SMF June Challenge - Mosaic Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like an awesome challenge and if I find I can do it in the next week I'll totally join, but I am anxious to see the entries regardless! Its just horrible timing for me.

Is it okay to pour a very thin base of a color then the thick base in another color for the tiles? I have my top done but feel it needs a color at the bottom to anchor it.

Added June 17th, never mind it really doesn't matter. I'm actually not looking to compete. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Bwahahaha!!!! What evil soap making fiendish mind conjured up this month's torture?!!! (Oh....erm....sorry Saponista....I, um, didn't mean to imply....)
So let me restate: I'm an idiot. I'm losing it. This is sooooo much harder than I thought. (Story of my life, actually.)
A mosaic slab? I just may end up with a nice loaf with chunk embeds, and life as I once knew it will go on. In the meantime, while I still have a few shreds of sanity left, I'll try to pour my base today and lay tile. If I don't smash their sticky little smudged misshapen bits of blob to smithereens first.:crazy::twisted:
(Probably should have put this in "Rants," huh?)

Unfortunately you have to have been a member for a month and have made 50 posts before you can sign up on the entry thread smellynewbie. You are only at 30 ish posts so if you keep posting and go over the 50 post total you will be welcome to sign up to the thread and will be eligible for voting even if you do not wish to post an entry. :)
oh i see thank you for letting me know maybe i will get to play next time x
Save

Bwahahaha!!!! What evil soap making fiendish mind conjured up this month's torture?!!! (Oh....erm....sorry Saponista....I, um, didn't mean to imply....)
So let me restate: I'm an idiot. I'm losing it. This is sooooo much harder than I thought. (Story of my life, actually.)
A mosaic slab? I just may end up with a nice loaf with chunk embeds, and life as I once knew it will go on. In the meantime, while I still have a few shreds of sanity left, I'll try to pour my base today and lay tile. If I don't smash their sticky little smudged misshapen bits of blob to smithereens first.:crazy::twisted:
(Probably should have put this in "Rants," huh?)

Hahahaha I know just how you feel Marie! *I* measured out my slab mold (a drawer, actually) to figure out how much batter I'd need to make 1" deep soap. Then I blithely poured half that amount to cut tiles, even though I knew full well I would not then USE all those tiles in the finished product! So I have instead of nice thick bars, tiny thin bars that I cut extra large in area to make up for thinness. Plus two handfuls of mashed-together-bits of tile that are leaking oil all over the place. I used the exact same recipe for my tiles and base and yet the tiles are still super soft 36 hours later and the base set up fairly nicely in 12. Plus the tiles ashed horribly and I had to scrape and then wash my bars before pictures!! I was thinking as I finished this morning, "NEVER AGAIN AM I DOING A MOASIC SOAP." lol!

Ooooooh! How lovely! Not sure if I will get time either. I will add my name to the list if I get one made. The AC is broken at work and working in the 95+ degree heat has been taxing at best. Later in shorthandedness and I am in day ten with no day off. I've been working and sleeping and that is all, literally. No housework, etc. I hate summer and fibro and my sugar daddy needs to get on it....

On the upside, I can happily pull out my graph paper and get to work just in case!

Blackdog your soap is nice I like the whole thing. You are right the one fish is perfect, looks so graceful and just flows. :)

I will post the soap recipe and design as jpg in this message. I used Crafters Choice Honeysuckle Blossom Fragrance Oil from WSP. The image is to be of a bird rising from the bush with sun rays in the background (with four tiles - bars - displaying the image). Things I would do over include pouring the wings as pieces with a pour over pour pattern with the blues, I would make thicker pieces in a smaller mold for tiles, and I would have made a larger recipe for the "concrete".

WIN_20160617_13_50_46_Pro.jpg

WIN_20160617_13_51_22_Pro.jpg

Very pretty soap, Blackdog. I like the carp theme.

Blackdog your soap is nice I like the whole thing. You are right the one fish is perfect, looks so graceful and just flows. :)

Thank you earlene and LisaAnne. I had a lot of ideas for this challenge - it was hard to pick one! There are tons of possibilities with something like this. I wish it didn't take so long to cut up all the dang pieces or I would do more! Apparently I need a soap slave.........

*eyeballs husband, quietly minding his own business on the other sofa*

Guys, I have enjoyed looking at the mosaic entries that have been posted so far, I love what you have managed to do with this theme, really fun to see how everyone solve the puzzle in different ways - well done!!: )

My soap is done and is resting in the "slab" mold untill tomorrow. By "slab" I mean a square piece of carton that held 100 pcs of tealights in them. I have used it many times before, just line it with saran wrap and it is perfect for something like this.

I did the chart thingy, I knew the color I wanted, everything layed out on a piece of carton, and took a picture of how it should go inside the slab etcetcetcetc.

