SMF January 2020 Challenge Signup thread - Book Inspired

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Primrose THAT was your first rimmed soap?!? It's awesome! Love it!

I have made many, many failed rims that didnt even make it to going into the mould, lots of confetti and soap dough LOL
So while I'd had some half hearted attempts before, and its always been one of those things I wanted to do, I'd never really committed to it properly, or achieved it.
This is the first time I actually got a rim to hold together and got it into the mould :D

@BattleGnome those are awesome soaps! I love how this challenge inspires different techniques (like mp) and yours are especially beautiful
@Primrose wow.. just amazing how you got such a beautiful thin rim on your soap. I haven't had the courage to try that yet..
@bookreader451 I absolutely love the colors and wispy look of your fire

I have used the name bookreader451 on the internet since the 90's. Most people don't get the reference to Fahrenheit 451 in my name but, for those who do, it is like finding a kindred spirit. When I first read the book it was the ultimate dystopian hell, I could not ever imagine a world without books.

I totally got the reference first time I saw your moniker. Felt the same way when I read that book. I can't be without a book on the go.

Love your soap depiction.

@jcandleattic I'm interested in your idea to add silk to the lye water. Have you done this before? Does it affect the qualities of the soap? It sounds very neat
I've done it for years. I add it at the time I make my master-batch lye, so it is in every batch I make.
If you do a search on silk a ton of posts will come up on it and you can see what others feel adding silk does for the quality of soap. In short, it gives the end result of the cured soap a "silky" feel when using it. (no pun intended)

And of course thanks @amd for hosting this challenge:D it was a lot of fun to see everyone get creative!

Gosh thank you everyone!

Everyone's soaps were amazing, what a good start to the year. So inspired and well executed. I particularly loved @Kosmerta entry!

Congratulations to @dibbles and @bookreader451 and everyone else who entered.

Thanks also to @amd for hosting - I find non-technique based challenges quite ... err ... challenging o_O but had lots of fun with this one

Latest posts

Back