SMF June 2020 Un-Challenge - Half & Half

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These did not turn out as envisioned. I’ve had a very rough couple weeks with some health issues and life in general so my head has not been in the soaping game as fully as it needs to be when making soap.
I wanted to do opposite colored swirls. I used Koi mica from MM and TD for color. Half Grapefruit from NG and half Satsuma Orange from NS I may try again when things calm down around here.View attachment 46917
I hope You feel better soon and life gets back to your normal. Your soap looks beautiful. ❤️❤️

@Mobjack Bay That's one nice looking soap loaf!
I am super happy with this mold, so thanks for the recommendation! I did have a heck of a time getting the soap out of the liner, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out. This mold+liner are 4x heavier than the molds I bought on Amazon, which I think is going to help with the perpetual challenge I have getting my 35% lye concentration soaps to gel. This batch went on a heating pad (topped with cardboard and covered with towels) for two hours and was then left wrapped overnight. It looks like it gelled and there’s no heat rash and no ash.

I did have a heck of a time getting the soap out of the liner, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out.
Did you get the 4.5 lb mold? I don't fill it to the top, so after pulling the silicone away from the 4 sides I can invert it and press gently on the bottom to break the seal and get it started. Then, holding it upside down I can pull the silicone away from the ends with one finger and gently press on the bottom. It is a struggle. I almost always cut my ends off anyway, so if they get a little dinged up in the process it doesn't really matter for me. If you find a better way, please share!

I am super happy with this mold, so thanks for the recommendation! I did have a heck of a time getting the soap out of the liner, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out. This mold+liner are 4x heavier than the molds I bought on Amazon, which I think is going to help with the perpetual challenge I have getting my 35% lye concentration soaps to gel. This batch went on a heating pad (topped with cardboard and covered with towels) for two hours and was then left wrapped overnight. It looks like it gelled and there’s no heat rash and no ash.

They are the best! The heating pad, the cardboard box and towels are exactly how I do every batch and mine always gel. Most of the time I only line my molds with freezer paper though. I do have one with a liner and the dividers (sooooo awesome). You will figure out the liner. It slips out easily once you do. You just have to break the suction on the bottom. Hard to explain.

Did you get the 4.5 lb mold? I don't fill it to the top, so after pulling the silicone away from the 4 sides I can invert it and press gently on the bottom to break the seal and get it started. Then, holding it upside down I can pull the silicone away from the ends with one finger and gently press on the bottom. It is a struggle. I almost always cut my ends off anyway, so if they get a little dinged up in the process it doesn't really matter for me. If you find a better way, please share!
Yep, it’s the 4.5 lb TS mold. I plan to make the soap 3.5” tall moving ahead, but this one ended up being 3” tall because I used oils measured out for my other mold. It sounds like I got the process for getting the soap out of the mold about right, but It required a bit of jiggling it to get it started and I was afraid it might fall out onto the counter unexpectedly.

Well I finally had time to make a batch this weekend. Now that I had to go back to working 8 hours there just aren’t enough hours in a day. The half days getting paid for full days was sweet while it lasted. My soap is leftover soap. I used crumbled soap curls from the April challenge and the rest of three FOs. The FO were orange blossom, orange pomegranate cider and lavender. It actually smells amazing. I made pink and white batter and added the crumbled curls to the white and did a drop swirl. I wasn't sure If I was going to like it but I have to say it is growing on me.
8FD7D084-1488-462A-8636-C561E02FB95D.jpeg

Here is my June un-Challenge soap: 50% white TD with 50% of what is supposed to be a teal-colored mica. We shall see if it morphs back from the current soft mint green. Most of the white ended up on the sides and bottom.

The batter was my favorite 75% lard, 20% CO, and 5% castor, with vinegar for liquid and added sugar and goat milk. I had gear ties pre-hung on each long side of my small loaf mold, and used those to swirl up and around a bit.

As you can see from the pictures of the rest of the batch, I cut a little too soon, which means I cannot clean these up until they are firm. So pardon the scruffy edges, please. :) The top is lightly textured, but I muddied the colors by trying to swirl it before it set up enough.

You can also see the multiple sizes of the bars; I am experimenting to figure out which size is going to work best for me. I did finally figure out that I don't like to pour to the top of this mold, as it makes the bars too square for my liking. Pouring it about ⅔ full gives me the option for more rectangular bars, which I do prefer.

