SMF January Challenge 2021 – Planet/Galaxy Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mixed up my lye solution this morning so it would be ready when I got home this afternoon. Maybe I can make some soap tonight, but it's more likely than not that I'm not going to get it done. Good luck everyone - what I'm seeing so far is impressive!

Note to self: Don't melt crayons in glycerin in the microwave... Ah-whoopsie-daisy! 😆

FullSizeRender (49).jpg

@bookreader451 Oh, I'm glad to talk to someone else with experience with this mica. I used 2 tsp for 500g of oil. Do you think that was enough?

As noted, I stirred it into the melted oils before adding lye. The color was a beautiful shimmery dark navy. It didn't look like I could add much more without ending up with speckles.

Unless you think I didn't use enough, I'm going to blame the FO, which I haven't tried before. Not a good choice to use an untried FO in a last-minute batch for a challenge entry. 😣😩

two words: Freezer trick. Put it in now, and take it out in about 30 minutes. You still have a little over two hours to get your pics posted in the entry thread. ;)
Inconveniently, I work and was only able to get to my soap around 5:30 CST. So, I had to work with soft cream cheese soap, with licorice string embeds and a M&P side. So I had to use a blade to cut it, which meant I had to try to smooth the bars afterwards. They're not bad, but I'm not cutting any more until everything is closer to the same hardness. Which might be this weekend.

@bookreader451 Oh, I'm glad to talk to someone else with experience with this mica. I used 2 tsp for 500g of oil. Do you think that was enough?

As noted, I stirred it into the melted oils before adding lye. The color was a beautiful shimmery dark navy. It didn't look like I could add much more without ending up with speckles.

Unless you think I didn't use enough, I'm going to blame the FO, which I haven't tried before. Not a good choice to use an untried FO in a last-minute batch for a challenge entry. 😣😩

I haven’t used it for a whole soap batch, and I have always mixed with OO then mixed it in with the batter.
I did use it with a discoloring FO and it still held as a dark blue. Do you gel?
I think you used enough, the only thing I can think of is not gelling or the FO.

I haven’t used it for a whole soap batch, and I have always mixed with OO then mixed it in with the batter.
I did use it with a discoloring FO and it still held as a dark blue. Do you gel?
I think you used enough, the only thing I can think of is not gelling or the FO.
Yes to gelling; it was 100% CO so it started gelling on its own before I even got it covered and insulated. So it sounds like the FO is the culprit. I'll try it again in another small batch without FO, where I add it to the batter, instead of the oils. Thanks!

1. dibbles - may the force be with us
2. Artemis - I hope I can squeeze it in this time!
3. AliOop - hmmm, what fragrance would go with this theme?
4. KimW
5. Zing - In a galaxy far, far away. Da-da-da Dah Daaah🎶
6. Mobjack Bay - OMG, I must be telepathic.
7. Bookreader451 - Should I try for 2 years? I have the galaxy mica collection. I want to see how it goes.
8. glendam - I have an idea and I hope it works for this theme!
9. GemstonePony - I may rue my ambitions, but here goes!
10. asmita - This will be interesting as I already have a batch of galaxy soaps so will need to think something different
11. SideDoorSoaps - I’ve been wanting to make another one of these!!
Reposted list again to remove one entrant not qualified to make sure I get everyone on the survey link and PM.

I will be sending out the voting link later tonight - sorry for the delay this month has been nuts and my husband decided to switch internet providers and of course that is happening this week, so I'm hanging out with my neighbors borrowing their WiFi to get this done!

Back