SMF July Challenge - Clyde Slide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
Welcome to July’s Soap Challenge - Please read all the rules before participating

This month will be the Clyde Slide named after Clyde from Vibrant Soaps, it is a variation of an ITP swirl but you don't stir in the pot before pouring, you can find my video tutorial here - [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK6RypIS4AE[/ame]

The key feature I’m looking for in this challenge is the presence of feathering in your soap where the colours meet. Unfortunately my tutorial soap doesn’t show the best example of the feathering I mean so I will include some images of soaps that do.

Clyde also has lots of videos on his YouTube channel which demonstrate various ways of pouring the soap into the pot and also different ways of pouring into the mould.

I think this one really shows the feathering: https://youtu.be/T35qvpITaf4

I also like this one: https://youtu.be/PHu3X51NVck

If you search for Clyde Slide you will find lots of really great examples.

Rules

1.The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be PM'ed to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's when the voting begins.

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome!

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

SMF Challenge General Rules
· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
· Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
· The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
· Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The thread will open on July 19, 2016 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)
· After the closing date July 26, 2016 the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced on July 31, 2016. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.
· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.
· Newbie, Saponista, Lionproncess00, Sonya-m and GalaxyMLP reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for for voting.

Challenge Specific Rules
- You must use a loaf mould
- You must use at least two colours (plain soap batter can be classed as one of those colours)
- Your cut soap MUST have the feathering specific to this technique.
- Your entry must show at least one bar of your finished soap but feel free to show more - we all love seeing soap pictures after all!
- You are welcome to also tell us other information about your soap such as the recipe you used or what you have scented your bars with.

Any problems or difficulties feel free to send me (Sonya-m) a PM and I will do my best to help.

The green ones are from the tutorial and the pink & black soaps are from the Great Cakes Soapworks challenge last year.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

FullSizeRender 4.jpg

FullSizeRender 5.jpg

Last edited:

1. Earlene - I haven't done this one yet, so something new to learn.
2. Misschief - I have the next week off... I'm IN!
3. IrishLass - I've got some spare time, so I'm IN, too! (I'm excited- this will be my first challenge!)

3. IrishLass - I've got some spare time, so I'm IN, too! (I'm excited- this will be my first challenge!)
4. TeresaT - excellent! My first one has a major oil slick, but I'm excited to do a second. Without the oil slick, though!!

I'm out since my soaping stuff is still boxed up, but I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's entries. I LOVE doing Clyde Slides. Each bar comes out so differently. Plus they almost always look good - even if they are nothing like what was envisioned. That makes for a fantastic method in my book: low stress and high reward!

4. TeresaT - excellent! My first one has a major oil slick, but I'm excited to do a second. Without the oil slick, though!!
5. BattleGnome - hopefully I can find the time, I've got a busy month

6. LisaAnne, fun!

6. LisaAnne, fun!
7. Cindy2428 - I'm going to be fortunate enough to meet Clyde at SoapCon-I have to try this!

Last edited:
6. LisaAnne, fun!
7. Cindy2428 - I'm going to be fortunate enough to meet Clyde at SoapCon-I have to try this!
8. dibbles - Clyde Slide - yipee!

6. LisaAnne, fun!
9. BlackDog - fun! Sonya that green color is fantastic - do you mind if I ask what it is?

6. LisaAnne, fun!
9. BlackDog - fun! Sonya that green color is fantastic - do you mind if I ask what it is?
10.nikkisessence - looking forward to trying

6. LisaAnne, fun!
11. Arimara - I'd love to give this a try, though it would be poor timing on my part.

6. LisaAnne, fun!
11. Arimara - I'd love to give this a try, though it would be poor timing on my part.
12. This looks like fun, I hope I've understood how to do it right

6. LisaAnne, fun!
12. This looks like fun, I hope I've understood how to do it right
13. CmZaha - I am thinking I will have time so I am in. Hopefully

Just realised I didn't say in the video but after pouring into the pot, don't stir it like you would a regular ITP swirl.

Sonya-m, Clyde doesn't always tilt his mold like you do in your video. Is that a requirement for the challenge? (Tilting the mold?)

Another question. You say it must be a loaf mold. Is a one-pound loaf acceptable? I am assuming when you say it must be a loaf mold you mean it cannot be an individual one-bar mold nor a slab mold, nor an embed mold, but a multiple-bar mold. Am I understanding correctly?

I'm in!! Piffle, missed my number 13 slot though...oh well, 14 is good too!!

6. LisaAnne, fun!
12. TheDragonGirl - This looks like fun, I hope I've understood how to do it right
14. SunWolf - Love Clyde...neat guy!

6. LisaAnne, fun!
12. TheDragonGirl - This looks like fun, I hope I've understood how to do it right
14. SunWolf - Love Clyde...neat guy!
16. Guspuppy - love the Clyde Slide!

Back