June Challenge soap 1.JPG

June Challenge Soap 2.JPG

Last edited:
Here is my June un-Challenge soap: 50% white TD with 50% of what is supposed to be a teal-colored mica. We shall see if it morphs back from the current soft mint green. Most of the white ended up on the sides and bottom.

The batter was my favorite 75% lard, 20% CO, and 5% castor, with vinegar for liquid and added sugar and goat milk. I had gear ties pre-hung on each long side of my small loaf mold, and used those to swirl up and around a bit.

As you can see from the pictures of the rest of the batch, I cut a little too soon, which means I cannot clean these up until they are firm. So pardon the scruffy edges, please. :) The top is lightly textured, but I muddied the colors by trying to swirl it before it set up enough.

You can also see the multiple sizes of the bars; I am experimenting to figure out which size is going to work best for me. I did finally figure out that I don't like to pour to the top of this mold, as it makes the bars too square for my liking. Pouring it about ⅔ full gives me the option for more rectangular bars, which I do prefer.

View attachment 46981
View attachment 46984

These are so pretty! I love the green personally!

Well I finally had time to make a batch this weekend. Now that I had to go back to working 8 hours there just aren’t enough hours in a day. The half days getting paid for full days was sweet while it lasted. My soap is leftover soap. I used crumbled soap curls from the April challenge and the rest of three FOs. The FO were orange blossom, orange pomegranate cider and lavender. It actually smells amazing. I made pink and white batter and added the crumbled curls to the white and did a drop swirl. I wasn't sure If I was going to like it but I have to say it is growing on me. View attachment 46980

I think these look awesome! Wish I could smell them!

1. dibbles - I have a couple of half&half-baked ideas!
2. szaza - I already have something in mind😉
3. amd - I "half" to do this [sorry!]
4. Jerseygirl- Hmmmmmm....it will come to me... :D
5. AliOop- As a Gemini, I heartily approve of this challenge. :) (I am not actually into horoscopes at all but definitely fit the alleged Gemini profile of being half this, half that).
6. Misschief - I already do a couple of half and half soaps so I'll have to think about changing it up somehow.
7. MOBJACK BAY - I had half-decided not to do the June challenge, but I have an idea that is not half-baked, so I guess I half to do it. (Sorry Dibbles and amd...)
8. ANSTARX - I didn't make it in time for the last challenge but I figured I should be able to this one! I have some ideas already...
9. MarnieSoapien - I have half a mind to give this a go!
10. Artemis - maybe I can motivate myself! a
11. msunnerstood - Im All In!
12. KimR-First challenge, I'll give it a go. Be half nice!
13. ShySoaper - I’m in gonna try
14. bookreader451 - I am always up for an unchallenge.
15. Adobehead- I just happen to have made some yesterday that fits this description. Since it is still uncut, I don't yet know if it's fit to show anyone.
16. shermluge- Going for it!! ohhh Great Jerseygirls in.. I'm in trouble.
17. Bari b - since I finally qualify, even for an unchallenge, I have to give it at least half a go!

1. dibbles - I have a couple of half&half-baked ideas!
2. szaza - I already have something in mind😉
3. amd - I "half" to do this [sorry!]
4. Jerseygirl- Hmmmmmm....it will come to me... :D
5. AliOop- As a Gemini, I heartily approve of this challenge. :) (I am not actually into horoscopes at all but definitely fit the alleged Gemini profile of being half this, half that).
6. Misschief - I already do a couple of half and half soaps so I'll have to think about changing it up somehow.
7. MOBJACK BAY - I had half-decided not to do the June challenge, but I have an idea that is not half-baked, so I guess I half to do it. (Sorry Dibbles and amd...)
8. ANSTARX - I didn't make it in time for the last challenge but I figured I should be able to this one! I have some ideas already...
9. MarnieSoapien - I have half a mind to give this a go!
10. Artemis - maybe I can motivate myself! a
11. msunnerstood - Im All In!
12. KimR-First challenge, I'll give it a go. Be half nice!
13. ShySoaper - I’m in gonna try
14. bookreader451 - I am always up for an unchallenge.
15. Adobehead- I just happen to have made some yesterday that fits this description. Since it is still uncut, I don't yet know if it's fit to show anyone.
16. shermluge- Going for it!! ohhh Great Jerseygirls in.. I'm in trouble.
17. Bari b - since I finally qualify, even for an unchallenge, I have to give it at least half a go!
18. sarahmarah - no better way to learn than to get out of my comfort zone! I’ll try it 😊

View attachment 46981
View attachment 46984
Nice swirls!

Latest posts

Back