SMF January Challenge Black and White

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it too dibbles, it's certainly not a fail!

I am completely flabbergasted at the amazing talent out there on this challenge. I really love them all, but Carabou's Zebra completely blew me away. It's so clever how you partitioned it off to pour! kudos to you, it's beautiful!

Oh my gosh, Dibbles. That doesn't look like a fail at all! I really love the design you got even though it isn't what you wanted. It looks like cobblestones to me which is pretty neat!

I love it too dibbles, it's certainly not a fail!

Thanks, but to be honest those are the best 3 bars of the batch, and they really look worse up close and personal. I'd set the mold on a heating pad, which I think overheated the bottom, and most of the bars have ash on the black. But I do appreciate the pat on the back! They will be usable and smell good, so not a loss.

I almost bowed out due to lack of time, but today I threw my soap into a mould in a (hopefully) attractive pattern. It's on the heating pad now and we shall see :)

That's still a beautiful soap dibbles, even if it wasn't what you had in mind. Do you think it's possible to do a wall pour in a regular mould rather than a tall and skinny?

Yes, but the end pattern is different. I'm pretty certain this was made with that technique, although at least one of the pours is made down the center.

Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 6.03.47 PM.jpg

Yes, but the end pattern is different. I'm pretty certain this was made with that technique, although at least one of the pours is made down the center.

Newbie, I've seen that soap before - maybe on the browsing thread - and just love it. I think the wall pours with the outline effect are so stunning, and that is what I tried to do. Maybe I should try it in my regular loaf. And obviously use less of the black.

1. TheDragonGirl (this should be fun!)
2. Dixiedragon (houndstooth, y'all, my fellow Alabamians get it)
3. BlackDog (just finished my first one! Ice storm here today, so.....)
4. Seawolfe - woop woop!
5. MySoapyHeart (would love to do this, now that I am "old" enough to participate in challenges in here
6. Newbie- so many options, so many option. Preparing for many batches of classic B&W
7. dibbles - can't wait to see what people come up with!
8. Snappyllama - perfect soap challenge to start the new year... so many possibilities!
9. AMD - I've been told I'm a very black & white person
10. rainycityjen - all in
11. Sweetbubbletreat
12. Misschief (thinking, thinking... )
13. Judiraz- lots of ideas, but I think it's going to be a tough one!*
14. DeeAnna- She says the color has gotta be black, really black. Oh, dear, I've only gotten to gray so far ...
15. KCHaystack - Glad we do not have to compete against Saponista... Cause the soap from her video was amazing
16. Steve85569 - I'm in again! I still have people to give soap to...
17. jules92207 - my favorite soap colors!!! Can't flipping wait.*
18. luebella - there, you're IN!... you're welcome.*
19. CaraBou - ready to be skunked
20. PenelopeJane-Black isn't a colour is it? I hope not, cos I can't do colours.
21. McGraysoldtowngifts
22. traderbren- Back in black, I hit the sack, I've been too long I'm glad to be back
23. Sonya-m - wonder if I'll actually find the time to soap this month?!?
24. TBandCW - Just made my b & w yesterday! Is this a sign??
25. Songwind - I'm in.
26. GalaxyMLP- I'm gonna make time
27. WildcraftGarden - Yay! First challenge. ☺
28. Seven - i think this one i can do ��
29. Soapswirl - just made my first attempt, how I love cleaning up black oxide....
30. Deedles - I think I can...I think I can!
31. commoncenz - The perfect way to get my soaping mojo back and return to the forum after dealing with many issues at home last month
32. mintle - I am in!!
33. Mrs Spaceship - I can do this! (I think)
34. Lionprincess00- I'm in!
35. KristaY - Perfect for getting my soapy groove back on!
36. JuneP - Time for me to stop grieving for a bit, and make some soap. Sounds like a good one to try with my Black Raspberry F.O.
37. jade-15 -
38. Rowan - Just to prevent further soap addict withdrawal symptoms (SAWS!!) First time soaping for a few months!
39. topofmurrayhill - Fashionably late
40. QueenBeeSoap - Better late than never.
41. SunWolf - A reason to get the soaping Mojo re-engaged...
42. doriettefarm - I'm in if it's not too late to join the party
43. spice - This will be fun!

Glad you liked it CaraBou. Personally I don't think it holds a candle to your zebra or newbie's Jack . . . both of you knocked it outta the park in terms of creativity! Now that I look back at the other entries I was hoping mine would have more movement like QueenBeeSoap's wall pour. Mine just turned out kinda blobby without any swoops or shimmys to be found. The 2 bars on the left (or bottom if you rotate the pic counterclockwise) sorta look like some type of chinese letter but even that's a stretch :???:

Glad you liked it CaraBou. Personally I don't think it holds a candle to your zebra or newbie's Jack . . . both of you knocked it outta the park in terms of creativity! Now that I look back at the other entries I was hoping mine would have more movement like QueenBeeSoap's wall pour. Mine just turned out kinda blobby without any swoops or shimmys to be found. The 2 bars on the left (or bottom if you rotate the pic counterclockwise) sorta look like some type of chinese letter but even that's a stretch :???:

It might not have been what you were aiming for but it's a pretty cool design. I think it looks great!

I love everyone's submissions and attempts as well! It's so nice to be a part of these challenges. The encouragement, the new soapers broadening out, the regulars on here taking part, all of it is so refreshing and encouraging. I hope everyone who can will continue to participate and submit. Even if it they arent the best soaps to you, you are building this, sustaining this, and growing us here (not to mention the rest of us see beauty whereas you may be your own worst critic). Each of you are growing your technique, our sense of community at smf, and growing our experience. Well done everyone!

I've just been going through and adding all the entries so far onto the surveymonkey survey for this month. It has really brought home how many entries we have had already and there are still a couple more days to go! Thank you so much everyone, without you joining in we wouldn't be able to host these challenges. I think everything lionprincess said sums it up nicely and far more eloquently than I can! We love to see all your tries and it's great to see the newer soapers develop through the challenges. I also love the community atmosphere that the challenges bring.

Back