SMF July Challenge - Clyde Slide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Earlene - I haven't done this one yet, so something new to learn.
2. Misschief - I have the next week off... I'm IN!
3. IrishLass - I've got some spare time, so I'm IN, too! (I'm excited- this will be my first challenge!)
4. TeresaT - excellent! My first one has a major oil slick, but I'm excited to do a second. Without the oil slick, though!!
5. BattleGnome - hopefully I can find the time, I've got a busy month
6. LisaAnne, fun!
7. Cindy2428 - I'm going to be fortunate enough to meet Clyde at SoapCon-I have to try this!
8. dibbles - Clyde Slide - yipee!
9. BlackDog - fun! Sonya that green color is fantastic - do you mind if I ask what it is?
10.nikkisessence - looking forward to trying
11. Arimara - I'd love to give this a try, though it would be poor timing on my part.
12. TheDragonGirl - This looks like fun, I hope I've understood how to do it right
13. CmZaha - I am thinking I will have time so I am in. Hopefully
14. SunWolf - Love Clyde...neat guy!
16. Guspuppy - love the Clyde Slide!
17. jules92207 - I've been doing the clyde slide and didn't even know it! Can't wait!

Sonya-m, Clyde doesn't always tilt his mold like you do in your video. Is that a requirement for the challenge? (Tilting the mold?)

Another question. You say it must be a loaf mold. Is a one-pound loaf acceptable? I am assuming when you say it must be a loaf mold you mean it cannot be an individual one-bar mold nor a slab mold, nor an embed mold, but a multiple-bar mold. Am I understanding correctly?

No, you don't have to tilt it was just something I saw in one of the videos so thought I'd give it a try

You can try the 1lb mould but I don't know if the soap will travel enough to get the feathering. But please try it and report back!

3. IrishLass - I've got some spare time, so I'm IN, too! (I'm excited- this will be my first challenge!)
4. TeresaT - excellent! My first one has a major oil slick, but I'm excited to do a second. Without the oil slick, though!!
6. LisaAnne, fun!
7. Cindy2428 - I'm going to be fortunate enough to meet Clyde at SoapCon-I have to try this!
9. BlackDog - fun! Sonya that green color is fantastic - do you mind if I ask what it is?
11. Arimara - I'd love to give this a try, though it would be poor timing on my part.
12. TheDragonGirl - This looks like fun, I hope I've understood how to do it right
17. jules92207 - I've been doing the clyde slide and didn't even know it! Can't wait!
18. Soapswirl - I've been meaning to try this technique for a while so this gives me a good excuse!

6. LisaAnne, fun!
18. Soapswirl - I've been meaning to try this technique for a while so this gives me a good excuse!
19. green soap - I heard I am getting another color, so it will be nice to try it out here. Never achieved an ITP swirl, this seems simpler.

First attempt is in the oven!

Mine, too! I went with a "split-complementary" color scheme. I used Peacock Blue and Clementine micas from Steph's Micas and More and Mango Tango mica from Nurture Soap. I should have added a bit more blue to it, though. I thought I had too much, but it looks like it might not have been enough once I added the batter to the colorant. Oh well. I'll see in a few days. I think I'm going to try it again tomorrow or the following day with pastels and a different pour into the pot. This is pretty cool. The possibilities are endless.

6. LisaAnne, fun!
19. green soap - I heard I am getting another color, so it will be nice to try it out here. Never achieved an ITP swirl, this seems simpler.
20. KristaY - I'm excited to give this one a go!

I'm curious, I absolutely HAVE to use a loaf mold for this challenge, right? It's not a problem if I do but I would probably have to leave my soaps vegetarian and unscented.

I'm curious, I absolutely HAVE to use a loaf mold for this challenge, right? It's not a problem if I do but I would probably have to leave my soaps vegetarian and unscented.

Yes, you do. In the Challenge Specific Rules it says you must use a loaf mold. But there's nothing wrong with veg and unscented!

Update: I got some feathering on attempt #1, but not as much as I would've liked. At any rate, the bars look neat. I'll hold onto my pics in case I don't have time to knock out a second round.

My first 2 loaves were made with full water and took so darn long to set up, I don't even want to touch them to take photographs yet, for fear I will ruin them. If I make another attempt before I leave on my roadtrip (that gives me 2 days) I'll do a higher lye concentration so I can unmold & cut sooner. Otherwise I will not be able to use them at all for the challenge. I like what I have so far, but I am sure I can do better.

My first 2 loaves were made with full water and took so darn long to set up, I don't even want to touch them to take photographs yet, for fear I will ruin them. If I make another attempt before I leave on my roadtrip (that gives me 2 days) I'll do a higher lye concentration so I can unmold & cut sooner. Otherwise I will not be able to use them at all for the challenge. I like what I have so far, but I am sure I can do better.

I've done full water then CPOP it before and that seemed to harden quicker than when I don't CPOP. Just keep an eye on it cos it will gel much faster with full water

Update: I got some feathering on attempt #1, but not as much as I would've liked. At any rate, the bars look neat. I'll hold onto my pics in case I don't have time to knock out a second round.

Looking forward to seeing it!!

OK, my bad. I looked at the Vibrant Soap videos again and mine looks more like the Black Raspberry Vanilla version than the Green Tea and Pear version. I'm happy with it, so I won't be posting a photo of it. I'm going to make another one using different colors and a different type of pour into the pot, but at least I know I'm on the right track. This is really a cool technique. The first video of Clyde's I watched, he did a slight ITP swirl, then his funnel pour on top of that and poured it into the mold. In addition to the ITP and funnel pour, he did a drop swirl into the bowl, too. I think that was the first Green Tea and Pear soap he did. I'm not sure, I've watched so many of them...

Latest posts

Back