SMF January Challenge Black and White

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, people are really coming through in this challenge. I don't even know where to start in giving kudos because there are so many good ones in this thread let alone the entry thread. It feels like I would leave someone out, which would just be wrong. But I will say to Steve, I don't think you should rebatch those - they're far too pretty!

Here's an attempt I made for the challenge that I didn't enter. I was trying to go for leopard print, but it didn't exactly go as planned as my soap batter got way too thick. :(

I'm really enjoying looking at all of the other black and white soaps that have been posted. Everyone has done such an amazing job!

20160117_125057.jpg

I cut my soft batches this evening and I won't enter either of them The black isn't very black..more dark grey. Here's my favorite of those. Remember the "loving Arms" pendants. They remind me of those. On the left is an adult couple, in the center a parent w/ a child, and on the right a couple with a child......at least that's what I see :)

I love these Judiraz!

Cool QueenBee, we were thinking the same way :)

Here's the second zebra I tried to make. It is trickier than my first one but I know it is doable. Not necessarily by me, but by someone. I hope someone will try it. Yes, that's a DARE (I know some of you can't resist)!

inspire 2.jpg

beneath the mold.jpg

conehead.jpg

conehead divided.jpg

IMG_1307.JPG

Last edited:
AHHHHHH! That first one! LOVE LOVE. What was your pour? They are all good but that first one is extremely cool.
Simple swirl with a high lard recipe ( for the white). Laid in a layer of white then the black topped out with white and spin.
By the time I did that one I had learned to start the black and wait wait wait for trace before I started the white side. If the bottoms hadn't cracked I would have entered it. I learned that the two different soaps did not behave the same. The AC portion was always slower to trace and set.May have used a bit more AC than I needed to.:think:

So you made a full loaf mold and then spun it and cut on the vertical? How did you keep soap from slopping over the sides?

My AC always traces much faster than my other colors (except maybe brown). How do you prepare your AC? How fast it goes makes me crazy although it is better if soaked in water or oil for a good long time before soaping.

I feel exactly like Carabou. I want to say something wonderful about each entry but I'm afraid I'd accidently miss someone. I find it so fascinating how many different ideas and designs people have entered using just black and white. So huge kudos to all entries and I can't wait to see what others post!

Here are a couple of my flubs. The first one I call "Magic Eye" since it's so chaotic looking, lol. It gives me eye strain if I stare at it too long! I poured too thin with too many layers so they got muddled and blurred. With all that muddling and blurring, the black turned gray and then the FO discolored the white. I used Black Pepper Bergamot from Indigo. Smells wonderful and slows trace to a crawl, but discolors light yellow. I'll know better next time.

While I was waiting for the batter to thicken so I could drag my skewer, I poured the hearts. The picture doesn't show the color well but the outside turned a lovely peach color. I'm guessing it's a combo of the FO and the brand new red mold. Grrrr.... But since I'm gifting them to my sister (who's birthday is on Valentine's Day) she'll love them. She'll never know they were supposed to be white, black and red instead of cream, gray and peach!

Magic Eye.jpg

Hearts 01.jpg

While I was waiting for the batter to thicken so I could drag my skewer, I poured the hearts. The picture doesn't show the color well but the outside turned a lovely peach color. I'm guessing it's a combo of the FO and the brand new red mold. Grrrr.... But since I'm gifting them to my sister (who's birthday is on Valentine's Day) she'll love them. She'll never know they were supposed to be white, black and red instead of cream, gray and peach!

Love those hearts!

I just got that heart mold too! Those are beautiful.

Thanks jules, but certainly not my best work since I did it on the fly, lol. I'll be interested to hear if your bars discolor. I'm going to do another batch with a non-discoloring FO to see what happens. All of the darkest peach color is on the bottom and sides of the bars so I'm a little concerned it might always morph color. Or I can just stick with vanilla scents or red bars!

So you made a full loaf mold and then spun it and cut on the vertical? How did you keep soap from slopping over the sides?

