SMF January Challenge Black and White

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Entry thread goes up tomorrow so time to post some non-entries! I hope everyone will post theirs as well because I am really interested in what people came up with for this challenge, whether it worked out or not.

I got such a kick out of the one that produced the pictures on the sides and it was one of the most fun times I've had cutting a soap. The crystal ball-gazing skull just cracked me up!

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 7.18.37 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 7.20.49 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 7.20.37 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 7.20.28 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 7.20.07 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 7.19.42 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 7.19.56 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 7.19.09 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 7.18.59 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 7.18.50 PM.jpg

I'm in, been needing to get back to soaping...

1. TheDragonGirl (this should be fun!)
2. Dixiedragon (houndstooth, y'all, my fellow Alabamians get it)
3. BlackDog (just finished my first one! Ice storm here today, so.....)
4. Seawolfe - woop woop!
5. MySoapyHeart (would love to do this, now that I am "old" enough to participate in challenges in here
6. Newbie- so many options, so many option. Preparing for many batches of classic B&W
7. dibbles - can't wait to see what people come up with!
8. Snappyllama - perfect soap challenge to start the new year... so many possibilities!
9. AMD - I've been told I'm a very black & white person
10. rainycityjen - all in
11. Sweetbubbletreat
12. Misschief (thinking, thinking... )
13. Judiraz- lots of ideas, but I think it's going to be a tough one!*
14. DeeAnna- She says the color has gotta be black, really black. Oh, dear, I've only gotten to gray so far ...
15. KCHaystack - Glad we do not have to compete against Saponista... Cause the soap from her video was amazing
16. Steve85569 - I'm in again! I still have people to give soap to...
17. jules92207 - my favorite soap colors!!! Can't flipping wait.*
18. luebella - there, you're IN!... you're welcome.*
19. CaraBou - ready to be skunked
20. PenelopeJane-Black isn't a colour is it? I hope not, cos I can't do colours.
21. McGraysoldtowngifts
22. traderbren- Back in black, I hit the sack, I've been too long I'm glad to be back
23. Sonya-m - wonder if I'll actually find the time to soap this month?!?
24. TBandCW - Just made my b & w yesterday! Is this a sign??
25. Songwind - I'm in.
26. GalaxyMLP- I'm gonna make time
27. WildcraftGarden - Yay! First challenge. ☺
28. Seven - i think this one i can do ��
29. Soapswirl - just made my first attempt, how I love cleaning up black oxide....
30. Deedles - I think I can...I think I can!
31. commoncenz - The perfect way to get my soaping mojo back and return to the forum after dealing with many issues at home last month
32. mintle - I am in!!
33. Mrs Spaceship - I can do this! (I think)
34. Lionprincess00- I'm in!
35. KristaY - Perfect for getting my soapy groove back on!
36. JuneP - Time for me to stop grieving for a bit, and make some soap. Sounds like a good one to try with my Black Raspberry F.O.
37. jade-15 -
38. Rowan - Just to prevent further soap addict withdrawal symptoms (SAWS!!) First time soaping for a few months!
39. topofmurrayhill - Fashionably late
40. QueenBeeSoap - Better late than never.
icon_smile.gif

41. SunWolf - A reason to get the soaping Mojo re-engaged...:idea: :thumbup:

Gorgeous soaps (as always) Newbie. I really like the first one especially. You're always very imaginative with your techniques - I can't begin to imagine how you get some of the results you have.

THanks, Sonya. I can't wait to see yours! Happy to share. The first one was made with a black and white taiwan swirl with black poured on top but cut vertically, not the usual horizontal cut.

I have just posted the challenge entry thread, but I'm on my phone so I will put a link to it here and at the beginning of the thread as soon as I get home.

The challenge entry put my first pic correctly and is flipping my others upside down. I saved my others in my phone upside down in an attempt to trick the upload tool, and they remained yup, upside down. One pic is probably enough, but as some know I only use my cell and pics can be difficult to see on a phone. That's why I try to post a couple usually. I wonder why it flips some pics around... I'm not the first to have this technical issue. Anyway, looking forward to all the soapy pics!!!

Edit, loaded into photobucket instead of trying a direct link, and it worked out correctly! Yea!

Last edited:
I'll get photos for both threads when Jan gets back with the good camera later today.

I have no delusions of even placing in this challenge but I have had a lot of fun learning new ways to pattern and color.

I also learned that 5x orange will dissolve a styrofoam cup even when in AC and OO. Smelled nice though.:cry:

I finally made my second attempt this morning. The black went a little gray, so I'm hoping it morphs back to black. I'm also concerned about my black and white mingling into gray in parts.

This was a much harder challenge than I originally thought.

Mines no where near as beautiful as the others already uploaded, but my more ambitious soap pattern failed on me ):

Don`t worry, we ALL feel that way whenever we see everyone elses soaps! We can`t see our soaps without judging ourselves (everyone is so much better at this than me)

But the thing is, someone else seing your soap will think the same thing! *sigh* TheDragonGirl made such awesome soap, hope I can be just as creative as she is...

Difference in soaps (or people/animals/food/colors) is what makes life interesting.

Now march over there and sniff your soap, and say you love it for the soap it is. I`ll bet it is absolutely smashing.

Don`t worry, we ALL feel that way whenever we see everyone elses soaps! We can`t see our soaps without judging ourselves (everyone is so much better at this than me)

But the thing is, someone else seing your soap will think the same thing! *sigh* TheDragonGirl made such awesome soap, hope I can be just as creative as she is...

Difference in soaps (or people/animals/food/colors) is what makes life interesting.

Now march over there and sniff your soap, and say you love it for the soap it is. I`ll bet it is absolutely smashing.

oh my gosh, you're really really sweet, thank you.

While the loaf is still chilling in the oven, I was able to pop this out of the mold. I used a full tsp ppo of black mica, but it came out gray at least on my little experiment bar.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1452971819.434208.jpg

Newbie - I love, love, love your Jack soap!!!

Lionprincess - that is a stunning hanger swirl!!!

Loving the entries so far!!

Last edited:
Thanks, Sonya. Well, you sure can knock a drop swirl out of the ball park!

I love the variety of soaps. I can't wait to see everyone else's. This is a blast!

Latest posts

Back