SMF January Challenge Black and White

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well

I started out tonight playing with a third batch of soap just in case the first one turns color and wouldn't you know I got introduced to MR Ricing I had to look it up because I had never seen anything like it. My batter went from nice and creamy to a Grits in the bowl in like 20 seconds flat. Oh well i guess It had to happen eventually.

Back to the drawing board I have to pick up some more lard and some Lye before I can make any more soap :)

Todd

It was so exciting to soap again. I had a really bad case of S.A.W.S (soap addict withdrawal symptoms). I decided to trial 2 things at a time, the challenge and 40% lye concentration (for the first time, because I really love challenges!).

It wasn't a serious trial attempt, just an excuse to soap, so I used a normal recipe, which comes out relatively white with TD. I was then going to trial a lard recipe. I had a really odd result in that as soon as I added the lye, the batter darkened quite a bit to dark yellow which increased as I stick blended. It was similar to adding milk which has scorched but not as dark! My eventual soap ended up cream and black. The cream being a fair bit darker than normal. Is this something to do with 40% lye concentration as I've not had this before with lower concentrations, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I used OO (very light coloured), PO, CO, AO, CB, Castor Oil, citric acid (added to the water before the lye), Lavender and Peppermint EO's. Temp approx 105F of lye and water. No other additives.

SAWS is temporarily under control and my husband is very happy that I'm no longer irritable!

Well

I started out tonight playing with a third batch of soap just in case the first one turns color and wouldn't you know I got introduced to MR Ricing I had to look it up because I had never seen anything like it. My batter went from nice and creamy to a Grits in the bowl in like 20 seconds flat. Oh well i guess It had to happen eventually.

Back to the drawing board I have to pick up some more lard and some Lye before I can make any more soap :)

Todd

Bad luck with the ricing. I've only had that once with a floral FO and boy did it go fast! What a great excuse to soap more though!

I made a second attempt - and what is going on with the pink color? This is a fragrance blend of Mad Oils Velvet Peppercorn and Star Anise EO. The recipe was pretty simple - lard, CO, OO, 2% castor. The peppercorn isn't supposed to discolor, and I have used anise before with no discoloration. As well, the pink is just around the edges and doesn't appear to be spreading. Not a reaction to silicone since the top is pink too. Any ideas?

Oh dibbles, what a great soap. No idea about the pink but wow, great execution.

I know when I am SB'ing and using low water, the batter does look more yellow because there isn't as much water emulsifying with the oils and my recipe is tallow, OO, CO, and castor. SInce you use Palm oil and cocoa butter, your batter would probably look pretty yellow. In the end, my low water soaps don't look darker to me than high water, so I would think yours will look about as you expect it would uncolored.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words about my 'pink edged' soap. I am pretty happy with it in that the design is what I intended, which usually doesn't happen for me. I wish the line between the black and white were straighter, not sure if my lame wrist had anything to do with how I removed the divider and caused it to slope.

I'm still inclined to think there was something about the FO that caused the discoloration, but am stumped as to why most of the white stayed white, and having been exposed to air for over a day hasn't changed it. When I saw the pink color all over the outside when I took it out of the mold, I really expected to see pink throughout. Ah, the sweet mysteries of soap!

I hope to get one more crack at this. Fingers crossed.

Dibbles, your soap design is great! I had one FO that discolored purple that only showed up around the edges for the first week or so before it spread to the rest of the bar. If that happens here, the pink and black will look really nice!

I'm still waiting on my mica order, but last night I had a soap dream with a black and white design. I have an idea, now I just need to figure out how to get it.

Well, my main attempt doesn't look too good - my stripes were too fat and sloppy to get the design I wanted. But the soap I put in the individual molds turned out kind of neat. I just squirted a bit into the bottom and swirled it around with my finger, then poured a different color.

IMG_1662.JPG

Well, my main attempt doesn't look too good - my stripes were too fat and sloppy to get the design I wanted. But the soap I put in the individual molds turned out kind of neat. I just squirted a bit into the bottom and swirled it around with my finger, then poured a different color.

