sooo sllooooowwww. I must apologize that I've been off-line so very long, AND I still need to make my soap.
Just a little bit of various things going on at the home front health wise with me and the DH. I plan on soaping this weekend.

I love those entries - just beautiful.

Attempt number 2 is out of the mold and cut but it needs a bit of time before its glamour shots.

Attempt number 1 went sideways big time. It started out black and pink (used red mica but clearly not enough) and seized on me. I glopped it into the molds anyway, because I didn't realize that it had actually seized, and it stayed zappy, oozed oil and got generally uglier as the days passed. So last night I grated it into the crockpot, added a bit of water and cooked it. It turned an interesting brown color and when I put it in the mold, it looked like a pan of brownies. Unfortunately, the color morphed into a gross purple that resembles chewed-up grape bubble gum. Exhibit A:

IMAG0267[1].jpg

I'm liking all the non-entries, as well as all the entries.

Toxikon, your Tim Burton Smoke Swirl is very clean and eye catching. I've never tried Black Tie, but it certainly sounds appropriate for this soap.

Dibbles, the clouds around the Earth in your Earth From Space soap are perfection. Gorgeous.

Mommycarlson
, your Spanish Fly Funnel Pour soap color scheme is so much like mine, of course I am drawn to it.

Artemis, your embedded Starry Sky soap is so beautiful. How nice to have your littlest guy helping with the design. I love the colors.

SunRiseArts, your theme reminds me of the ceiling in my granddaughter's room. The sparkles really help set it off.

Soapapprentice, I really enjoy the vibrant blues in your soap. I also have experienced more thickness with some micas when using multiple colors in soap. I don't know how long it's going to take before I know which one is going to go too thick too fast, and be able to adjust my actions accordingly to get the results I'm going for.

Doriettefarm, your choice for fragrance for your Electric Cowboy Soap certainly sounds fitting. Beautiful swirl.

Amd, your Black with Silver & White soap swirls is elegant.

Mx6inpenn, such beautiful colors in your 42...Galaxy Soap; beautiful swirl.

Here are two more of my non-entries that I made while in Flagstaff:

Black%20Background%20Soap%20Flagstaff%20-%202017March20_001.jpg

This one, I used lots of blue eyeshadow soaked in oil, but the lye ate the color. So now I know, whatever mica is used in eyeshadow is just not going to turn out as planned. This is the 3rd time I've tried using eyeshadow for color while traveling. Or maybe only the second time. Anyway, it didn't work out any of those times.

Black%20Background%20Heart%20Soap%20Flagstaff%20-%202017March20.jpg

I used a syringe with a large bore needled (designed for chef use to inject marinades into food, such as melons or meat) to produce the inner heart which was supposed to be blue. I used it again the next day to direct soap in intricate Easter Egg designs. I am really glad I bought that tool, as I like using it for soap, although cleaning it out immediately is imperative.

Everyone has created some beautiful work, I had intended on making my soap two weekends ago but family came into town earlier than I expected and made plans for the family I hadn't anticipated, then we went to Disneyland for a few days, then I got super sick so last weekend I was stuck in bed all weekend. I still have a few days so I hope to get something in a mold. I already have a jar of AC mixed and a black mica mixed ready to go...

Latest posts

Back