SMF January Challenge Black and White

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, Sonya.... You are being over critical of your soap! Its lovely and a wonderful white! It makes my white look yellow by comparison... Sigh.

One person's fail is another's masterpiece for sure, and Sonya, yours is certainly a masterpiece in my eyes!

This is a great challenge for me since my husband is licorice scent obsessed, but my first batch didn't work out. I used a FO from The Candlemaker's Store which behaved quite nicely (although it's not as strong as he'd like), but I'm honestly not sure whether I just didn't use enough TD, had too much EVOO, or it discolored a bit, but I ended up with a rather yellow white. I used black oxide which gave me a great black, I just misjudged the amount and it overwhelms the soap.

My next batch will go in a completely different direction, I'm just not sure about what fragrance to use, since I don't want more licorice (don't tell the hubby though), or to order anything, and my beginners collection of FO's is somewhat limiting.

F7i2FOc.jpg

Edited for spelling

ah yes. You are just another example of being overly critical of your soap, Mrs. Spaceship! I quite like it and I don't think the black overwhelms it. The proportion is different on each bar but I find none of them too black. In fact, I like black bars with only a bit if white in them.

Mrs Spaceship, I too like your soap.

Keep the pictures coming everyone. I'm living vicariously through you all! The wrist is getting better - slowly. I bought a pair of large dish washing gloves with the hope of getting it on, then testing lifting a couple of my bowls filled with water to see if I am comfortable with lifting and pouring before I decide if I trust that I can do it with lye water and soap batter. At least it is my left wrist that is affected, and I am right handed. That's something - glass half full!

1. TheDragonGirl (this should be fun!)

2. Dixiedragon (houndstooth, y'all, my fellow Alabamians get it)

3. BlackDog (just finished my first one! Ice storm here today, so.....)

4. Seawolfe - woop woop!

5. MySoapyHeart (would love to do this, now that I am "old" enough to participate in challenges in here

6. Newbie- so many options, so many option. Preparing for many batches of classic B&W

7. dibbles - can't wait to see what people come up with!

8. Snappyllama - perfect soap challenge to start the new year... so many possibilities!

9. AMD - I've been told I'm a very black & white person

10. rainycityjen - all in

11. Sweetbubbletreat

12. Misschief (thinking, thinking... )

13. Judiraz- lots of ideas, but I think it's going to be a tough one!*

14. DeeAnna- She says the color has gotta be black, really black. Oh, dear, I've only gotten to gray so far ...

15. KCHaystack - Glad we do not have to compete against Saponista... Cause the soap from her video was amazing

16. Steve85569 - I'm in again! I still have people to give soap to...

17. jules92207 - my favorite soap colors!!! Can't flipping wait.*

18. luebella - there, you're IN!... you're welcome.*

19. CaraBou - ready to be skunked

20. PenelopeJane-Black isn't a colour is it? I hope not, cos I can't do colours.

21. McGraysoldtowngifts

22. traderbren- Back in black, I hit the sack, I've been too long I'm glad to be back

23. Sonya-m - wonder if I'll actually find the time to soap this month?!?

24. TBandCW - Just made my b & w yesterday! Is this a sign??

25. Songwind - I'm in.

26. GalaxyMLP- I'm gonna make time

27. WildcraftGarden - Yay! First challenge. ☺

28. Seven - i think this one i can do ��

29. Soapswirl - just made my first attempt, how I love cleaning up black oxide....

30. Deedles - I think I can...I think I can!

31. commoncenz - The perfect way to get my soaping mojo back and return to the forum after dealing with many issues at home last month

32. mintle - I am in!!

33. Mrs Spaceship - I can do this! (I think)

34. Lionprincess00- I'm in!

35. KristaY - Perfect for getting my soapy groove back on!

36. JuneP - Time for me to stop grieving for a bit, and make some soap. Sounds like a good one to try with my Black Raspberry F.O.