Love your soaps! They actually remind me of a Norwegian way of doing decorative painting on wood. It uses a sort of flower ornamental style, and is called rosemaling. If you haven`t seen that before, just google "rosemaling", and then you`ll see what I mean. Perhaps it could be a soapy inspiration for you since you allready have molds that suits this type of colorfull and ornamental art:)

Love your soap too Dixiedragon, especially the white one with black. The swirl is really lovely.

Thanks Newbie for the reassurance regarding the 40 lye concentration. I really hope I get the chance to have another go, work and kids permitting. These challenges have been simply brilliant, thank you all.

Last edited:

1. TheDragonGirl (this should be fun!)
2. Dixiedragon (houndstooth, y'all, my fellow Alabamians get it)
3. BlackDog (just finished my first one! Ice storm here today, so.....)
4. Seawolfe - woop woop!
5. MySoapyHeart (would love to do this, now that I am "old" enough to participate in challenges in here
6. Newbie- so many options, so many option. Preparing for many batches of classic B&W
7. dibbles - can't wait to see what people come up with!
8. Snappyllama - perfect soap challenge to start the new year... so many possibilities!
9. AMD - I've been told I'm a very black & white person
10. rainycityjen - all in
11. Sweetbubbletreat
12. Misschief (thinking, thinking... )
13. Judiraz- lots of ideas, but I think it's going to be a tough one!*
14. DeeAnna- She says the color has gotta be black, really black. Oh, dear, I've only gotten to gray so far ...
15. KCHaystack - Glad we do not have to compete against Saponista... Cause the soap from her video was amazing
16. Steve85569 - I'm in again! I still have people to give soap to...
17. jules92207 - my favorite soap colors!!! Can't flipping wait.*
18. luebella - there, you're IN!... you're welcome.*
19. CaraBou - ready to be skunked
20. PenelopeJane-Black isn't a colour is it? I hope not, cos I can't do colours.
21. McGraysoldtowngifts
22. traderbren- Back in black, I hit the sack, I've been too long I'm glad to be back
23. Sonya-m - wonder if I'll actually find the time to soap this month?!?
24. TBandCW - Just made my b & w yesterday! Is this a sign??
25. Songwind - I'm in.
26. GalaxyMLP- I'm gonna make time
27. WildcraftGarden - Yay! First challenge. ☺
28. Seven - i think this one i can do ��
29. Soapswirl - just made my first attempt, how I love cleaning up black oxide....
30. Deedles - I think I can...I think I can!
31. commoncenz - The perfect way to get my soaping mojo back and return to the forum after dealing with many issues at home last month
32. mintle - I am in!!
33. Mrs Spaceship - I can do this! (I think)
34. Lionprincess00- I'm in!
35. KristaY - Perfect for getting my soapy groove back on!
36. JuneP - Time for me to stop grieving for a bit, and make some soap. Sounds like a good one to try with my Black Raspberry F.O.
37. jade-15 -
38. Rowan - Just to prevent further soap addict withdrawal symptoms (SAWS!!) First time soaping for a few months!
39. topofmurrayhill - Fashionably late

I finally got a soap I'm happy with! My first attempt bombed, second was an experiment that looks a little weird, third time I'm happy. I'd like to show my first two, but #1 is plain awful and #2 is a swirl opposite my submission soap, so i am hesitant to show it before the submission thread opens and i enter my third try. Maybe I'll show my second try after the submissions open, or maybe post it in 2016 soaps thread.
How's everyone else going at this point?

I got my AC yesterday. Even though the jar was sealed, there was still dust on everything in the box...what a mess! Makes me really glad I didn't try to grind any myself. Got alot going on the next couple of day but hope to get a first attempt done by this weekend.

I did one, figured out what I did wrong, but just waiting for timing to get a second attempt in. Hopefully will start Saturday night when I get back from retreat. (or Sunday afternoon. I'm fighting off round three of the cold that keeps coming back, and retreat might wipe me out.) I was very happy with the colors I got on the first attempt, so I will be keeping the same qty's, but maybe add a pinch of blue to the black to push it out of the gray area. In my head, this works... reality might have a different plan.