My AC always traces much faster than my other colors (except maybe brown). How do you prepare your AC? How fast it goes makes me crazy although it is better if soaked in water or oil for a good long time before soaping.

Spin with a spoon type swirl. This is cut standard loaf. The black started out in the center, swirl action mostly to the side and up.

DSCF1676.jpg

DSCF1681.jpg

Some of the best rejects I've ever seen! I'm not gonna get mine done in time. I spent the weekend in and out of the ER with this chest crud and just don't have the energy to get it done. I don't know though, soaping under the influence of these drugs may turn out spectacular!

Thanks jules, but certainly not my best work since I did it on the fly, lol. I'll be interested to hear if your bars discolor. I'm going to do another batch with a non-discoloring FO to see what happens. All of the darkest peach color is on the bottom and sides of the bars so I'm a little concerned it might always morph color. Or I can just stick with vanilla scents or red bars!

So far I've only made red hearts, but I'll test it this weekend to see if I get any discolor.

My first and only attempt is in the oven. Hopefully it will turn out decent enough to enter but if not I promise to post fail pics on this thread. Also wanted to give a heads up about the FO I decided to use. Yes, it was a new and untested FO but luckily it played REALLY nice. I'll have to test it with other recipes but I think it may fall into the 'slows trace' category. It's a Lush dupe called Hellstone (from Fragrancebuddy) so I thought it would be perfect for a black/white soap.

1. TheDragonGirl (this should be fun!)
2. Dixiedragon (houndstooth, y'all, my fellow Alabamians get it)
3. BlackDog (just finished my first one! Ice storm here today, so.....)
4. Seawolfe - woop woop!
5. MySoapyHeart (would love to do this, now that I am "old" enough to participate in challenges in here
6. Newbie- so many options, so many option. Preparing for many batches of classic B&W
7. dibbles - can't wait to see what people come up with!
8. Snappyllama - perfect soap challenge to start the new year... so many possibilities!
9. AMD - I've been told I'm a very black & white person
10. rainycityjen - all in
11. Sweetbubbletreat
12. Misschief (thinking, thinking... )
13. Judiraz- lots of ideas, but I think it's going to be a tough one!*
14. DeeAnna- She says the color has gotta be black, really black. Oh, dear, I've only gotten to gray so far ...
15. KCHaystack - Glad we do not have to compete against Saponista... Cause the soap from her video was amazing
16. Steve85569 - I'm in again! I still have people to give soap to...
17. jules92207 - my favorite soap colors!!! Can't flipping wait.*
18. luebella - there, you're IN!... you're welcome.*
19. CaraBou - ready to be skunked
20. PenelopeJane-Black isn't a colour is it? I hope not, cos I can't do colours.
21. McGraysoldtowngifts
22. traderbren- Back in black, I hit the sack, I've been too long I'm glad to be back
23. Sonya-m - wonder if I'll actually find the time to soap this month?!?
24. TBandCW - Just made my b & w yesterday! Is this a sign??
25. Songwind - I'm in.
26. GalaxyMLP- I'm gonna make time
27. WildcraftGarden - Yay! First challenge. ☺
28. Seven - i think this one i can do ��
29. Soapswirl - just made my first attempt, how I love cleaning up black oxide....
30. Deedles - I think I can...I think I can!
31. commoncenz - The perfect way to get my soaping mojo back and return to the forum after dealing with many issues at home last month
32. mintle - I am in!!
33. Mrs Spaceship - I can do this! (I think)
34. Lionprincess00- I'm in!
35. KristaY - Perfect for getting my soapy groove back on!
36. JuneP - Time for me to stop grieving for a bit, and make some soap. Sounds like a good one to try with my Black Raspberry F.O.
37. jade-15 -
38. Rowan - Just to prevent further soap addict withdrawal symptoms (SAWS!!) First time soaping for a few months!
39. topofmurrayhill - Fashionably late
40. QueenBeeSoap - Better late than never.
41. SunWolf - A reason to get the soaping Mojo re-engaged...
42. doriettefarm - I'm in if it's not too late to join the party

Back