SMF January 2022 Challenge - There's No Place Like Home

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primrose

Reaction score
Welcome to 2022 everyone! For the first challenge of the year, we will be making a soap based on the theme "There's No Place Like Home". This is an inspiration based soap - I want to see the soap that embodies "home" for you. It could be a colour scheme that reminds you of your home, it could be a scent, a scene, or even a locally sourced ingredient that is important to you.

PLEASE READ ALL RULES for the challenge even if you have participated before, because they have been changed and updated in recent months.

SMF Challenge General Rules

1. To enter you must have been a SMF member for at least one month and have a minimum of 50 posts at the time the Challenge is posted (sorry but no exceptions on this). Supporting Members can enter immediately, the time and post requirements are removed.

2. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign-up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry. The sign-up list will be posted in this thread.

3. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be sent by private message (via SMF conversations) to registered participants ONLY, so please check your messages when the voting begins.

4. A separate entry thread will be created and this is where you will post photos of your entry soap. Please do not post photos of your entry until the entry thread is opened. Post pictures of your entry soap only in the challenge entry thread.

Non-entry photos are always welcome and may be posted in the general challenge thread. The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts (other than your entry) where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members, and provide helpful hints you learned along the way.

5. Your soap must be made after the monthly challenge has been announced.

6. In the spirit of advancing our soap making skills, all members who sign-up for a SMF Challenge do so with the expectation that they will make every attempt to make a soap for the challenge. Writing about your experience in the challenge is encouraged. By doing so, each participant has a better knowledge of your process when voting. We do understand that sometimes things come up in our lives and throw our plans out of whack, however signing up with no intent to participate and only to vote is not in the spirit of the challenges and is not allowed.

7. Please add your name to the sign-up list if you wish to participate (you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have made), but please do post your experiences in the main Challenge thread and be prepared to be encouraged to continue trying.

8. Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please keep your comments polite.

• Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date.
  • The entry thread will open on Saturday 22nd January at 9AM GMT (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter).
  • After the closing date on Friday 28th January at 11:59 PM GMT the winning entry will be chosen using Survey Monkey. Voting will be open from January 29-30 and the winner will be announced on January 31st. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
  • If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload pictures of your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We always love to see anything you have created.
  • Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfill the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible, your entry will not be included in the voting.
  • All the challenge mods reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.

Specific rules for the No Place Like Home challenge:

- For this challenge you will create a soap that represents "home" and what it means to you.

- "Home" doesnt need to be where you currently are, it could be where you grew up or another location or place that feels like home to you.

- You may use any soap making process, any swirl or design technique and any colour/s that fit the purpose.

- Please enter a singe picture of at least 2 bars of soap

- Please explain your inspiration and how the soap you made embodies home for you. You can also add a photo of your home/inspiration if you choose.

Eg. Attached is a soap I make which is called "The Freo Doctor". This soap is made with ocean water collected at the beach close to my house and where I love to spend time with my friends, my dog and we even ride our horses onto the beach and in the water. The "Freo Doctor" is a local phrase that we use to describe the cool sea breeze that comes in of an evening and makes even the hottest day feel bearable at the end of it. The soap is also made with milk and tallow from my own goats raised here at home. The swirl is supposed to represent the waves of the ocean.

Freo doctor.jpg

This is an open ended challenge so get creative and have a bit of fun!

1.Vicki C - sure - I’ll go first!
2. Linne1gi - I’m in!
3. Misschief - I have time!
4. peachymoon - I'm excited for this one!
5. Tara_H - January is always a drag, so I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze in some soap!

Oooh I like this prompt! I had to change my plans due to COVID and will be staying a bit longer with family but away from my soaping tools, I'll try to plan now and I hope to have some time after the 23rd to squeeze in a January soap before the deadline!

2. Linne1gi - I’m in!
5. Tara_H - January is always a drag, so I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze in some soap!
6. Ladka - joining

2. Linne1gi - I’m in!
6. Ladka - joining
7. CreativeWeirdo - Challenge Accepted!

2. Linne1gi - I’m in!
6. Ladka - joining
8. Kaymay- first timer, but I will give it a go

2. Linne1gi - I’m in!
6. Ladka - joining
9.Violets2217- I’ve been avoiding this post, but can’t soap thinking about this soap. Grrr… you guys are sooo enabling!

2. Linne1gi - I’m in!
6. Ladka - joining
9.Violets2217- I’ve been avoiding this post, but can’t soap thinking about this soap. Grrr… you guys are sooo enabling!
10. Heather McClain- I saw this and immediately had a soap idea!

Well, this is going to be a challenge for sure! I’m going very artistic… lol! For me that is quite the endeavor! I’m going to try a landscape soap. So I’m attempting my one and only try today and as I get everything measured and mixed, my colors are going to be my problem. I’m not exactly sure how much of each I’m going to need for my design. I usually mix micas and such with batch oil… but if I’m not going to use it all then I should just disperse with extra almond oil. How much will that raise my SF? I’m not too concerned because it is a minimal amount, but something to consider!?!?

I see that members must have =>50 posts to qualify entry. Since I come here to learn from all the marvelous experts I don't have much to add, so I haven't posted often enough. Would dearly love to enter tho. Why this rule?

I see that members must have =>50 posts to qualify entry. Since I come here to learn from all the marvelous experts I don't have much to add, so I haven't posted often enough. Would dearly love to enter tho. Why this rule?
@Microchick , you posted 54 messages as of December 20th, so you should be all set to enter!

This rule was put in place by the SMF admins. I think it was to prevent people from joining for the sole purpose of joining only to participate/vote in the challenges. But @MellonFriend is correct - it looks like you had reached to 50 post requirement in December, so you can join in this challenge if you would like!

Back