SMF January Challenge Black and White

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to give this a go! I love black and white soaps. Just to clarify, only the black and white are allowed? No additional colors, right?
Thanks newbie for your video!

Not sure if this is helpful to anyone or not, but the bit about SB'ing only to emulsion starts at about 1:30 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CytRNXh7-Xk

Very helpfull indeed, thank you :) Watched the whole thing. I have managed to get a really good feel for the subtle difference now, between SB just a hair to much, and go into medium trace instead of thin trace. But as you say, it takes some tries to get the hang of it, and understand what you are looking for and then STOP!
It was fun to see a pro at work on this, and with a real close-up on the process too.

Yes that's correct cactuslily. Just black and white only. If you would like to join in then just copy and paste the sign up list and add your name to the bottom :)

These challenges have finally made it clear to me why I should know how to masterbatch lye and fats and why I need to make itty bitty 1 lb / 0.5 kg batches. Never thought I'd be saying this..... Thanks all for sharing your trials and tribulations. I know now I'm not alone!!!!! :)

Second attempt is in the mold now I am hoping this will be the one :)

Recipe

80% lard
15% coconut oil
5% caster oil
Split coconut milk and lye water mix.

Very white batter :)

Look to me like that much lard should get you a real WHITE if the coconut milk doesn't decide to do something naughty. I was nervous about any kind of milk for this challenge. That's real close to what I use for "baby soap" ( not really for babies since they don't need soap yet).

Stacyspy ~ that looks plenty black to me ~ and would have made a great entry! But that's the way it seems to go, doesn't it. It's so beautiful! Hey, did you hurt your arm too?

newb and DD ~ agreed, the one pounders are essential for these challenges. The Crafters Choice 1504 has really saved my wallet and supplies, but a comparable slab ~ and tall skinny ~ would really come in handy. We should collaborate on developing new molds!

My thoughts on stripes: A bit of trace is actually helpful. Not sure I am characterizing this right, but the trace creates cohesion within a color/pour, and it also helps push adjacent soap around without co-mingling -- which makes stripes. I'm no expert by any means. But I did get lucky with the soap I intend to enter, which is striped. I feel the stripes laid down best when they were at at the far end of a light trace and the close end of medium. Too little and the soap diffuses (i.e., GRAY) ; too much and it's blobby with no nimbleness. What I don't know is how to keep it at that trace without it getting thicker. Hand stirring helps, and so can a little water added to thin it down, but ultimately it seems to go where you don't want it to. Any tips to hold it in place would be appreciated!

Nice challenge! I signed up for the december one but work got crazy and I didn't make a single soap :(
So I'll probably skip this one too.

Good luck everyone!

Look to me like that much lard should get you a real WHITE if the coconut milk doesn't decide to do something naughty. I was nervous about any kind of milk for this challenge. That's real close to what I use for "baby soap" ( not really for babies since they don't need soap yet).

This attempt is a success I have my entry ready to go :)

The Milk was a great addition no issues so far the Loaf was hard as a rock in 8 hours. I was able to cut it with out any issues. I love this mix of oils it felt nice and moist and the Black cherry fragrance is to die for. I cant wait to post the pictures.

Todd

I got myself a lye burn.... http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=57977
Thank you. I like the way it came out, but it's morphing pretty quickly to purple instead of white...sigh

Stacyspy ~ that looks plenty black to me ~ and would have made a great entry! But that's the way it seems to go, doesn't it. It's so beautiful! Hey, did you hurt your arm too?

newb and DD ~ agreed, the one pounders are essential for these challenges. The Crafters Choice 1504 has really saved my wallet and supplies, but a comparable slab ~ and tall skinny ~ would really come in handy. We should collaborate on developing new molds!

My thoughts on stripes: A bit of trace is actually helpful. Not sure I am characterizing this right, but the trace creates cohesion within a color/pour, and it also helps push adjacent soap around without co-mingling -- which makes stripes. I'm no expert by any means. But I did get lucky with the soap I intend to enter, which is striped. I feel the stripes laid down best when they were at at the far end of a light trace and the close end of medium. Too little and the soap diffuses (i.e., GRAY) ; too much and it's blobby with no nimbleness. What I don't know is how to keep it at that trace without it getting thicker. Hand stirring helps, and so can a little water added to thin it down, but ultimately it seems to go where you don't want it to. Any tips to hold it in place would be appreciated!

