SMF June 2022 Un-Challenge - Cocoa Powder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this earlier when I was wondering the same, it was a recommendation by weight. I only had regular cocoa powder in hand (not Dutch processed, which is a deeper color), so I used it in combination with brown mica to avoid using so much that it would cause problems in the shower. I dispersed it in oil prior.

Last edited:
Any tips on dispersing the cocoa in either oil or water? How do you usually add it so it doesn't go lumpy? Any what are the recommended quantities? Just eyeball it until the colour looks about right?
I disperse in oil and just eyeball it. I use a little Badger mini paint mixer like I do all my micas. Never had an issue with clumping.

I used Dutch processed cocoa as one of the browns in my wood grain soap (Mahogany Shea). I dispersed in oil like I do with my micas, but definitely had to use more. It's the furthest right in the last pic.

Pretty happy with how it turned out. I figured with the multiple browns, it would still look ok even if the cocoa powder fades over time.

Attachments

• IMG_20220609_135150390_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220609_135150390_HDR.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220609_135140218_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220609_135140218_HDR.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220608_134622899_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220608_134622899_HDR.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 0
I finally had time to take a photo of the soap I made using cocoa powder. I rarely get glycerin rivers, so normally I don't mind when it happens. I would really rather they weren't here this time though. I'm sure it's due to mixing the cocoa powder with water - no rivers in the green swirl. I used All Souls Day from Nurture Soap for fragrance and it smells amazing.
6.2022 Cocoa Powder.jpg

I finally had time to take a photo of the soap I made using cocoa powder. I rarely get glycerin rivers, so normally I don't mind when it happens. I would really rather they weren't here this time though. I'm sure it's due to mixing the cocoa powder with water - no rivers in the green swirl. I used All Souls Day from Nurture Soap for fragrance and it smells amazing.
View attachment 67279
I love the glycerin rivers in this soap!!!

And the colors too

I just happened to use cocoa powder in this soap I made the other day.
The colors come from uncolored soap batter, cocoa powder, cocoa powder + activated charcoal, cocoa powder + rose kaolin clay, and yellow Brazilian clay. This soap is scented with a blend of eucalyptus, spearmint, and tea tree oil.

Attachments

• 3FA5A6EE-9C67-42DA-A315-EC62A8BFA271.jpeg
    3FA5A6EE-9C67-42DA-A315-EC62A8BFA271.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 0
The colors come from uncolored soap batter, cocoa powder, cocoa powder + activated charcoal, cocoa powder + rose kaolin clay, and yellow Brazilian clay. This soap is scented with a blend of eucalyptus, spearmint, and tea tree oil.
I am in love with this soap. So pretty. Looks so nice.

I disperse mine in a little bit of hot water, the same as you would do if you were drinking it. It complete dissolved for me.

This is the most beautiful wood design I've ever seen. You should make a video clip for this amazing technique :D

Any tips on dispersing the cocoa in either oil or water? How do you usually add it so it doesn't go lumpy? Any what are the recommended quantities? Just eyeball it until the colour looks about right?
I use it in oil. I use about 2 tablespoons per 5 lbs.

Attachments

• Color Popups (14 of 33).jpg
    Color Popups (14 of 33).jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 0
I used Dutch processed cocoa as one of the browns in my wood grain soap (Mahogany Shea). I dispersed in oil like I do with my micas, but definitely had to use more. It's the furthest right in the last pic.

Pretty happy with how it turned out. I figured with the multiple browns, it would still look ok even if the cocoa powder fades over time.
Lovely. These remind me a bit of the soap I colored with manjhista. Love the woodgrain look!

These are lovely, I wish I knew his to make it. I'd love to known the process.

(Please copy & paste the list into a new post, then add your name along with the next appropriate number.)

1. peachymoon - I've been wanting to work with cocoa! 😋
2. glendam - chocolate soap is in my to-do list, this is perfect!
3. Mx6inpenn - I haven't used natural colorants since I first started.
4. TheGecko - I need to make another batch of my Chocolate Espresso (cocoa in the batter, cocoa line, cocoa dusting)
5. earlene - I can make soap again at last (sutures removed, incision healed & I can wear gloves again)
6. Nanna - I can finally do a challenge and my next one was going to be with a cocoa line😃👍
7. Kimimarie84 - looking forward to this!
8. Catscankim - ok, I'm in
9. linne1gi - I will get my challenge in time this month, I promise.
10. LisaBoBisa - two ideas for this one already!
11. Dooleykins - I need to make another batch of my Log Cabin soap, as well as experiment with a mocha soap. Great opportunity for it!
12. Mobjack Bay - feeling inspired by the great cocoa soaps being posted.

Latest posts

Back