SMF January Challenge 2021 – Planet/Galaxy Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

amd

Welcome to the January 2021 SMF Soap Challenge. This month’s challenge is to create a Planet/Galaxy Themed Soap

PLEASE READ ALL RULES for the challenge.

SMF Challenge General Rules

1. To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and have been a SMF member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this).

2. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign-up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry. The sign-up list will be posted in this thread.

3. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be sent by private message (via SMF conversations) to registered participants ONLY, so please check your messages when the voting begins.

4. Please do not post photos of your entry until the entry thread is opened. Non-entry photos are always welcome and may be posted in this thread. The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts (other than your entry) where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members, and provide helpful hints you learned along the way.

5. Your soap must be made after the monthly challenge has been announced.

6. You are allowed to change your entry photo until the entry thread closes. If you decide you want another try after you post your entry, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

7. In the spirit of advancing our soap making skills, all members who sign-up for an SMF Challenge do so with the expectation that they will make every attempt to make a soap for the challenge. Writing about your experience in the challenge is encouraged. By doing so, each participant has a better knowledge of your process when voting. We do understand that sometimes things come up in our lives and throw our plans out of whack, however signing up with no intent to participate and only to vote is not in the spirit of the challenges and is not allowed.

8. Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced), but please do post your experiences in the main Challenge thread and be prepared to be encouraged to continue trying.

9. Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please keep your comments polite.

· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The entry thread will open on January 21, 2020 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter).

· After the closing date on January 26, 2021 at 11:59 pm GMT the winning entry will be chosen using Survey Monkey. Voting will be open from January 27 through January 29, 2021 at 11:59 pm GMT, and the winner will be announced on January 30, 2021. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload pictures of your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We always love to see anything you have created.

· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfill the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible, your entry will not be included in the voting.

· All the challenge mods reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.

SPECIFIC RULES FOR THE JANUARY, 2021 CHALLENGE

For this challenge you will be creating a soap design featuring planet or galaxy elements. The assembly of your soap MUST be made during the month of January, however if you have embed elements or soap scraps already made that are able to incorporate into your design you may do so.

Please enter a picture of at least two bars of soap that you have made with the theme.

Your design is not required to have planets, it may have stars, moons, or other outer space elements.

Some ideas for creating planets if you choose: column embeds, ball embeds, soap dough, soap shavings from beveling mixed with a bit of water and pressed into balls.

Your design may run through the entire bar, or only on the face of the bar.

Here are some inspiration photos:
Screenshot_20201230-221713__01.jpg

Screenshot_20201230-221740__01.jpg

Screenshot_20201230-221904__01.jpg

Screenshot_20201230-221920__01.jpg

Screenshot_20201230-221934__01.jpg

I have to admit that I took a stab at creating a planet themed soap using rebatch, and some extra star and ball embeds that I had laying around… and it did not go well for me. I blame my inexperience working with rebatch, HP with embeds… but I learned a lot from this go around, so I will be playing along as well – although not included in the voting :D I thought you would enjoy seeing my fail – I had a good laugh at it myself!
IMG_20210101_115556.jpg
IMG_20210101_115540.jpg

Good luck and I can’t wait to see the discussion and what everyone comes up with!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201230-221647__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-221647__01.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 31
1. dibbles - may the force be with us
2. Artemis - I hope I can squeeze it in this time!
3. AliOop - hmmm, what fragrance would go with this theme?

4. KimW

4. KimW
5. Zing - In a galaxy far, far away. Da-da-da Dah Daaah🎶

4. KimW
6. Sofiepie - what to do what to do.. can’t wait!

4. KimW
7. Mobjack Bay - OMG, I must be telepathic.

4. KimW
8. Bookreader451 - Should I try for 2 years? I have the galaxy mica collection. I want to see how it goes.

4. KimW
8. Bookreader451 - Should I try for 2 years? I have the galaxy mica collection. I want to see how it goes.

Giving the thread a bit of a bump up. My second attempt went a bit better, although it looks more like random planets in an asteroid belt. I'll share a pic when my life calms down (har, har har)

@AliOop I think you can make any fragrance work, I did watermelon mixed with eucalyptus spearmint - Out of the world watermelon. Fresh clean scents would be nice too. Anything with ozone notes. Dark orientals. This is what comes to my mind anyways. Maybe a nice soap to use a discoloring FO?

@bookreader451 Try for 2 years! Last year's soap was epic.

4. KimW
9. glendam - I have an idea and I hope it works for this theme!

4. KimW
10. GemstonePony - I may rue my ambitions, but here goes!

4. KimW
10. GemstonePony - I may rue my ambitions, but here goes!
I would love to do this technique - but we are busy house hunting these days, so it will have to wait. I am looking forward to what you guys do.

Back