I made a second attempt - and what is going on with the pink color? This is a fragrance blend of Mad Oils Velvet Peppercorn and Star Anise EO. The recipe was pretty simple - lard, CO, OO, 2% castor. The peppercorn isn't supposed to discolor, and I have used anise before with no discoloration. As well, the pink is just around the edges and doesn't appear to be spreading. Not a reaction to silicone since the top is pink too. Any ideas?

PepperAnise Morph.jpg

PepperAnise Morph (2).jpg

PepperAnise Morph (3).jpg

Dibbles I have no help to offer on your pink ring but have to tell you that is a beautiful soap!

Oh dibbles what a shame about the pink. That is such a stunning soap, really great job in the feather and fantastic design idea. I can't help with the pink problem I'm afraid. It's really strange that it's only on the outside.

Some FO's discolor pink, like Hunter's Moon and The Perfect Man but I don't know what ingredient/element causes that. I've always colored my Velvet Peppercorn soaps so don't know if that is it or not. I've noticed on some that go pinkish, the company doesn't list it but people will mention it in reviews. If you used the anise, I'd have to guess the Peppercorn is the culprit, but I'm hoping it fades with some time. I love that soap! I loved the other ones shown as well but have been racing around and forgot to post about them. I think they've all been fantastic!

I absolutely love the design of your soap dribbles, it's gorgeous!

I had a fragrance turn slightly pink on me but had the opposite problem. Mine became pinker in the centre and spread out lighter towards the edges over a few days. I thought I might have had a partial gel in the centre. They were cream when initially cut! Exposure to the air seemed to accelerate the colour change similar to my soaps with vanilla. I wonder if something similar is happening to yours?

1. TheDragonGirl (this should be fun!)

2. Dixiedragon (houndstooth, y'all, my fellow Alabamians get it)

3. BlackDog (just finished my first one! Ice storm here today, so.....)

4. Seawolfe - woop woop!

5. MySoapyHeart (would love to do this, now that I am "old" enough to participate in challenges in here

6. Newbie- so many options, so many option. Preparing for many batches of classic B&W

7. dibbles - can't wait to see what people come up with!

8. Snappyllama - perfect soap challenge to start the new year... so many possibilities!

9. AMD - I've been told I'm a very black & white person

10. rainycityjen - all in

11. Sweetbubbletreat

12. Misschief (thinking, thinking... )

13. Judiraz- lots of ideas, but I think it's going to be a tough one!*

14. DeeAnna- She says the color has gotta be black, really black. Oh, dear, I've only gotten to gray so far ...

15. KCHaystack - Glad we do not have to compete against Saponista... Cause the soap from her video was amazing

16. Steve85569 - I'm in again! I still have people to give soap to...

17. jules92207 - my favorite soap colors!!! Can't flipping wait.*

18. luebella - there, you're IN!... you're welcome.*

19. CaraBou - ready to be skunked

20. PenelopeJane-Black isn't a colour is it? I hope not, cos I can't do colours.

21. McGraysoldtowngifts

22. traderbren- Back in black, I hit the sack, I've been too long I'm glad to be back

23. Sonya-m - wonder if I'll actually find the time to soap this month?!?

24. TBandCW - Just made my b & w yesterday! Is this a sign??

25. Songwind - I'm in.

26. GalaxyMLP- I'm gonna make time

27. WildcraftGarden - Yay! First challenge. ☺

28. Seven - i think this one i can do ��

29. Soapswirl - just made my first attempt, how I love cleaning up black oxide....

30. Deedles - I think I can...I think I can!

31. commoncenz - The perfect way to get my soaping mojo back and return to the forum after dealing with many issues at home last month

32. mintle - I am in!!

33. Mrs Spaceship - I can do this! (I think)

34. Lionprincess00- I'm in!

35. KristaY - Perfect for getting my soapy groove back on!

36. JuneP - Time for me to stop grieving for a bit, and make some soap. Sounds like a good one to try with my Black Raspberry F.O.

37. jade-15 - :D

38. Rowan - Just to prevent further soap addict withdrawal symptoms (SAWS!!) First time soaping for a few months!

Last edited:
Back