Did not turn out what I wanted. It looks so bland... Why does that happen to me every.single.time? >_<

Seriously whyyyy *sob* .

I don`t think I have enough time to do another one, I barely had time to do this one because I have been very ill, but I feel it was such a challenge I want to present something at least.

I think I will decide after I take it out of the mold tomorrow. I need some distance to it, look at it with fresher eyes.

But one thing is for sure, if I don`t have time to do it again now, I REALLY want to do this again at one point. And I know exactly what I want to make too : D

what I envisioned is so NOT what came out. But it will be my entry anyway since one try is all I have time for this month!

That seems to be be my regular standard experience every time I make something for a challenge. I want to do so well, and then it`s like the soap does the oposite.

Oh, a challenge you say?? You want to do a nice swirl, do you? You want to do something...special, DO YOU!!?? Well, let us see about that! *cracks its soapy knuckles and jumps up and down like a pro-elite boxer to fence off every move, whilst dripping with emulsification and speckles of mica*

Going to take my entry out of the mold now, and take pictures of it. I will show the whole soap, and not cut it because that will ruin the image. Eeek, well see how it looks... O_0
Will upload entry pictures tomorrow (unless I manage to do it right before bed in an hour)

I really don`t have enough time to do another one as we are going away on wednesday and won`t be back untill late at night...

Oh well, at least I managed to scrape it together and have at least something to enter! I really want to do this thing again, it was fun. Time consuming, but fun!

^^^^ (post 73) They are called soap gremlins and they attack when you least suspect them and stay for a little while, unfortunately!

I don`t think I have enough time to do another one, I barely had time to do this one because I have been very ill, but I feel it was such a challenge I want to present something at least.
: D

I hope you feel better soon. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
^^^^ (post 73) They are called soap gremlins and they attack when you least suspect them and stay for a little while, unfortunately!

I hope you feel better soon. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I have heard of those! Well, I tried to lock the door and shut the windows but forgot the airventilation thingy in the kitchen. They probably snuck in that way: P

And thank you for your kind wishes, very sweet of you! : ) I am used to being sick, I have a complicated health situation that takes me for a ride quite often. But as long as I can be home and soap, not cooped up in a hospital, I ain`t complainin`!!

In honor of my father, I made the mosaic of a project my Dad did when I was young. I made several different test soaps this month with the plan to use certain ones of them as mosaic pieces in this particular soap. I used all the ones I had planned to except one, which didn't turn out as a useful soap. It's going into the rebatch bucket to be re-worked into something more useful. Some of my test soaps turned out so beautifully, IMO, that I was happy I didn't have to use all of them to cut pieces to fit the mosaic design. I was afraid I would be left with little to show for those lovely color and technique tests. But I have photos, and some actual bars of soap to evaluate after they cure.

In the meantime, because yesterday was Father's Day and the soap I made was in honor of my father, I made the soap on Father's Day. After an overnight gel in the oven, I unmolded it, took some photos, sat it under a fan for a few hours, then cut it. More photos. I think the cut bars of soap look better than I expected them to after removing the slab from the mold, so I am happy with the result.

I will post pictures in the entry thread shortly.

In honor of my father, I made the mosaic of a project my Dad did when I was young. I made several different test soaps this month with the plan to use certain ones of them as mosaic pieces in this particular soap. I used all the ones I had planned to except one, which didn't turn out as a useful soap. It's going into the rebatch bucket to be re-worked into something more useful. Some of my test soaps turned out so beautifully, IMO, that I was happy I didn't have to use all of them to cut pieces to fit the mosaic design. I was afraid I would be left with little to show for those lovely color and technique tests. But I have photos, and some actual bars of soap to evaluate after they cure.

In the meantime, because yesterday was Father's Day and the soap I made was in honor of my father, I made the soap on Father's Day. After an overnight gel in the oven, I unmolded it, took some photos, sat it under a fan for a few hours, then cut it. More photos. I think the cut bars of soap look better than I expected them to after removing the slab from the mold, so I am happy with the result.

I will post pictures in the entry thread shortly.

How thoughtful and timely your soap will be! It's so nice when you can be happy with the soap that you've made, instead of hyper-critical with coulda shoulda woulda's. I can't wait to see it!

Okay, my entry is posted! I had a back-up plan, two in fact in case I didn't like how this one turned out. It may not be as exotic as a koi pond, which is a really beautiful mosaic soap, but I am pleased enough to let this one be the entry. The others I will do another day. As one of them I think would make a really nice looking soap.

In preparation for my entry I made several soaps this month to be included in the mosaic pieces. And because they were going to be part of my challenge entry I never posted details about them or pictures either. So now I am going to toddle on over to the Photos section and post some pictures of some soaps I did earlier this month of which I am particularly proud.

Latest posts

Back