My mica order came today, but I am not feeling too well. I hope to make my second attempt tomorrow while the adopt-o-pooch is at the groomers for the first time.

Late to the party as usual, but...

1. TheDragonGirl (this should be fun!)
2. Dixiedragon (houndstooth, y'all, my fellow Alabamians get it)
3. BlackDog (just finished my first one! Ice storm here today, so.....)
4. Seawolfe - woop woop!
5. MySoapyHeart (would love to do this, now that I am "old" enough to participate in challenges in here
6. Newbie- so many options, so many option. Preparing for many batches of classic B&W
7. dibbles - can't wait to see what people come up with!
8. Snappyllama - perfect soap challenge to start the new year... so many possibilities!
9. AMD - I've been told I'm a very black & white person
10. rainycityjen - all in
11. Sweetbubbletreat
12. Misschief (thinking, thinking... )
13. Judiraz- lots of ideas, but I think it's going to be a tough one!*
14. DeeAnna- She says the color has gotta be black, really black. Oh, dear, I've only gotten to gray so far ...
15. KCHaystack - Glad we do not have to compete against Saponista... Cause the soap from her video was amazing
16. Steve85569 - I'm in again! I still have people to give soap to...
17. jules92207 - my favorite soap colors!!! Can't flipping wait.*
18. luebella - there, you're IN!... you're welcome.*
19. CaraBou - ready to be skunked
20. PenelopeJane-Black isn't a colour is it? I hope not, cos I can't do colours.
21. McGraysoldtowngifts
22. traderbren- Back in black, I hit the sack, I've been too long I'm glad to be back
23. Sonya-m - wonder if I'll actually find the time to soap this month?!?
24. TBandCW - Just made my b & w yesterday! Is this a sign??
25. Songwind - I'm in.
26. GalaxyMLP- I'm gonna make time
27. WildcraftGarden - Yay! First challenge. ☺
28. Seven - i think this one i can do ��
29. Soapswirl - just made my first attempt, how I love cleaning up black oxide....
30. Deedles - I think I can...I think I can!
31. commoncenz - The perfect way to get my soaping mojo back and return to the forum after dealing with many issues at home last month
32. mintle - I am in!!
33. Mrs Spaceship - I can do this! (I think)
34. Lionprincess00- I'm in!
35. KristaY - Perfect for getting my soapy groove back on!
36. JuneP - Time for me to stop grieving for a bit, and make some soap. Sounds like a good one to try with my Black Raspberry F.O.
37. jade-15 -
38. Rowan - Just to prevent further soap addict withdrawal symptoms (SAWS!!) First time soaping for a few months!
39. topofmurrayhill - Fashionably late
40. QueenBeeSoap - Better late than never. :)

I made two batches of soap for the challenge a few days ago, and I'm hoping one of the two will turn out okay so that I can enter it. The batter for one of them ended up getting way too thick and has big air pockets in it. I'll post the soap that doesn't make the cut as soon as I can get some pictures.

I used Shea & Coconut FO from WSP for both of them which I got as a sample but haven't used before, since none of the other FO's I had on hand seemed to go with the black & white colour scheme. I was worried about it discolouring the soap since the bottle says "Contains vanilla," but their website says "Vanilla Content: 0.00%." The reviews seemed mixed as to whether or not it discolours CP soap. Hmm. Well, I guess I'll see! Sure, I *could* just make unscented soap for the challenges, but where's the fun (and challenge) in that? At least I was happy with the appearance of the black and white I got using black oxide and TD as of when the soaps were cut.

Argh. I planned my challenge batch and drove 40 minutes to the workshop only to find I don't have enough NaOH left to make it. I have more on order, but it's from a slow supplier. I placed another NaOH order tonight with The Lye Guy who is in my state, so hopefully he ships right away and it doesn't take long. Maybe I'll get my entry in under the wire.

Back