SMF June 2020 Un-Challenge - Half & Half

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. dibbles - I have a couple of half&half-baked ideas!
2. szaza - I already have something in mind😉
3. amd - I "half" to do this [sorry!]
4. Jerseygirl- Hmmmmmm....it will come to me... :D
5. AliOop- As a Gemini, I heartily approve of this challenge. :) (I am not actually into horoscopes at all but definitely fit the alleged Gemini profile of being half this, half that).
6. Misschief - I already do a couple of half and half soaps so I'll have to think about changing it up somehow.
7. MOBJACK BAY - I had half-decided not to do the June challenge, but I have an idea that is not half-baked, so I guess I half to do it. (Sorry Dibbles and amd...)
8. ANSTARX - I didn't make it in time for the last challenge but I figured I should be able to this one! I have some ideas already...
9. MarnieSoapien - I have half a mind to give this a go!
10. Artemis - maybe I can motivate myself! a
11. msunnerstood - Im All In!
12. KimR-First challenge, I'll give it a go. Be half nice!
13. ShySoaper - I’m in gonna try
14. bookreader451 - I am always up for an unchallenge.
15. Adobehead- I just happen to have made some yesterday that fits this description. Since it is still uncut, I don't yet know if it's fit to show anyone.
16. shermluge- Going for it!! ohhh Great Jerseygirls in.. I'm in trouble.
17. Bari b - since I finally qualify, even for an unchallenge, I have to give it at least half a go!
18. sarahmarah - no better way to learn than to get out of my comfort zone! I’ll try it 😊
19. EllieMae - I think I'll actually have time to soap this week - huzzah! Hopefully it's not too late to sign up!

So this is my um “stylized” pink grapefruit soap. I wanted to try my hand at soap dough so I made some grapefruit slices last week, sliced them up and used them as embeds here. I’m still learning how this vegan/palm free base behaves and I should have left this sit for about a week before planing it. Don’t ask me what happened to my other two test bars that fell off my planer 😩.
Two micas used Pot O’ Gold + Voodoo from Mad Micas mixed with TD. My take away here besides letting my soap sit longer is that I’m going to do canes instead of individual slices so that embed placement is easier and more uniform. Overall this was fun. I’m going to try it again 😊

Attachments

• 73823234-8F68-4F1A-BA29-734BC3F79E30.jpeg
    73823234-8F68-4F1A-BA29-734BC3F79E30.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 41
So this is my um “stylized” pink grapefruit soap. I wanted to try my hand at soap dough so I made some grapefruit slices last week, sliced them up and used them as embeds here. I’m still learning how this vegan/palm free base behaves and I should have left this sit for about a week before planing it. Don’t ask me what happened to my other two test bars that fell off my planer 😩.
Two micas used Pot O’ Gold + Voodoo from Mad Micas mixed with TD. My take away here besides letting my soap sit longer is that I’m going to do canes instead of individual slices so that embed placement is easier and more uniform. Overall this was fun. I’m going to try it again 😊
This is gorgeous

Nice job on the embeds!

Here is my Half & Half Un-challenge soap. This isn't my first choice of recipe for this challenge, but my other was getting a bit ambitious and I thought it might accelerate too much for what I wanted to do with it, so I tried another recipe in my lard explorations. This one has 70% Lard (highest percentage I have tried), 15% Coconut Oil, 15% Olive Oil Pomace and 5% Castor Oil. I used a sample of NG Cracklin Birch to scent the whole batch, then divided the batter and colored half with NS Gold Brazilian Clay and half with NS Black Brazilian Clay.

Once I added the FO it accelerated, though not so much it wouldn't pour fortunately, but it wasn't quite as fluid as I would have liked. I might have to start adding the FO after I have colored each portion.

I divided my loaf mold in half lengthwise and poured the black in one side and the gold in the other side, then removed the divider and did a spatula swirl to swirl the two colors somewhat. I really liked the way it came out and was pleased with it in the mold.

50-50_Challange_pour.jpg

Here is a view of the loaf once I unmolded it.
50-50_Challenge_Loaf.jpg

And here are pictures of the soap after being cut. It was still a bit soft, so the edges are a little rough to clean up much.
50-50_Challenge-Cut1.jpg

50-50_Challenge_Cut2.jpg

50-50_Challenge_Cut3.jpg

This was fun and I am really pleased with the soap and how it turned out. I think I still want to try my more challenging batch so hopefully will get it done tomorrow or Wednesday!

@Bari b this is so pretty. You got really good colors from your clays. I just got those clays from Nurture this week and haven't had time to play with them yet. How much did you use?
@dibbles Thanks! I used 1/2 teaspoon of the gold and 3/4 teaspoon of the black and each portion was about 0.875 lbs of oils. They are recommended at 1/2 teaspoon PPO. I didn't want a dark black, more of a rich brown, so didn't up the black clay too much from the recommended amount. I did hydrate them in some of the water before using them.

@dibbles Thanks! I used 1/2 teaspoon of the gold and 3/4 teaspoon of the black and each portion was about 0.875 lbs of oils. They are recommended at 1/2 teaspoon PPO. I didn't want a dark black, more of a rich brown, so didn't up the black clay too much from the recommended amount. I did hydrate them in some of the water before using them.
Thank you!

"I might have to start adding the FO after I have colored each portion."

This is what I do, then you can judge when you mix the first one. Lovely soap with a nice contrast.

I decided to get a bunch of new batches done while I had the time last week. And thankfully I did - this week has been so hectic and busy I almost forgot to post them here!

The first is scented with black cherry merlot and has a half top of bath mix (I know, I know, I hate it in the shower too but it looks so dang pretty for photos! Haha).
The second is lavender scented, half with poppy seeds for some extra scrubby action. Also attempted a PENCIL 🙈 line but failed miserably to get it into the corner so let’s pretend that was “on purpose” as a half pencil line lol.
The third is rose garden scented. Half dark pink and half light pink in total. Also another half bath mix top. I also realized I should use props in photos more often with this pic!

Attachments

• 2C7041C4-8E57-4B34-8806-59E2C5C0DB69.png
    2C7041C4-8E57-4B34-8806-59E2C5C0DB69.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 2D9E1AF3-6612-41F5-B830-FC991BD85701.png
    2D9E1AF3-6612-41F5-B830-FC991BD85701.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • 62053A81-D4E7-4F6C-B562-E10EAB1CEA69.png
    62053A81-D4E7-4F6C-B562-E10EAB1CEA69.png
    2 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Latest posts