37. jade-15 - :D

I just finished my 2nd attempt and I'm pretty sure it's going to be another dud but not as bad as the first. This time my FO practically reversed trace and I had forever to color and pour. It's quite....um....busy. I'll probably call it Magic Eye or Where's Waldo, lol.

I'm having the hardest time getting a true black. Mostly it's ending up a dark gray. In my 1st batch I used AC mixed in water to a slurry consistency and this time I used black mica, also in water. I think the mica might be a bit darker but the batter is still wet so it's hard to judge. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks for the compliments everyone- kind of wishing I'd entered that one now

We definitely are our worst critic but I had a vision in my head and this wasn't it.

I like my 2nd attempt more but I don't think it has anything special about it.

It is hard to get true black and white. I added more AC than I thought I would need - got to where I thought it needed to be then added a little more to be sure.

For the white I used the light coloured olive oil along with lard, castor, shea and coconut. Also didn't add my usual sugar to my water cos that turns my water a straw colour.

Sonya, you are a perfect example of how we are our own worst critics. Your soap is gorgeous!

Sonya! Oh no, if that is your reject I don't know what I will do with my attempt. It is really gorgeous.

I definitely agree that we are our own worst critics, just as artists are, if we are that good - and you are.

Last edited:
I cut, like, 2 hours after pouring with no gel. That was insane! It's so hard already I could take out an intruder with one blow! Recipe wasnt vastly different, sure I used 40% lye, but that fo! It heated quite a bit (still no gel because of the low water ), but heated and hardened in 2 hours. Unfortunately it had air pockets because of the acceleration. It may be my entry because i really have to focus on April's challenge now.

I finally got around to snapping a picture of my failed attempt. My AC wasn't ground fine enough, and the lemongrass EO evidently made my soap a bit yellow. My design? It was a "oh crap, drop, plop, and swear". I'm going to say I was going for a "crack in the universe" design though, because it sounds better.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1452274850.746848.jpg
I just ordered some titanium dioxide and some black mica so I can try again before the end of the month.

I'm going to have to choose from the three tries I've done so far. My blacks are black and my whites are reasonably white so that's good, but I suspect the designs probably won't wow anyone. I think the last is my best given my level of skill, but I haven't decided on it for sure. Decisions!

Submissions for the challenge close on the 23rd, if I remember correctly. I won't be able to get pics submitted until the 21st or 22nd due to being on holiday. But I've got a reminder note on my calendar so I don't forget!

Well here's my failed 1st attempt.

Are. you. kidding. me. ???
These are awesome!
Seriously, if you consider these as fails I don`t want to think about what you other soaps look like.
Yup. I can just pack up and leave the contest now:crazy:

I decided to keep my Blob & White try. I don`t really like it, it didn`t end up the way I wanted:sick: (ya`ll know the feeling)
I think it got a tiiiny bit better with the approved extra that I asked about, but still not what I was going for.
Anyway, I decided to stop being so critical of my blob and just throw it in the mix anyway. Seing all these super experienced, swirling pros out there gives me serious soap-envy and dizzy spells.... No going back now:silent:

Oh hell. You made a cozy little black and white cabin in the woods scene. As a "non-entry". Gah!

And Madame Skullstra, the crystal ball reading skeleton. Really???

I love your non-entries. I can't wait to see your official entry.

I had little chunks of soap all over from trimming and I always have a stumpy piece from the end. I was just putzing around. I otherwise have a very boring life, which means I have time to poke little cones of soap with a skewer for a flipping hour or whatever. Trust me, the cabin scene is far more indicative of a dead social life than of particular skill, sadly.

I LOVE that skull thing that came out of the soap!!! Totally lucked out because clearly if I had cut it elsewhere, I would have gotten just the Incredible Blobby Snowman thing again.

Last edited:
Very cool soaps newbie. The cabin scene is adorable and reminds me greatly of the Alaskan winter. If you stood the bear bar next to it, someone's world would change from a peaceful quiet place to one of absolute terror. Add the skull bar on the other side and they would die of fear inside their tiny paradise.

Latest posts

Back